Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2018: 3 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 25 people
December 2017: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (7)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > So, why not woodies?...
So, why not woodies?...
(71 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 582
5th Aug 2018 12:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44648

Hi all, a coffee break question for you all.
You will know me if you know me at all as a lover of the woodie, the mahogany hotrod, the classic speedboat.
And I wonder why they are so very rarely modelled. There are plenty of plans for them and a few kits which can be made straight or converted into others. They are well documented on the 'net. There are some wonderful books about them (most of which I have!).

Yet where are they all? Surely they are more fun to fling round a pond than some old tanker/coaster. I realise tugs can be made to erm...tug, if the rest of the equipment is available, but it rarely seems to be.

Does the glamour of a highly varnished wooden or painted finish with chrome fittings not appeal? Does the average smallness of the classic speedboat not make for easy transport?

Not a criticism, just a ponder, but some response would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Martin

Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 16
5th Aug 2018 12:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44649

Good point. Maybe the beautiful wood finish is daunting to many people and putting builders off. It’s much easier being able to sand, fill and paint a hull etc to hide build quality than to construct it without the need for all of this. Just a thought.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 582
5th Aug 2018 13:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44650

A valid point, Brian, but many woodies were painted. Chris-Craft red and whites for instance. But veneers can be used for the "planks" over plywood shapes. That's how I made my Riva models.

Martin