Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (35)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Styrene Allergy?
Styrene Allergy?
(661 views)
Nerys
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 15
8th Oct 2018 01:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46840

I started building a dutch coaster recently from a kit which is all plastic and styrene. I have no experience of using these materials. Progressing reasonably well but am finding that my fingers are becoming very sore, splitting and losing top layer of skin. Lips are swelling too. I can only guess this is a reaction to the styrene and would like to know if anybody else has this problem and how they get round it apart from stopping the build. Any help will be gratefully received.

Regards,
Nerys

When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 507
8th Oct 2018 02:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46841

Hi Nerys,

You have to ask yourself. Is it the Styrene or is it the glue?
Why don't you try using surgical gloves!
Non allergenic gloves might help.
Give it a try and see if this helps!
If not you might have to stop the build.
Until you figure out what your allergic to!
Hope this helps....

Cheers, Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 462
8th Oct 2018 04:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46842

Also put your lippy on or some lip salve too Keeps the fumes away from your lips.X👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2484
8th Oct 2018 08:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46851

.... and make sure the working area is well ventilated, an extractor fan helps enormously, as also with spray painting or soldering (esp with the old lead based solders). It's the solvents drying your skin out, removes all the skin oils. Can make your eyes sting as well. 😭 Cheers, Doug

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 796
8th Oct 2018 10:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46856

An old friend of mine in Santa Monica who'd made models for years suddenly found he had a sensitivity to styrene and resins and had to pack it up. He bravely decided to go over to all metal work, but something about that disagreed with him too and he packed up all modelmaking as it was starting to affect his wife too. Heaven knows what it could have been with the metal as it was all brass, so none of that nasty storage oil they put on steels.
I think I'd just put up with it as I couldn't stop modelmaking even if I wanted to. I did painting when we lived afloat for lack of space, but I didn't find it satisfying enough.

Martin

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 274
8th Oct 2018 13:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46862

If he was heating /melting the brass it could be zinc fumes which if inhaled or ingested can give galvanic poisoning which can give flu type symptoms and the need to stay close to the toilet. that's why if your brazing always do it in a well ventilated area .

Cheers marky

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

8th Oct 2018 15:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46866

Certainly not melting and I'm pretty sure it was soft solder only as I know he had no knowledge of silver soldering.
I use silver solder (hard soldering) all the time and have done for over 50 years, most of it with cadmium rich (still, I get it from ebay) and I have had no unpleasant reactions. OK, currently I have the shed door open as it's a very small shed, but I never used to in a 7x5. Before that the space was always bigger. Cadmium free modern silver solder is crap as it will not flow as well as Cadmium containing.

Martin

Nerys
(Sub-Lieutenant)

10th Oct 2018 18:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46948

I started this post hoping to get advice on allergic reaction to modelling with styrene but it seems to have turned into soldering problems. I'd really like to know if anybody else has had any trouble with styrene and how they coped with it.

Fair winds,
Nerys

When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
Tug_Hercules
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 4
10th Oct 2018 21:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46958

Not necessarily allergic to Styrene, but many are allergic to CA Glue.

Once a CA Glue sensitivity develops, it is difficult to overcome.

Try masks; try good ventilation.

Even when cutting Styrene, ensure You have good ventilation.

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 435
10th Oct 2018 22:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46961

Hi Nerys, my son is allergic to all types of plastic glue, so he only works with other materials. I am allergic to rust, not good when you work with iron and steel. I have to use gloves and a mask.
It may be advisable to ask your gp for a skin allergy test.
Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

10th Oct 2018 23:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46963

Since Styrene itself is an oil, suspected in some countries of being carcinogenic, used in producing various polyxxx plastics, I strongly suspect the the glue is the source of the problem as you can't be coming into contact with styrene oil itself.
So I repeat, good ventilation, extractor fan, thin latex surgical gloves and a face mask as one should also use when spraying. Cheers, Doug 😎
PS Sell that kit and buy something friendlier!😉

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Styrene

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2018 09:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46980

Where gloves are concerned, use blue nitrile as there are probably more people allergic to latex than styrene!

Don't know about you though, but I can't breathe in any mask worth it salt. I just do it all outside in the almost permanent breeze that blows round my bungalow. I stand in the doorway of the shed and spray out into the great blue yonder.
Styrene, fortunately doesn't affect me. When Slater's first popularised Plastikard, old man Slater used to demonstrate the making of things like model house window frames with Micro strip and Slater's own solvent called Mek-Pak. The smell was glorious and just oozed quality modelmaking to me. I always made a bee-line to Slater's stand at any suitable exhibition. These days I use Plastic Weld as it does more plastics than just styrene and it doesn't have that lovely "esterish" smell.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2018 10:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46981

Good point about the gloves Martin!👍
Not being affected (like Granny used to say "No sense, no feeling"!) I hadn't considered that and never 'eard of blue nitrile!
Would be interesting to know which glue Nerys is using!
Would also recommend that she washes her plastic stock with washing up liquid, to remove any possible residue from the production process, before starting to cut it.
Cheers, Doug

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2018 12:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46983

Spoke with the H&S Adviser at the University he said that disposable masks are no good for Styrene fumes you would need a filter type like 3M 6051,he also said if your allergic to handling it best to use Black Nitrile gloves as used by tattooists and to sook the fumes off with a vacuum or extractor.👍

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2018 15:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46991

Styrene fumes? You'll only get fumes if you heat it.

My chum works a vac-former to make model car glazing and he thoroughly washes every sheet of PVC before forming it. Stops micro-bubbles forming.

I use blue nitriles when epoxying. I always found latex melted on contact with most of the things I used, like enamel paint, Marineflex, etc. Nitriles stay put.

Martin

Nerys
(Sub-Lieutenant)

11th Oct 2018 17:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47003

I ceased work on the kit for a few days for my hands to recover and am now using blue nitrile gloves. I am using Revell Contacta Professional glue. Since resuming work, I have had no problems - so far, so good! I can't see that fumes come into the equation unless the styrene is being heated.

Nerys

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2018 18:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47006

Glad to hear that Nerys 👍 All's well ... 😉
Don't forget to Blog the build!!
I use Contacta as well, good stuff.
Cheers, Doug 😎

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2018 21:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47016

Sorry joined the thread late on ,when brass fumes etc were being mentioned ,black nitrile are very good for folk who are very sensitive to talc and other types if powder used inside some gloves