Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (30)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Ship rudders
Ship rudders
(478 views)
Toby
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 28
25th Nov 2018 23:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48337

I have been making a rudder for a large scale model of S S Hunan and having progressed, after a few set backs, wondered how other modellers built their rudders especially those with multiple hinges.

Toby

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Toby
(Lieutenant)

25th Nov 2018 23:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48338

Rudder for Hunan 1:48

Toby
(Lieutenant)

25th Nov 2018 23:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48340

Two wooden pieces, steel rod, each hinge 3mm i/d brass tube, shaped with filler and then each hinge covered and the shape made using Strips of five glass and epoxy finishing resin. File to suit.
Pins for hinges clevis type 3mm.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 507
25th Nov 2018 23:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48343

Hi Toby,

Why don't you make a Build Blog.
Of your Build of the S S Hunan!
I'm sure others would like to see what your up to!
And see how you go about the build of your model!

Cheers, Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Toby
(Lieutenant)

27th Nov 2018 20:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48406

Next stage. Rivet effect

Toby
(Lieutenant)

27th Nov 2018 21:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48408

The rivet effect is made using 1mm flat backed domed head beads. I have them in blue, black, red and white and in other sizes.
The quickest method is:
Put a little puddle of super glue on some plastic. With the back side point of a scalpel blade spike the dome of a bead and dip it on the EDGE of the super glue. Place on object where required; repeat.

Toby
(Lieutenant)

27th Nov 2018 21:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48410

For anyone who wants flat rivet effect for steel decks etc then those highlighted in the photo are effective.

All these can be found for sale on eBay.

Toby
(Lieutenant)

27th Nov 2018 21:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48411

Better picture?

Toby
(Lieutenant)

27th Nov 2018 21:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48412

Not sure why the photos from the mobile are distorted on the website for they are very sharp and correct on the mobile.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2484
27th Nov 2018 22:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48415

Evenin' Toby,
Mobile has a ~6" screen, I'm using a 24" display!
You need to set your mobile cam to max possible resolution.
The website blows all pics up to fit the Media window.
Lo res pics then look very blocky.
Tip for all; basic problem is the size and quality of the micro lenses in phone cameras. All the pics I post here I take using a Sony Cyber Shot with a decent size lens at 15 or 20 MPix so sharp remains sharp on the site.
What are we looking at anyway??😲
Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Toby
(Lieutenant)

27th Nov 2018 22:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48417

Doug
The picture stretches when uploading. The mobile phone pics are 4mb+. No problem on other forums

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Nov 2018 22:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48419

Hi Toby,
Yep! Cos this website stretches them to fit the Media window that opens when we click on the pic icon. When I realised that I stopped using the mobile (Samsung J5) camera.
Imagine the size of the Media window on a 24" full res display 😲 and a 4Mpix pic stretched to fit!
Where on ebay do you get these bits? It's a good idea to post the link when you mention sources - otherwise we have to hunt!
Whatever; watching the build with interest, particularly the rudder as I have a similar rudder to make for my ancient fish cutter restoration / conversion. Cheers, Doug 😎
BTW: If you right click on the photo, when the pic has opened, and then on Show graphic a + sign may appear in the cursor, which means you can expand the pic. Yours look much better when I do this. 👍
BTW2; I like the 'saluting red tadpole' in the middle 😁😁

Toby
(Lieutenant)

27th Nov 2018 22:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48420

These rivets are pva glue applied with steel nail.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Nov 2018 22:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48421

Wow! Very effective👍
You must have the patience of a bevy of Saints 😉

Toby
(Lieutenant)

27th Nov 2018 22:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48422

Doug

I have found the fault. For some reason a silly update change d the camera setting to 18:5 or something ridiculous. I returned it to 16:9 and the latest photo uploaded to the web looks fine when I view it there.

The rivet heads I bought one year ago and so cannot recall the seller at present. On my 1:24 Danube tug I believe I glued on many, many, many thousands.

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 507
27th Nov 2018 22:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48423

What is it they say "Patients is a virtue"!
Great looking effect!👍👍👍

Cheers, Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Toby
(Lieutenant)

27th Nov 2018 22:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48424

Thanks Doug
And bear in mind this vessel is 6ft 6" in length and about 12" keel to bulwarks so roughly 13ft x 2ft of plate and rivet effect. Bottom gets saw and the eyesight tires. But hopefully the effect will be worth it

Toby
(Lieutenant)

27th Nov 2018 22:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48425

Couple of other plates.

