Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (12)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Help required on Boat i.d.
Help required on Boat i.d.
(556 views)
Rookysailor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 113
20th Oct 2018 22:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47303

Can anyone assist, been to the model boat show at Blackpool today, bought a hull and plan for what I thought could be an interesting build, only problem is when I googled the boat.....no feedback, the hull/plan and some superstructure is of a :
M.P.C. 85 freelance general purpose corvette built by Vosper, if any help I can post a photo of the hull and superstructure.

many thanks, Peter🤔

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2484
20th Oct 2018 23:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47305

Hi Peter,
I worked on some Vosper Thornycroft (later BAE Marine Systems) corvette projects in the 90's; Nakhoda Ragam-class corvettes for Brunei (eventually bought by Indonesia after a dispute between VT and Brunei), Qahir class and Khareef class for Oman. Please post the hull and super photos, plus the drawing ID box on the plan, and I might be able to identify your hull!
MPC stands for Multi Purpose Corvette.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Oct 2018 23:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47306

Ok Peter, ich schau mal was sich finden lässt! 😉
Alles Gute, Doug 😎
Ooops! Wrong thread, sorry😲

Rookysailor
(Commander)

21st Oct 2018 18:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47337

Hi Doug, Hope these few photo's will help you i.d. the relevant
corvette.

cheers Peter👍

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Rookysailor
(Commander)

21st Oct 2018 22:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47350

Apologies for not correcting the rotation of the pictures.....

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

21st Oct 2018 23:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47351

Sorry Peter, don't recognise that 🤔 Nothing I ever clambered about on.
Seems to be an older design than those that I worked on.
i suspect that it was not exactly a commercial success.

Actually I was hoping for full profile and plan pics for identification, but at least the 'Atlantic bow' is bit of a give away of the age of the design.
Doug 😎

Rookysailor
(Commander)

21st Oct 2018 23:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47352

Hi Doug, will try and photograph a better set of pics of the profile and plans, hope this hull is not a fictitious idea of someone, seems strange no mention of it anywhere.

goodnight Peter😤

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 462
22nd Oct 2018 00:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47355

I spotted MPC 85 on the plan. Would that be enough to start a search on VT site? If there is such a thing. I'll have a go but don't let it stop anyone else trying.👍
Found this.---https://www.google.co.uk/search?nfpr=1&q=Vosper+Thornycroft+... ----- any use This site gives a list of vessels that may help.-----
https://www.battleships-cruisers.co.uk/vosper_thornycroft.ht...

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Oct 2018 00:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47356

Hi John, already did that on all the Vosper, Vosper Thornycroft, BAE Systems Surface Ships etc etc sites. Nix!
I suspect it may have been a design offered for an Request To Tender but not accepted and never built.
Nevertheless, have a go and see if you find something I overlooked👍
MPC 85 means; Multi Purpose Corvette 85m.
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS also worked on the VT Mk10 Frigates also shown in your link, the Niteroi Class for Brazil. Niteroi is the name of the town on the other side of the bay from Rio. At the other end of the bridge connecting the two towns is the Brazilian Navy submarine base where I also worked on some Tupi class submarines, German Type 209s. Good times 😉
PPS I'm still suspicious of that curious stern! Never seen anything like that afloat!!

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 462
22nd Oct 2018 02:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47357

Cheers Doug Yep I Knew what it meant. You've probably covered what I've added but could be useful if not. Your suspicion re the Request To Tender design would seem reasonable and is very likely correct. It's😎 certainly an odd looking hull. I wonder if the university where they did testing know anything. Was it Leicester? Regards John.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Oct 2018 10:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47364

Mornin' John,
Don't know where they tested, would have thought possibly Southampton as that was where VT were based, Woolston.
All the best, Doug

Rookysailor
(Commander)

22nd Oct 2018 17:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47375

Here again Doug, hopefully with better pics.
Could not get full photo length of hull, so two shots with the black cable as a center point, hope that makes sense?😁
There are two photo's showing the F/G foward s/structure and the upper s/structure, which looks like a funnel?
Very hard to believe anyone would go to such trouble making a F/G hull and parts for a ship that was never launched.
But it's possible😆

Thanks to everyone trying to find an answer.

Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Oct 2018 19:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47381

Thanks Peter, 👍
I think we're closing in on it. I can see a distinct 'heritage' in the hull shape from the Vosper MK5s built for Iran, except for that peculiar hull slope down!!😲 Could be a later derivative with the heli deck and hangar added on the stern. The MK5 was also further developed into the RN Type 21 frigate.

The guy who made the hull didn't seem to follow the plan too carefully did he! Pic 3 looks like the forward superstructure with bridge and missile platform, forward Sea Dart probably.
Pic 4 looks roughly like the aft superstructure and mast/stack base.
I'm still digging, more later.
Cheers, Doug 😎

kevinsharpe
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 19
22nd Oct 2018 20:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47383

Hi
When you research vosper thornycroft they built many warships for foreign navies, mainly in the Middle East i.e. Oman Malaya etc. if you ok on e bay under vosper you will see photographs of these vessels. It. Islikely that your model is authentic and was built for a foreign, likely middle eastern navy.

Regards
Kevin