Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
January 2019: 14 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 19 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (70)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > My other hobbies
My other hobbies
(309 views)
Joe727
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 33
23rd Dec 2018 22:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49071

Hello,
I've seen others post their other interests, so I guess it's okay for me to do so here. Never know if others have question or need help with these of hobbies.

1. Narrow Gauge Scale locomotives and rolling stock: Narrow gauge railroads were used in the US west for both lumber and mining companies. The narrow trains allowed them tighter radius to get through mountainous areas. See images of some of my examples, I model HOn3 and On30 scales.

2. Vacumm Tube Ampliffiers: In WWII, my dad was in the Navy and worked in the sonar labs and also taught electronics to the enlisted. When I was about 13, he taught me Tube electronics and I scratch built my first amp, a stereo and guitar smp combo. This was back in about '64 when solid state was just starting to take over. Now I experiment, design and build guitar amps as musicians have discovered how much better they sound. I hard wire everything.

More to come as I have more hobbies in addition to building boats.
Regards, Joe

Attached Files - Click To View Large

jacko
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 19
23rd Dec 2018 23:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49072

hi i did dabble in gn15 for a time

Joe727
(Captain)

23rd Dec 2018 23:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49073

I have never tried G scale, but will get there someday. Went from HO to O scale as it is easier to build bigger scale as I get older and vision is not what it used to be.
Joe

Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 30
24th Dec 2018 16:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49086

I to model rail but mine is n-scale and I belong to a club we have all scales G scale outside N and HO inside and a member who has Z scale and where our club is there is a yard that moves the standard trains around .
Rick

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 482
25th Dec 2018 01:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49100

What happened to OO guage?👍

Joe727
(Captain)

25th Dec 2018 08:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49103

I had to look up OO gauge and see that it is the most popular in the UK....... Lionel used this gauge when they introduce their trains, I believe somewhere in the 30's, don't quote me on this I am just working from memory, which is highly questionable at times. I grew up with a Lionel back in the 50's in the US.

My original post was more specifically to Narrow Gauge Lumber railroads in the American West, I enjoy studying the history.
Regards, Joe