When I have finished the rudder and housed it to the rudder post and sorted the rc control linkage for it I will take out too the pond for ballasting and a swim. Once I know how much and where ballasting is needed I shall insert aluminium angle in to the hull to house lead acid batteries and lead blocks.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Nov 2018 01:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48431

Mornin' Toby, I'm back😁
Pardon the delay, just finished tidying up the wiring and final running tests on Colin's Taycol Supermarine motor and converter board - to make it run off a standard brushed ESC!
The rivets look great👍 and the last pic was much better as well😊
Soooo many rivets 😲 guess you have to do them in batches, and then go pull up a tree or something, or you'd go doolally 😡
And I thought I was patient doing all the portholes and stanchions on my 4' 6" 1936 destroyer - that was ONLY hundreds! Rivets? Didn't even contemplate that!!
I think you should continue this in a proper Build Blog - there's lotsa good stuff you're doing here👍 And at the end you can make a pdf file of the whole story with just a few clicks😉 Be a nice memento👍
Look forward to the Launch Report.
During my career I attended the launches of several naval ships I had worked on,designing the COMMS systems. The funniest one was a glass fibre minehunter at the Intermarine yard in Italy near La Spezia. The ship was still in dry dock, like a huge bath. They turned on the 'taps' and slowly up came the ship!
Keep up the good work, cheers, Doug 😎
BTW; were you sitting on the saw to help keep awake? 😁😁

Toby
(Lieutenant)

28th Nov 2018 01:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48435

Doug in Bayern

Hello.

That problem of the build log is that I don't have many pictures. I only usually take a photo at the end when no one can spot to easily my cover ups and touch ups. I take the occasional one to get a better perspective overall and sometimes a free to check all remains ok inside.
Anyhow I could try to remember to take a few from now to see if it is any help to anyone else.

Yes the 'saw' .... cannot find edit button for the posts and so had to leave that and other typos that the mobile deliberately does.

Le Spezia. I was there a couple of years ago. Interesting place.

Glad you are an electronic wiz for I may need to enquire of your grey cells in the future.

Was in Lindau am Bodensee for a few days. Sehr schön! I was with other persons so shame for i could have met you in Munich for i used that airport.
Still another time soon as flights reasonable.
Toby

Toby
(Lieutenant)

28th Nov 2018 01:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48436

By the way Doug

I pruned the tree fern...... that was enough as i am already doolally.

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Nov 2018 02:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48437

Hi Toby,
I put the 'bloopers' in my blogs as well 🤔
Helps others to avoid the same mistakes. Nobody's perfect 😉
Re Post editing; after you've posted your post will appear with a [Modify] button with pink/lilac background. Click on that and you can correct any typos or make changes as you wish. When you're done click [Save changes].

La Spezia is OK but Lerici just round the corner is much nicer. Great fish restaurants on the quayside. 😜 Or Cinque Terra to the north is wonderful, Google Map it!
Had a lot of fun working with that yard, they are just over the hill from La Spezia in Sarsana. I used to drive down there from Munich, usually at night so had a lot of the mountain roads to myself and could have some fun using the whole road to straighten things out a bit 😁

Bodensee, Very nice👍 Never made it Lindau myself (but I want to), was usually at the other end on Grainau island or near the Swiss border.

Next time you're coming through MUC let me know in good time and we can go boating in the Ostpark here. Very convenient, Biergarten right next to the lake! 😁 I'll PM you my email👍

Re electronics; I don't claim to be a 'Wiz' but if I can help I will.
"Fragen kostet nichts"! as they say around here 😉

'Doolally'! What's the old saying?
"You don't HAVE to be crazy to do this --- But it helps!" 😁😁
Keep on boating, Cheers, Doug 😎

Toby
(Lieutenant)

28th Nov 2018 02:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48438

Remember I am using a mobile so nothing appears such as modify etc. There is little functionality across the website via smart phone.

Toby.

You are doing your night owl stint too.

Well I have just coated the rudder in finishing resin and so bedtime. Undercoat in the morning.....oops it is morning already.

Bis bald!

Toby

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Nov 2018 02:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48440

Hi Toby, that's exactly why I do not use a 'Dumbphone' for such things.
I also have a Samsung so called smartphone, I use it for telephoning (now there's novel) and SMS and occasional snapshots if I don't have a real camera with me.
First thing I do with a Smartphone is dump all the the bl***y pre installed Apps that I don't need and just take up memory space or constantly try to 'Call Home' and demand updates😡
As you have discovered; it's the Apps that are smart (or not😲) and NOT the phone itself. Like any computer; 'Rubbish in = Rubbish out'!
Before I left UK to work in Germany I worked for a year or so with the then Home Office Radio Regulatory Department and the then 'start up' Vodafone on Acceptance Test systems for the phones and surveying for cell sites. It was pretty clear even then, reading between the operating software lines, where things were going!
My first job here in Munich was reprogramming a test system for mobile phones so that it actually did what was needed to simulate the network and prove all functions of the mobiles.
Searching for cell sites with two great guys from the Home Office labs was a lot more fun - but the Germans paid better 😁

As you rightly noted 'Ich bin ein Nachteule'!
Aber jetzt reicht's mir auch!
Gute Nacht, Cheers, Doug 😎

Toby
(Lieutenant)

28th Nov 2018 19:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48457

Well I have uninstalled the link/ icon to the website and just typed in the address in search. It came up with me already logged in and the pink modify now shows too. Sehr komisch!

Anyhow I have uploaded the rudder which now has a coat of undercoat applied.

Quite effective.

Toby

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

28th Nov 2018 20:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48458

Looks fantastic Toby 👍👍