Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
September 2018: 11 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 16 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (13)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Tony O
Tony O
(556 views)
Jerry1
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 10
6th Sep 2018 23:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45899

Just found out a very good friend from early days at Chichester Lakeside Model Boat passed away early this year. Many a good Sunday sail plus after hours drink at the club monthly meeting, talking on how to model engineer scale boats. Not to forget Midhurst exhibitions over the years.
Ex Scale Secretary Jerry Turner

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 682
7th Sep 2018 10:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45906

Must be nice to have a model boat club of that kind with chatty club nights, etc.
Can't get a damned thing going round here.

Martin

Jerry1
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Sep 2018 22:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45935

Chichester Lakeside Model Boat Club was a great club. No longer going! Where are you trying to start a club?

Bryan-the-pirate
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 61
8th Sep 2018 07:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45955

Chichester Canal model boat group welcomes new members

Shiver my Timbers and Splice the mainbrace
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Sep 2018 09:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45957

I'm in the Fenland (Wisbech) area. We have a canalised river (no appreciable flow) to use, but no takers. I'm fed up with asking.

Why did Chichester Lakeside die if it was such a good club?

Martin

Jerry1
(Sub-Lieutenant)

8th Sep 2018 10:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45959

Like all clubs, the price of kits and alike! And the same people doing maintenance on jetty’s and rowing boat plus ground maintenance. The members dropped to only a hand full and I think the lake we used, permission was stopped due to new owners.

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Sep 2018 12:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45960

Hmmm, too many old farts who can't be arsed any longer, as witness the canal club needing new members, too.
It's the beginning of the "Big desertion", where those of a certain age lose their transport, their strength, their wits and, ultimately, their lives.
And if the lake is privately owned, they can no doubt make more from the morons who dangle a hook all day to avoid the wife.

There's a lot to be said for canals, rivers and independence.

Martin (The Anarchists' Boat Club)

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 369
8th Sep 2018 15:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45965

Well said Martin. It would be nice if us old farts got together and taught those who say we're past it how real enthusiasts of modelling get things done.
Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Sep 2018 15:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45966

Trouble is Colin, there ain't no young'uns coming along who want to know.
My attitude, as ever, has to revert to "F*** 'em all".

Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Sep 2018 15:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45967

Rather harsh, but true, I only get to sail with my club about 4 times a year, age, health, travelling distance of 25 miles each way make my hobby mostly a lonely one. Luckily my wife enjoys model boats as well.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Sep 2018 20:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45975

So, do you sail alone nearer than that 25 miles, Colin? I have only to go up the road turn left and go for 3 miles ish and I have a slipway, a bridge and no other boats. I wouldn't dream of travelling as far as I would have to for the nearest club and anyway, I met some of them before....ye Gods what a bunch!

Cheers,
Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Sep 2018 20:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45977

I can use a beautiful weed free lake about 500yds walk, but without help I can only take my small boats, so the main fleet only get out 3 or 4 times a year. Except for the vintage shows I go to display at.
Cheers Colin.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Sep 2018 21:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45980

Can't you get the club members to sail there? Looks lovely, provided there's a rescue boat!

Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Sep 2018 22:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45984

There aren't any living near me, though they have been to look at it but decided that the access isn't good enough, and no nearby facilities. I sometimes see a group of modellers with flying boats like catalinas and Sunderlands. Otherwise I have it all to myself.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Sep 2018 09:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45995

There, what did I say? ....F*** em all. They'd rather whinge than get on with enjoying it. I bet they all drive Honda Jazzes and Nissan Notes and used to rush home for Sunday lunch!
You're better off on yer own, mate.
We could actually witness the death of model boating in our lifetimes.

Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Sep 2018 09:50  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45997

It won't die in our family, there are now 4 generations of us ranging from a spritely 94yr old down to the 4yr old who has been learning about manoeuvring since his 3rd birthday. He can control my tugs nearly as well as me.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Sep 2018 09:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45999

I'm afraid the 4 year old will get school friends and a 'phone, then he'll be lost to worthwhile endeavour. I watched it happen with my grandson. I have pictures of him helping me build a shed and clean an engine when he was four. Now he won't put the 'phone down except to pick up a play station handle. Has no interest whatsoever in making or doing anything. Still hugs his Nan, but that's it and now he's started senior school even she will have lost him for ten years. It's the inevitable transit of things these sad days.
Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Sep 2018 10:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46002

Yes, but feed the seed and it will eventually bloom. Even I have to admit that I got distracted by girls and motor bikes for a while, but luckily the family kept my models and so eventually I went back to modelling.
Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Sep 2018 12:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46006

That might have been the case before the mobile phone/mini computer boom, Colin, but now they don't learn anything at school, there are no clubs at school and all they want is 'phone games/youtubes of other nerds playing games better than them (yes really!!).
They simply cannot see any pleasure or fulfillment in making something and let's face it, apart from racing yachts and very fast raceboats, model boat operation will bore the best of us after 5 minutes! Going round and round with a coaster is limited to say the least. I get my pleasure from making them and almost none from playing with them. Try offering that as an argument to a kid who loves Fortnight or Minecraft. You haven't a chance! Model aircraft or car racing will always take them if there's a hint of interest as those are more exciting, if expensive.

