Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (18)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Being Sociable.
Being Sociable.
(287 views)
GaryLCoupland
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
29th Nov 2018 16:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48472

Is there any members on this website who are interested in marine gas-powered steam engines, as the power source of their model boat, as opposed to electric motors. If so could you drop me a line as I would be very interested in making your acquaintance. I have never seen anything at all to date concerning steam power, which is rather a shame as it's the nearest thing to the real thing, and you don't have to shovel coal, use gas.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Gary L Coupland
Newby7
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 19
29th Nov 2018 18:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48481

Hi Gary I to am interested in steam and have been researching the ins and outs of steam and I'm in the process of building a Clyde Puffer with a steam plant if your interested in seeing and finding out more look for Keith Appleton's steam videos.
Rick

GaryLCoupland
(Petty Officer)

30th Nov 2018 18:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48525

Hi Rick and good to hear from you, I also have a soft spot for Clyde Puffers a great little working boat, you have definitely chosen the most difficult boat to fit a stem plant into, as the boiler and chimney are right on the back end, with the prop shaft running underneath them. A 1930s Tug or Drifter would be less of a headache, and easier to remove the complete steam plant if necessary, let me know how you get on. Thanks for the info on Keith Appleton he has a lot of stuff on youtube. Regards.

Gary L Coupland
Newby7
(Chief Petty Officer)

30th Nov 2018 21:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48534

Hi Gary nice to hear from you as well yes the Clyde Puffer will be a challenge but I'm scaling up the project to close to 1/20 making the boat around 30" and I've sourced a steam plant to fit and will build a funnel to come out of the right spot I hope LOL .
Rick

GaryLCoupland
(Petty Officer)

1st Dec 2018 00:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48538

Hi Rick, I am going to try to post you a bit of video of the steam plant in my latest not completed as yet tug, the Lady Jane from Mobile Marine, I don't really rate the kit, it is more of a scratch build using their hull. I don,t know what this websites M.byte limit is so maybe I'll be unlucky, mind a really nice steam plant using a TVR engine which is very efficient and runs well at 30PSI. Regards. (Sorry it won't allow me to upload it.)

Gary L Coupland
Newby7
(Chief Petty Officer)

1st Dec 2018 17:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48557

Hi Gary Thanks for thinking of the up load it's nice to hear from people on this site I started the build of the Puffer frames are cut and mounted on my building board looking good so far now that I have it set up I'm looking at bow and stern to see how to proceed will try and up date but I'm bad I don't do pictures .
Rick