Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Videos
Videos
(624 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 795
26th Oct 2018 10:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47460

Hi, I have a new camera thanks to my dear bride and it takes video. What it doesn't say in the book is how long a video one can take. It has a micro 8 GB card, so how long could I video something? Anyone know?

Martin

steve-d
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 35
26th Oct 2018 11:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47461

Don't have a direct answer but would suggest you check the instructions and find the max card size you can use. A 64 card would pretty much cover anything you wanted to do and they are not expensive.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 470
26th Oct 2018 12:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47463

Hi Westquay,
Maybe this'll help

8GB

Recording speed

24 Mbps 40 min
8 Mbps 120 min

Cheers, Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Oct 2018 22:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47475

Hi, thanks. No idea what Mbps are or how to change them from one to another, but 40 minutes is plenty to just record bits of boats afloat. I've often wondered about a youtube channel showing people how to make stuff. My 11 year old grandson lectured me on it yesterday! "You'll need a decent camera with a tripod, Grandad", he said knowledgeably, "and a mike and you need a nickname and an Intro and an Outro" He wasn't impressed when I joked that that was a track on a Genesis album.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2415
26th Oct 2018 23:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47476

Evenin' Martin,
Forget the Mbps (Megabits per second), what counts is the resolution of the photos or videos that you take. The higher the resolution (more dots per picture or Frame in the case of video) the more 'dot' information has to be stored = more memory and a faster Mbps rate are needed.
Not to mention the number of frames per second, FPS; you film at! Anything over 25FPS fools the eye and the brain into 'seeing' continuous movement. very high frame rates, up to 50FPS, are only needed if you are filming F1 Hydroplane races or similar!
Sooooo, higher resolution or frame rate means shorter playing time for a given amount of memory, i.e. your micro card. In the camera menu there will be a point in the Video section where you can select the resolution. HD is best !!
Set the camera to HD (or Fine) resolution, record a 5 or ten minute video and check how much space you have left on your card.
Most camera displays will give you this info in terms of 'Time left' at the set resolution. My Sony and Pentax do .
Again, give me the camera make and model and I'll see if I can find this info on the manufacture site.
Bon chance mon ami, cheers Doug

Most cameras also have some fixed internal memory as well as a card slot, with a corresponding Menu point where you can choose where to store your photos or videos.
There is also usually a section in the manual describing the video function and a table of resolution settings versus how long you can record with a given memory size.
These days the User Guide supplied with the camera is often very rudimentary and you are invited to download the full Monty manual from the manufactures website. The 'User Guide' should contain this web address.
Give me the camera make and model number and I'll see what I can find.

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Oct 2018 10:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47486

Morning, Doug. What a gent and a Boy Scout you are, sir. This is all new to me. My old video camera was just that, a video camera as of old. Perfectly fine till the batteries died and then I could only use it on the power pack indoors. It looked like a cine camera!

This is a Praktika Luxmedia WP240. It says it has HD video, 720p on the box lid, whatever that means!

Thanks for any help, old chum.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Oct 2018 13:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47491

Hi Martin,
OK, I've found the manual and an extended data sheet.
Will digest that and get back to you tomorrow.
Gotta go and finish making new fence posts now! 😡

'Be prepared', 😉 Doug

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Oct 2018 15:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47493

Thanks, Doug. Peeing down here, so I epoxied the cracks in my lovely old just post War Ailsa yacht indoors and put it in the heat of the boiler room! We'll see how that goes tomorrow. Grotty old day all round now. Curl up weather!