Martin

Bryan-the-pirate
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 61
9th Sep 2018 13:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46008

A quick correction, I said Chichester Canal model boat group welcomes new members not needs them.

If you want to get a club going anywhere. Publicise it and announce where the meetings are people will come.

There are two types of people in any group, People who work and people who let them.

Shiver my Timbers and Splice the mainbrace
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2224
9th Sep 2018 23:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46033

"Thus spoke Zarathustra, Harbinger of Doom and Gloom"
Martin:
if any youngster with a glimmer of interest stumbles across this site and immediately sees in 'Latest posts' comments such as Quote "F*** em all" and "My attitude, as ever, has to revert to "F*** 'em all", do you really think that that is encouraging?

There are glimmers of truth in what you say BUT
mis- and overuse of smartphones / I-Pads etc etc can be restricted by the use of apps designed for just that purpose. Apart from the fact that the parents (to a lesser extent perhaps also the grandparents) of course have a major guiding role in such matters. Or should have!
And don't come with the old chestnut that the kids today can get around such apps.
If that's really the case then leave 'em alone to go on to make their millions writing software, designing games or hacking banks and insurance companies! 😁 Those are the extreme exceptions though.

As long as 'WE' live WE will not witness the death of model boating!

Oh! and BTW: just because someone has other interests and a different attitude to life to your apparently somewhat blinkered one (e.g. w.r.t. 'woodies' versus functional working boats and ships), e.g. angling, does not mean he is a moron.
That said it doesn't surprise me at all that you had no luck trying to start a club. Lighten up a bit and 'Live and Let Live'.
Nevertheless, all the best, Doug😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Sep 2018 23:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46039

No Doug, you have quite the wrong idea about me. I would love to get a club going and have done all I could to do so including meeting the one only geezer who offered to have a cuppa in the local caff. We parted with him saying he'd tell those members of a distant club he went to that had water problems and would call me. Guess what? You know the rest. THAT's why my attitude is **** '**. I've had it constantly from model boaters. Little enclaves of mates who will NOT countenance new members (model railways clubs too as it happens, more old farts). What else should I say faced with that attitude. No, I am NOT a tolerant or patient man, that's for sure. Patience is just an excuse for wasting time.
I have no idea what apps are available for 'phone control. I don't even have one. Whilst my kids have made an excellent job generally of raising my Grandchildren, they don't seem to know either what to do about the latest fad for Playstation and 'phone.
But one things for sure, none of them show the slightest interest in making or doing anything and are part of the first generation to be absolutely bloody useless.
I just hope the three of my 5 grandchildren who have common sense will do something with that, but I know damned well it won't be keeping modelmaking going or any other endeavour that requires real skill and application. These matters are of concern in all the hobbies I have any interest in. Old boats (yes Woodies and why not?), old aircraft, old bikes and old cars. As long as WE live, eh? Well that ain't gonna be that much longer in any kind of fit state to go the pond on a regular basis with heavy models. So actually we WILL be witnessing the death of all those groups I mention above and many more. From the care home windows, unless we're lucky enough to cop our clogs before that living death happens. When you hear "Can't be arsed" from the mouths of, effectively, babes, you know the craft world is in trouble. And I mean craft, not gluing bits of cut card together with Prit sticks under the banner of that foul word "crafting".
I really couldn't give a **** if I was the only person left in the world making woodies. I do it for me only these days in the absence of any clubs. But I don't have to pretend to like all the other stuff. In another place are people who not only do sail, but specifically model barge racing and good on 'em. I don't ask that they do all the other stuff. And as far as I can see they don't.
My comments about the future are based on my observations and chats with established long term members of those hobbies who all agree the end really is nigh. All those balding, grey haired, pot bellied, probably bearded old geezers standing around with stoops from their long knackered backs, all wondering whether this time next year they'll still have their Honda Jazz or a mobility scooter.
If that's how it's all going, so be it. As you say we won't be here to witness the real death. And the more exciting aspects of the model hobby? There was a programme on tonight about modelmakers flying re-runs of Battle of Britain air battles with similar sized models, laser guns, damage smoke, etc. 2 youngish blokes, the rest, including the German contingent, older guys. Oh and a Tranny and I don't mean a transmitter! In 10 years time that programme will not be makeable.
BTW the Tranny was by far the best pilot.

