Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
February 2019: 7 people
January 2019: 16 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 10 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (17)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > RC steam lever
RC steam lever
(535 views)
Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 43
29th Jan 2019 17:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50032

Hello
I have a steam plant to operate my new build but it has a shut off valve I will not be able to control the steam.
The company I purchased the plant from doesn't have an RC valve .
Ideas on shops I can search for the RC valve.
Rick

Escrich
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 5
29th Jan 2019 18:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50033

As far as i can understand you, your problem it's not so dificult to be solved, you have the valve but you can not command it to release the pressure, i suppose this is an On/Off valve, probably with a coil, in this case you only need a relay controlled over RC using one of your channels, let me know more information if you need more help

GaryLC
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 27
29th Jan 2019 19:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50034

Rick, it's myself yet again, and having been involved with steam for at least the last FORTY YEARS, I can answer most of your problems and help. Google CLEVEDON STEAM here in the U/K and this guy can help you with all the steam fittings you may require. Look for lever operated valves via servo, you could use this valve for a throttle valve, (steam control) or a gas cutoff valve. If you have any problems get in touch I am here to help. Regards , Gary.

Gary Steam Marine, the only way to go.
Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

29th Jan 2019 20:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50035

My Bad Escrich should have said that it's a globe valve and that's why I need a different valve.
Thanks Gary I will get in touch with Clevedon and it is good to have a place to get great information will keep in touch with you and one of these days I will try and get pictures LOL.
Rick

GaryLC
(Lieutenant)

29th Jan 2019 22:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50036

Hi Rick, yes Clevedon Steam is where I get a lot of fittings and stuff from, and another one is Macmodels, plus they sell the TVR1 BB steam engine which I use. If you don't manage to post a few photo's soon, I am sending you a camera for Christmas. Regards, Gary.

Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

30th Jan 2019 01:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50037

Thanks Gary I look foreword to Christmas.
Rick

GaryLC
(Lieutenant)

1st Feb 2019 10:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50085

Hi Rick, I have just posted a bit of video on here which I found very interesting, mainly due to the fine detail of the two figures in the boat, and the fact they are animated via servos. The stuff in the boat has to be seen to be believed, from a Bulldog to a shotgun and tools and stuff everywhere. Very very realistic, and steam beats electric motors every time, welcome to the club. Regards, Gary.

Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

8th Feb 2019 19:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50238

Hi Gary
Thought I would up date you just ordered the TVR steam engine and also the levers for RC operation your help in finding these items has been a great help will keep in contact on the forum.
Rick

GaryLC
(Lieutenant)

9th Feb 2019 18:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50259

Hi Rick, and there is no news like good news, I promise you will not regret buying the engine, a wonderful piece of kit and runs like a Swiss watch. Its crowning glory is the fact it runs on less than 30 PSI an easy boiler pressure to maintain. I am sure you will enjoy building the engine and sorting out the slide valve timing, and you will have a good understanding of exactly how it works. Hoping the old eyes are still sharp, for all those tiny screws. Regards, Gary. PS. The ideal boiler size is 3 1/2" dia. 6" length, will give you near enough 30 mins. run time.

GaryLC
(Lieutenant)

9th Feb 2019 18:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50260

Hi Rick, did you clock the two videos Danish steam I put on the video section?

Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

9th Feb 2019 21:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50263

Hi Gary
Yes I watched the videos great work .
I only have a small boiler but should get about 15 mins. run time and yes I'm hoping the eyes hold up the good thing is I can take my time at it.
The slide valve timing may be another issue I will have to learn.
Will keep you up to date when the engine comes in .
Rick

GaryLC
(Lieutenant)

10th Feb 2019 16:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50299

Hi Rick, would you believe it is me yet again, I just thought you might like to check out my Harbour, as I have just put three boats in there, all with steam engines. Plus I was thinking if I where you which I am not but if I was. you will need to buy an oil lubricator for your engine, and Clevedon Steam has a lubricator with a throttle lever control valve attached to it, this would make a lot of sense. Question, can you silver solder as you will need to fabricate some pipe work? Regards Gary.

Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

10th Feb 2019 17:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50303

Hi Gary
I looked at your harbour post pictures your boats look great.
Yes after I ordered the parts I thought of a lever oiler combo will order that in the future when I can figure out the piping I will need and yes I can silver solder.
Rick

Newby7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

12th Feb 2019 12:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50342

Hi Gary
I just should have ask you from here what thread size are the ports for the tvr engine are they 1/4 32 or 1/4 40 thread I want to order fittings in advance of the build.
Rick