Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > just need cable (wire)...
just need cable (wire)...
(811 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 795
28th Oct 2018 21:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47533

Hi all, I might have motors, ESCs RC gear, even LiPos and Nimh packs, but I ain't got the heavyish wire to hook it all up and although I had a gander on ebay, all I could find was made up cables, with invariably the wrong plugs on the ends, but I have bullets male and female coming out of my earoles, so just need....wire! Any idea who flogs the odd metre of the stuff that can be soldered into bullets?

Martin

steve-d
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 35
28th Oct 2018 22:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47536

https://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Thinwall_cable_cut_to_le...

All the cables are listed with their amps rating so just go down the list until you find what you need.
If you need over 100A then the battery cables would be better as they have far more strands.
https://www.polevolt.co.uk/acatalog/Extra_Flexible_PVC_Cable...

Steve

Rookysailor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 106
28th Oct 2018 23:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47537

Hi Martin, you will definitely get the thickness of wire from Ian at the component shop, depending on what you want to use it for, depends on the gauge needed, I use 12g for my lipo's, but check here, and/or give them a call, the are very helpful.
https://www.componentshop.co.uk/cable/silicon-cables.html

regards, Peter

canabus
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 126
29th Oct 2018 05:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47538

Hi
I get my cable from Banggood or Hobbyking.
Canabus

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

29th Oct 2018 15:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47547

Thanks, guys. Tried Component shop but their PayPal wouldn't let us in so we went back to ebay and found em under 4mm silicon cable. Slow boat job, but I'm not desperate. A nice blue to which I'll add red and black heat shrink I already have, but I'll keep those links, cheers,
Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 451
29th Oct 2018 21:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47558

I think Component Shop has a minimum purchase value for Pay Pal👍

Rookysailor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 106
29th Oct 2018 23:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47563

Hi Martin, Just put an order in with component-shop for one metre of each colour 12sg silicon cable, Red,Blue,Black & White, cost £6.00 + p&p no problem with paypal, I am not aware that they have a minimum payment rule, but I always get more than I need, as it saves on p&p, and it doesn't eat much!👌

Peter

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

30th Oct 2018 12:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47568

I couldn't find a way of ordering different colours, but Paypal playing up messed it all up for us anyway. I'm not a patient man so said to my wife, "sod em , get it from ebay"
It'll turn up when it wants to. I don't do much on boats in the Winter, but I must remember to cycle my batteries somehow or they'll die.
I hate working models!

Martin

scout13
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 11
30th Oct 2018 19:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47571

Have you tried a scrap yard, or anyone who is striping a car for grass track racing plenty of colours and thick or thin wire
Brian

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2415
30th Oct 2018 20:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47572

Aha! Of course!! GO FASTER STRIPING!! 😁😁😉😉
Zoom Zoom Masie😁

Martin. Don't know why you didn't just troll down to your local Halfords or any decent garage / auto parts shop, where you'd find the stuff hanging off the walls. Red, Black and any other third colour would do.
The three brushless motor leads can all be the same colour, don't make a happorth o' difference. If the motor don't run the way you want just swap any two wires and all will be hunky-dory
You aren't working with high currents (i.e. more than 10 to 15A) as far as I can see so the 'standard' car wiring , ca 1/8" diameter, would do.
Cheers, Doug 😎
BTW; if you hate working models why the heck do you bother building 'em!?

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
saga32
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
31st Oct 2018 13:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47600

Component Shop has a minimum order of £3
It appears at the bottom of their website pages Easy to miss as their pages can be quite long

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Oct 2018 20:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47621

I thought that was so but thought £4 Thanks for clearing that up[👍

KenThompson
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 51
31st Oct 2018 20:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47622

Components shop only to happy to help, just ask ,and they will deliver. Check out their catalogue on line for what you need.

May the wind always be always where you want it .
onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

31st Oct 2018 21:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47624

Thanks Ken I have their 2018 catalogue and know them well. They are not too far from where I live and used to call in the shop. That was before I got stuck in this chair.🤔👍

KenThompson
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 51
31st Oct 2018 22:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47626

You could ask them about fitting a brushless motor to your chair,,,,lol. Cheers Martin .

