Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (20)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > ESC info...
ESC info...
(570 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 762
7th Aug 2018 11:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44771

Hi all,
just plodding through ebay whilst having a cuppa and I see this ESC:-https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/60A-Brushless-Water-Cooling-Elect...

It appears to be programmable, but how would you programme it. There are no keys to press, etc.? I have read of programme cards for ESCs but don't have a clue why you would want to programme one. Would this appear to be a good deal? It seems to be. I would want to use it in my outboard motored kneeler hydro. Has a 2845 2600Kv motor, probably on 2S.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2332
7th Aug 2018 13:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44777

Hi Martin,
Scroll further down in the description and the How and Why of the programming is explained.
Basically; reverseable ESCs are generally factory set for the truckers,car racing and buggy boys!
That means that before you can go from forwards to reverse, or vice versa, the ESC commands the motor to stop, this is to protect the landlubbers gearboxes😉 It's irritating for boat drivers to have to shove the stick twice each time you want to reverse the motor, makes precise control more difficult.
So for boats you need to switch off this function.
Programming also means teaching the ESC the Max forward, Stop and Max reverse throttle stick positions.
Looks like a decent deal to me👍
A programming card isn't essential, you CAN use the TX and listen carefully to the 'Beeps', but the card is much easier.
More 'lecktrickery' 😁😁
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Aug 2018 14:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44778

So, the programming is done with the TX.? Ah, right. I didn't understand a word of the instructions, though. I don't want want backuds or brakes. It's an outboard racer. Don't do backuds. And my other boats, even if they had a brushless wouldn't do backuds either. All speedboats. I don't have a club to go to, so no fiddly steering competitions. Guy I met last Monday about setting up a local group has already disappeared. How like model boaters.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Aug 2018 15:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44780

Hi Martin,
If you don't need / want backuds then just buy an aircraft ESC with forwards only! No unnecessary complications then 😉
😎

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Aug 2018 16:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44781

I didn't realise they were made specifically. Should be cheaper too. I'll have a butcher's.

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Aug 2018 16:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44782

Oddly there's only one page of them and most are low Amperages. Maybe that one above is a good idea after all. I'm wondering how you can tell the amps of a motor if you don't have an ESC to run it with! And if you just buy anything to use, what amps should you get?
What governs the amps on a brushless set-up? Most use between 45A and 60A on the outboard boats.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Aug 2018 08:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44827

Hi Martin,
there's a good selection here. I selected the 'Plane' filter, LHS of the page.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/power-systems/speed-controllers/...
If you want high current you're gonna have to dig low in your pocket!!😲
Same page in pounds
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/power-systems/speed-controllers/...
Choose one about 80A+ with 'jammed motor protection' !!
This one perhaps
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-80a-2-6s-sbec-brushless-spee...
That's the snag with brushless , without the 'lecktrickery' they're just paperweights! Check the motor specs very carefully for current at max efficiency and MAX current. For testing 'unknown' motors get a 100A+ ESC. Put the ubiquitous 'Wattmeter' between the battery and the ESC to measure actual current drawn. Have fun, don't burn ya fingers😡
Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Aug 2018 12:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44829

Hi Doug, thanks for that, but I've just seen that every bloody one is out of stock! I figured it worth spending a little more on a Turnigy. Unfortunately so, clearly, have a lot of others. I'll see if they're available from others.

I checked the 152VO site and most use a Turnigy 60 A it seems and I assume are well pleased with them.

Thanks for the clarity about testing though, Doug. It's good to hear what one guesses at being confirmed by an expert.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Aug 2018 12:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44830

Hi Martin,
this one's in stock, and in the UK warehouse! 😊
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-plush-60amp-speed-contro...
Cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Aug 2018 12:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44831

Or this one
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobbyking-yep-60a-2-6s-sbec-brus...
and it has
Blocked rotation protection (senses a jammed motor and stops motor rotation) 👍
Get one of these to go with it so you can get the best out of the ESC and motor
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/yep-esc-programming-card.html

Ciao, Doug
BTW: Some stuff might be out of stock at the UK warehouse but still available at the EU warehouse in Holland. You'll get the stuff just as quick from them and still duty free - until BREXIT 🤔

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Aug 2018 17:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44837

I was looking at that one!
But as for the programming card...Gawd knows. I wouldn't know where to begin!
Right now I'm bloody panicking as I can't find the Supermarine motor for the Crash Tender! I thought it was in the old motor drawer, but it ain't. I'm crossing fingers it's in a box in the loft. My son-in-law will have to go up there when the weather cools. Even he doesn't deserve the temperatures up there!

Got my watt meter today, so that's now in a box with the condition meter and multi-meter, oh and the chenglish Charger and its power pack. BL motor and CNC 32mm prop still on the slow boat. So the ESC will be the last of the clobber for a while. By the time I have it all together it'll be Winter and all put away again!

Thanks again, Doug.

Cheers,
Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Aug 2018 17:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44838

I notice that card thing has cell numbers starting at 4. I will never use more than 2 or 3S. Does that make it unusable? All the rest means nothing to me at all!

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Aug 2018 07:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44907

Hi Martin,
The card starts at 4S because the ESCs recognise 2S and 3S themselves.
You only have to tell 'em if you are using bigger batteries.
BUT: looking at the manuals I see a whole load of other 'stuff' for the flyboys which is useless for boaters and would need to be switched off🤔
e.g. 'Flywheel', 'Governor'. To change some of these functions you apparently need an 'extension cable' which only further complicates the issue 😡
Sooo! Stick with the deal you found at the start of this thread and just switch off the 'Brake' function. This easy to do. You only have to select the Mode 'Forward/Reverse' or 'No Brake'. The ESC will normally be delivered in Mode 'Forward/Brake/Reverse'. I have done this with all my 'Car' ESCs only takes a few seconds😊
Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Aug 2018 08:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44908

Ah, that explains that then, Thanks. I got the motor yesterday. It looks a very nicely made thing. I'll finish the boat and then think about ESCs and batteries. Do you have any recommendations for makes of LiPos? My local shop does 2 and 3S Overlanders for around the 15 quid mark.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Aug 2018 09:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/44910

Mornin' Martin,
Pure curiosity! Which motor is it?
Re LiPos, recommendation difficult🤔
Different Brand names seem to prevale in UK and Germany, unless the ubiquitous Turnigy!
Whatever the brand and wherever the shop is you buy from they nearly all seem to be manufactured in southern China, Shenzhen mostly!
( I have kit for a Shenzhen class modern destroyer of the PLA Navy!)

The price for the Overlanders looks good, and if the shop values it's reputation they will be good, and they're nearby if the wheel falls off👍
Cheers, Doug😎
PS Your 'stuff' should be on it's way tomorrow. Weather cooled down 15° or more, currently 18° and drizzly rain with occasional short sharp downpours all day today - one extreme to the other! Mail coming today re 'Brass Bashing' etc.

Attached Files - Click To View Large