Cheers,
Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 380
10th Sep 2018 01:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46049

I watched that prog too. Aircraft being my other main hobby.(and angling ) There is at least one other "Tranny" in the hobby and she also is a very good model maker/flyer. Is there anything in it d'ye think?🤔

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 380
10th Sep 2018 02:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46053

My 2nd son now in early 50s has returned to both boats and planes and is teaching a couple of his teenage sons how to do it and is picking my brains along the way. Needless to say I'm delighted there is some new blood in the hobbies. I've suggested they join Rhyl MFC and Colwyn Bay MBC. Those being the nearest clubs to Dyserth where they live. I wish a couple more of my lads would do it too. I've got 5 of them. 3 of whom have children.👍

NPJ
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 135
10th Sep 2018 02:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46055

Delyn Model Flying Club would be a good one for them as well.

On Junction 31 A55.

NPJ

NPJ
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2224
10th Sep 2018 03:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46057

No Martin, I don't think so.
Once again; it's not so much what you say but HOW you say it.
If your chat with the 'only geezer' was in the same vein as your recent posts I can fully understand that the reaction was 'don't call us - we'll call you'.
Patience is NOT an excuse for wasting time. It is an essential component of successful negotiation. During my career I was often involved in systems design and contract negotiations for COMMS systems for ships yet to be ordered and built. Many of such projects took 5 to 7 years or more to come to fruition. My perseverance and patience paid off.
I was the one who signed the contracts! I often heard from the shipyards and/or navies involved that they were put off by the 'pushy' tactics used by my competitors with less patience.
Tolerance is also not a weakness. Lack of it IS.
Differing opinions are fine, just depends how they are expressed.
Denigrating and insulting others who have differing interests as morons is not the 'fine English art' !
Re: Dumbphone control Apps; YOU don't necessarily need to know (a Luddite wouldn't want to or need to anyway!) but the parents of your grand kids SHOULD in this day and age. Tell 'em to look for Apps like 'Quiet Time'. This enables them to define times that the kids can access the web online via smartphone and when it is blocked.
And no, the kids can't normally get around it. If they can; leave 'em alone to make their millions!
Re: Woodies; Super duper. You have seen that I have put a tremendous amount of effort into renovating the Sea Scout that my Dad built in the early sixties. I enjoyed the process and learned a lot doing it. But I am not fixed on that particular line of model boat / model ship building. If that's your only thing - fine. But why berate those of us who take a wider view and also have an interest and find challenges in making shipboard functions work in miniature in all sorts of ships?

"I really couldn't give a sh*t if I was the only person left in the world making woodies. I do it for me only these days in the absence of any clubs. But I don't have to pretend to like all the other stuff. In another place are people who not only do sail, but specifically model barge racing and good on 'em. I don't ask that they do all the other stuff"

No, of course you don't have to pretend to like 'all the other stuff' but you also don't have to decry those that DO like the other stuff, as you often do the tug aficionados for instance.
OK, I can understand an aversion to warships as such if someone is a died in the wool pacifist, but nevertheless some appreciation of the skills involved in producing such outstanding warship models as seen on this site is not out of order, or...?
(Bye the bye; I've often noticed that 'pacifists' have a particularly aggressive way of expressing themselves!?)

After 30 odd years here in Germany I'm out of touch with the ground roots in UK, but over here things don't look so black. There are thriving model boat clubs all over. W.r.t. 'exciting aspects'; there are clubs in Germany, Holland and France and Italy also I think who happily and skilfully re-enact sea battles and convoy battles. There is at least one club in South England that also does that I believe, in Southampton or Portsmouth?
Don't get Channel 4 here (re Battle of Britain re-run you mentioned) but I do get DMAX, which shows a series called 'Die Modellbauer'. In this the crémé de la crémé of German model making is depicted and judged for the annual cup at the International Model Show here.
It covers everything from fire trucks, excavators, boats and ships of all kinds, and aircraft of of all types including turbine jets.
Criteria for the competition being: 1) Shall be externally identical to the original in every detail (down to the rivets!)l, 2) Shall be able to perform each and every function of the original. 3) 150 days to design, complete and demonstrate the model.
The point being that with extremely few solo exceptions the models are almost always built by a father and son partnership.
So, sorry if the situation is drastically different in UK but 'over here' it ain't so black as you paint. Maybe it's a question of the attitude of the parents?
BTW: for a fantastic example of 'modelling on a mammoth scale' pop across to Hamburg and have a look at the 'Miniature Wonderland' in the old Hafen City. All 1/87 scale, the largest model railway layout in the world, but also all types of aircraft and ships in action as well.
Also shown from time to time on various documentary TV channels.
BTW2: don't worry about the brass bashing, I'll work it out for myself.
Have fun with the Taycols.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change,
the Courage to change things that I can, and
the Wisdom to know the difference!