May the wind always be always where you want it .
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Nov 2018 00:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47628

Why mess about!?
One on each wheel and one for the power steering.
Ventilated double disc brakes all round of course 😁
Synchronised ESCs coupled to fore and aft cameras for TCAS (Traffic Collision Avoidance System).
I think we could probably dispense with the Ground Proximity Warning though. On the other hand, when I think of Neville's Barrel Roll out of his scooter ...... 😁😉
BTW; As a friend of the Professor Hawking Foundation I received notification at the weekend that some of his personal effects will be auctioned soon, including some of his iconic wheelchairs.
Proceeds go to studying the debilitating illness he suffered from.
Anyone interested I'll dig out the link.
All the best folks, Doug 😎
More power to your wheels John; 'Full Ahead Both'👍

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Nov 2018 12:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47633

Gents, I wanted the soft floppy silicon covered wires, so Halfords wouldn't do.
Doug, the odd thing is that when I worked in Germany as a clay modeller, I was often given hard modelling jobs (not clay) which usually meant making complex little mechanisms. So much so that I became known as Mechanical Martin or just "Mekanist".
Yet back home fitting all the worky bits to a model boat or even a slot car/model railway loco is the bit I hate! Don't know why, except maybe in the boats/slotcars/locos there is a certain way of doing it which I find a drudge and in the clay studios there was always an element of invention required. Indeed I am the nominated inventor on a VW patent!
But, I have run out of space for storage boxes and can only rarely get to a decent pond to run anything, so I am going over to static models only now. 1/24th scale models of mahogany hot rods (woodies), some in scenic set-pieces, maybe. But I'll finish the models I have on the go first.

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Nov 2018 12:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47635

Understood Martin👍 Didn't realise you'd specified silicon wire.
"Horses for courses"! For me it's t'other way round😉
All the wood finishing techniques are very satisfying when it works out!
But that's the 'drudge' for me.🤔
I get more in the groove figuring out how to make electrical / electronic / mechanical gubbins's do what I want 😁
Know what you mean about storage space, and I ain't got no garden shed so everything has to be squashed inside my little maisonette.
Other collections from my travels are slowly getting squeezed out!
For sailing I'm lucky to have the Ostpark lake within strolling distance but I'm too lazy to do that 😁 and the ships seem to be mysteriously getting heavier 🤔

Look forward to seeing some of your set-pieces (dioramas?)
Cheers, Doug 😎

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Nov 2018 14:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47636

Not creeping Anno Domini is it Doug 👍Re your signature St Francis knew a thing or 3 didn't he?🤔 BTW No wheels on my chair.😁

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Nov 2018 15:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47637

Probably John, exacerbated by too little exercise.
I always was an 'economy of effort' man 😉 and I get bored to death doing exercises for exercise's sake😤
Didn't last a month at the fitness centre.
Was bad for my blood pressure - all those pretty ladies in tight shorts 😲

Re St Francis; sure he knew a thing or two, but apparently there are no sources to attribute that wisdom to him.
Mine is one of the more popular variants of the Serenity Prayer, by the American Protestant theologian Karl Paul Reinhold Niebuhr in 1942.
Being an agnostic I removed the God reference (was only arrogant enough to say atheist in my youth😉) Cheers, Doug 😎
Sorry to hear the wheels fell off your chair 😱
You just can't get quality these days can you!?😁

The original Serenity Prayer-
God, give us grace to accept with serenity
the things that cannot be changed,
courage to change the things
which should be changed,
and the wisdom to distinguish
the one from the other.

Living one day at a time,
Enjoying one moment at a time,
Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,
Taking, as Jesus did,
This sinful world as it is,
Not as I would have it,
Trusting that You will make all things right,
If I surrender to Your will,
So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,
And supremely happy with You forever in the next.
Amen.
Full version of the original (ca. 1942)

Amazing where a mundane topic like wire can lead!! (No pun intended🤔)

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

1st Nov 2018 18:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47641

No, not dioramas, Doug. Dioramas use forced (false?) perspective and therefore must be viewed from one point. I made a diorama of Shelseley Walsh hillclimb to show slot car models. It was quite effective.
This is all new for me and I am gathering engine models (I hope) from various hot rod sources. It will save me time on building these. I have a Merlin coming from Holland and a few others from contacts.
First model in this series will be Hornet II, the wonderful gar Wood Speedster which had an all aluminium deck and fin added and its Packard replaced by a Rolls-Royce Meteor, which was just a Merlin sans blower. Interestingly, the Rover Meteorite was a V8 version of the meteor and fitted in pairs in the Crash Tender.

Martin

Elsrickle
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 26
1st Nov 2018 19:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47642

I get mine from Howes Models by the metre various sizes

ColinT
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 35
1st Nov 2018 21:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47644

I get mine from Component shop, if they havn't got it its not been made,anything electrical. 👍