Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
October 2018: 5 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 8 people
January 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (13)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Cleaning sails, toy yachts, etc....
Cleaning sails, toy yachts, etc....
(256 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 762
11th Oct 2018 15:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46993

I just got a lovely old Star SY 3 yacht and needed to clean some filthy sails. My wife suggested Vanish and blow me down with a genoa, it's working. A generally mid to dark grey (I believe oil based) grubbiness has all but disappeared and I should be able to re-rig them with some new off white 1.3mm string from Caldercraft fittings at Cornwall Model Boats. I can make new styrene bowsies and any metal hooks and loops. I've scraped the mast and bowsprit fittings of rust until they look shiny again, repaired a broken mast and repainted the green edging which had been a bit knocked about.
I love doing these restorations more than making new stuff!

Martin

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 415
11th Oct 2018 15:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46996

Snap, I'm a bit of a restoration freak myself, a lot of our vintage sailing boats look terrible with bright new looking sails so my wife nicks a tea bag and washes in tea allowing to dry naturally then dabbing with a wet tea bag to add shading then iron dry, wallah antique sails.
Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
Lordgord
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 3
11th Oct 2018 16:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46997

Why haven' I thought of that?
Thanks for the tip your admiralship😜

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2332
11th Oct 2018 16:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/46998

Bunch of old forgers!! 😁😁
Any chance of a few tenners!?😉

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Oct 2018 17:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47002

Tenners...tenners....Oh you mean old tea bags we've used ten times, Doug. I'm sure Colin can oblige

Used to dodge up "old" pencil sketches and water colours with cold tea, Colin. Been forging for years. If the experts can't tell, sod 'em! Vanish has done a superb job. Wifey's just rinsed out and will be washing them carefully by hand. But there will be some residue left. Apparently the bleach element of Vanish is a Sodium Carbonate and doesn't damage fibres like ordinary bleach.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2332
11th Oct 2018 18:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47007

More power to your teabags Gents 😁
Who's going to build the first Tea Clipper!?
Happy dunking, Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Oct 2018 20:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47041

My wee red boat after a rub down and a file/sand on the steel keel. This morning I painted the red with HMG enamel and got the green mixed in the same make enamel by my wonderful chap at Kett's Auto Paints.

The mast came in two parts, so I did a slight scarf and glued it. When the joint is well set, I'll make a splint and set it in prior to a rub down and a good waxing.
The steel (tinplate) parts came with the predictable rust, but with my selection of scrapers and chisels made of broken and worn Swiss files I was able to scrape most of it off back to reasonable shiny steel. The out of shapeness needed only a clout with a cold chisel type of bodywork tool in the right places to restore it to original shape. Loops were filed to lose most of their rust, but not replaced. They'll be Vaselined as a form of anti rust, waterproofing. I have some new 1.3mm cord coming from Caldercraft. I just hope I can remember how it was rigged. I ain't great with knots.
The sails were absolutely filthy with some sort of oil based grime, but my dear bride sorted them out with Vanish and a good hand wash. Pics of those tomorrow.

I love this stuff.!

Martin

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Bryan-the-pirate
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 63
13th Oct 2018 06:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47061

The Star yacht is looking great.

I was Thinking a Tea clipper would probably leave you browned off.😁

Shiver my Timbers and Splice the mainbrace
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Oct 2018 09:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47066

Haha, it would Bryan as I can't get into big square riggers. Too much for this bear of little brain to retain.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Oct 2018 10:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47072

Here's the yacht after the first coat of red enamel and the keel sprayed with self etch primer ready for the green later, but it's raining, dammit!

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

13th Oct 2018 12:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47084

Here's the sails. New rigging cord arrived today too.

Martin