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Oct 2018 16:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47496

Same here Martin drizzle all day. What they call here 'Kuschelwetter', cuddling weather! 😉
Forecasted to remain so through Monday, then we start getting warm winds from Italy again. Temperature back up to 20°C by Friday😊 You may remember the Föhn wind from your time in Sauerlach.
Still, managed to get started with the preservative on my fence posts.
Mounting will have to wait until Thursday or Friday I expect.
More info tomorrow when I've dug a bit deeper into the partly contradictory Praktika docs!! Cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Nov 2018 22:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47762

H Martin, sorry it took longer than expected got bogged down in other things🤔
Sooo! Scouring the docs I could find (see attached PDF files) I was surprised not to find the usual table of Number of photos or video length vs memory available!
Anyway two significant statements I did find-
1) "Movie length - up to 29 minutes"
When I see 'up to' I read that as with the lowest resolution, in this case 640*480 pixels. Which you can forget; tha's like a 20+ year old PC and worse than the old UHF 605 line TV pictures.🤔
2) "Movie resolution -1280x720/ 30fps (HD).
Now that's more like it😊 BUT: in the manual I then found-
"The option FHD and HD only available when a Micro SDHC class 4 or higher speed class card is inserted."
Soooo! get yourself a 32GB (not sure if a 64GB card will work!) memory card SDHC class 4 and awaaaay you go 👍
BTW the internal memory is only 64MB so you can forget that for video. Seems only to be used for storing user settings (made in the camera menu) and a few photos. I recommend using only the memory card for photos and above all videos.
Happy shooting Mr Director,
Cheers Doug 😎
BTW: '720p' just means 720 pixels (Picture cells) vertically, using Progressive scan, as opposed to Interlaced.
Thought you might like to know that 😁😁

Attached Files - Click To View Large

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 451
5th Nov 2018 23:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47767

Doug why can't I open your adobe images? I have adobe.👍👍👍

reilly4
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 40
5th Nov 2018 23:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47770

Doug, I have the same problem. All I see are Adobe PDF Icons.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Nov 2018 23:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47771

Oh dear oh dear oh dear!
How many times have I explained this 😲 (So often I copied the text into a Wordpad file 😁)
All you have to do is
Just left click on the Adobe icon so the Media Gallery opens with the larger icon.
Left click on [Download], top left corner of the media gallery window.
Windows will then ask you if you want to Save or Open the file.
left click 'Open', your pdf reader will open it. You can then save it to wherever you want.
If you are using a 'Dumbphone' - I don't know🤔 I don't!
BTW: I use Nuance Power PDF, much more versatile than Adobe and without the security weaknesses!
Cheers, Doug 😎

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Nov 2018 23:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47772

Fazakerley as they say in Liverpool👍 Thanks Doug.👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Nov 2018 23:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47773

Did it woik John?

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Nov 2018 23:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47774

No not getting the save/open commands😭 I have loads of stuff on Adobe. Can I move it to Nuance pdf ?👍

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 00:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47778

Shouldn't make any difference John!
The 'Save or Open' Window box (!) comes from the operating system of your device. The box includes an 'Open with' option drop down box which displays the PDF handling programs available on the device.
What are you using? PC or Dumbphone?
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS Nuance is NOT free like Adobe Reader, but much better 👍
BTW; if you install Nuance Power PDF and uninstall Adobe Reader all your pdf files will automatically be opened by Nuance!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 00:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47781

Did it work for you Haig?

reilly4
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 40
6th Nov 2018 02:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47792

Hi Doug,
Thanks. I can download and see a 'save as' as an option. I have not come across your previous explanations but that's my fault.

Maybe the website can have an FAQ section with these explanations.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 03:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47796

Hi Haig, if i had such Administrator rights I would gladly add such a section!
I'm just a 'Bod' like you!
Reading PDF files is definitely one of THE most asked questions!
Best I can do is post the instructions in the 'Website related' forum.
But who looks in there!?
All's well ....!
Cheers, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Nov 2018 04:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47800

For what it's worth folks (by popular request😉) I just posted the pdf reading/downloading instructions in the 'Anything Website Related' forum.
C.U. Ciao, Doug 😉
PS Also applies to other files attached to Posts, such as photos!
Sometimes you can also expand the photos to be able to store them in a higher resolution! 😉