Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
January 2019: 13 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 20 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > Older Billings Models
Older Billings Models
(609 views)
GARTH
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 13
4th Jan 2019 18:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49358

First off Happy New Year 2019 . I was just reminiscing about the first few Billings model boats that I built but can't find any thing on them .One was a Tug Boat that my have been named Samson .The other one was a luxury yacht & I'm pretty sure It was to be Painted Yellow but I can't remember the Name of that model .P/S all these model kits where 1970 -1980 era .

Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 20
4th Jan 2019 20:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49364

Hello Garth, happy new year to you too. I built Billing Sea Adler in the late ‘70s. About ten years ago I started Mary Anne but have yet to complete it. Somewhere I think I still have a 1970s Billing catalogue, I’ll try and look it out at some stage when I get a chance. Billing I think are very good models.

GARTH
(Admiral)

4th Jan 2019 21:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49365

Thanks .I forgot to mention all the Billing models I'v built Wasa,Bluenose,Cutty Sark ,Cux 87 Krabbencutter first r/c build, Queen of The Mississippi , Viking ship real type , Spanish galleon , I'm not bragging just like to build .

Brianaro
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 20
4th Jan 2019 23:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49368

They are nice kits to build

Richard7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 29
5th Jan 2019 15:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49374

Hi Garth & Brianaro, l too have been building Billings kits, although l do find some of there instructions a bit hit and miss, but l think any kit has its challenge. My first Billing kit was the Norden fishing boat, my second kit was the Boulogne-Etaples, now l am currently building the St Canute tug, but l took a rest during the run up and over Xmas, to be honest l am struggling with the hull planking, so l will knuckle down very soon. I have also built the Aero-naut Diva which was a fine kit to make. Your chat reminded me of my early school days (late 50’s) when l used to spend my paper round money of the “Keilcraft boat kits” (May have got the kit name wrong), the boat l recall was called the Mermaid, does anyone out there remember these early kits? Anyway chaps l’ve attached photos of my current finished kits, l always like to see other completed kits!
Happy new year and good modelling for 2019
Richard

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Tica
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 14
5th Jan 2019 16:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49375

Happy new year to you to

I would believe that the Samson is DMI Samson http://www.radiostyrt.no/forum/modellb%C3%A5ter/byggeprosjek...

The yacht could be BB Neptun (I have a complete kit and a copy of the drawing on stock), Sea Star or Sea King both is with ABS hull.
It could also be DMI admiral.

But I don't recall any DMI / BB yachts that was to be painted yellow.

Regards
Carsten

www.skalamodelskibe.dk
GARTH
(Admiral)

5th Jan 2019 19:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49376

Wow that's the tug . It was a fairly simple kit so over the years I change it to look like North Rock tug Alexander towing Company Thank you very much . P/S the write up is in German I think so I can't read it but photos are great .

Tica
(Commander)

5th Jan 2019 20:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49377

👍

BTW it is not German but Norwegian

Use Google translate it's not perfect but give you an idea about it

www.skalamodelskibe.dk
GARTH
(Admiral)

5th Jan 2019 20:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49380

Thank's again used google translator . I'll post a photo of the North Rock - was DMI Samson about 30 years ago & I'll have to put it up on my Harbor page

Puddle-pirate
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 1
5th Jan 2019 21:11  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49382

I recently purchased a Billings Sea King on Ebay. Not certain if I'm going to build it or not. Frankly my workshop doesn't have room for a scroll saw. This kit doesn't contain die-cut parts so a power scroll saw is a given. If I decide to sell it I'll post details. Happy New Year.

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 82
5th Jan 2019 21:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49383

@Richard7

".... Your chat reminded me of my early school days (late 50’s) when l used to spend my paper round money of the “Keilcraft boat kits” (May have got the kit name wrong), the boat l recall was called the Mermaid, does anyone out there remember these early kits?..."

At least one person does. http://eezebilt.tk/index.html

Look for http://eezebilt.tk/Mermaid.html Or http://eezebilt.tk/Range.html Or http://eezebilt.tk/mermaidpics.html

They are actually going from strength to strength, with 10 new EeZeBilt plans issued over the last several years as a fan homage to the original 7....

Oxford-Dave
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 2
5th Jan 2019 22:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49385

The DMI Samson in the pictures above is not the same model as the Billing's Samson - I got half way through building one in the early 90s before a move meant it to had to go. I recently found a finished on one eBay and am currently refurbishing it.

Looks like this:

Tica
(Commander)

6th Jan 2019 10:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49390

That is a BB Samson II, using the same ABS hull as Sea Star and Polar and as you state from the late 80's- beginning of the 90's.

DMI and BB were competitors in the 60-80's and the wooden model names are often mixed up, between them. This at least in Denmark.

www.skalamodelskibe.dk
Oxford-Dave
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 2
7th Jan 2019 12:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49432

Thank you, I wasn't aware that the Samson I have shares a hull with the Polar - I bought one of those recently as well, but haven't had a chance to start sorting it out yet.

jelley_baby
(Captain)

Forum Posts: 15
7th Jan 2019 17:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49435

Hi I was unaware that the Samson and Polar Trawler had the same hull, I have had a Polar Trawler for several years, purchased as a project from that auction site “E” something and it sails really well, so if the Samon is the same Hull it should be a very good model. Somewhere on the site I have posted some articles about the Polar’s rebuild. Will try to find the links if I can.

Ray
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 5
8th Jan 2019 09:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49478

I have a Zwart Zee tug kit wooden, complete with all boxed brass fitings ,untouched,got it off an old workmate for a tenner years ago when he gave up modeling.its sat in the loft for years as life and other projects took priority.