Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
February 2019: 7 people
January 2019: 16 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 10 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (18)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Hobby Chit Chat! > glazing windows with solid water
glazing windows with solid water
(2835 views)
seafarer
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 10
3rd Aug 2012 18:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/7327

Hi, has anyone had any experience of using this material?. what Is the best way of sealing the Inner surface, does It have to be permanent or Is there a material that can be pealed away after the "water" has set that does not leave marks etc. the size of my windows are approx. 8mm sq In plastic card.

Gregg
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 212
3rd Aug 2012 23:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/7328

I have used this type of stuff on my model railway layout, but be careful as If this stuff gets wet, It goes opaque and does NOT remain fully clear. Can you not simply cut some window panels out of clear styrene sheet?
I found this out when I went to "dust" the water areas with a damp cloth, so how long It would last when subject to getting wet for longer periods Is anyones guess.

You could always try a "test piece" first of course, but remember to test It In a sample of the water your boat will be sailing In, not just ordinary tap fed water, It does make a difference.

Best wishes.

Gregg
Secretary: Chasewater Model Boat Club.
http:chasewatermbc.blogspot.com/
"The chances of anything coming from Mars are a million to one they say...."
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1527
4th Aug 2012 00:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/7330

HI Seafarer
What exactly Is "solid water"? I am familiar with water clear epoxy resin, commonly used for encapsulating flowers and other specimens. This can be used down to a min thickness of 2mm and once set Is Impervious to water and remains clear. You can read about It here http://www.tomps.com/shop/water-clear-epoxy-resin-21-p-248.h... A clean sheet of glass behind your windows while the resin sets would provide the backing.

Live long and prosper

Dave
seafarer
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 10
4th Aug 2012 09:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/7331

HI Dave, It Is a 2 part epoxy substance which creates a crystal clear solid Illusion of deep water manufactured by Deluxematerials.com.Takes a long time to set but Is very effective. I thought It would look good for windows but It appears to be more trouble than Its worth. It also dissolves Plastic magic glue so beware!

ralphwilmot
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 12
4th Apr 2013 11:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/9752

Hi
See how I used circular punch to create clear plastic ports - Refer to Photo Gallery & Anything Else for full details.

Ralph Wilmot
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

5th Apr 2013 15:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/9763

HI Ralph
Yes have tried this method. OK for statics and portholes above the water line. No good for anything near the waterline - they leak! My Olympic has a whole row just above the waterline, using clear resin was the best option.
Thanks for the Input 😀

Live long and prosper

Dave
ralphwilmot
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 12
5th Apr 2013 15:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/9764

HI Dave
Yes I got round that by using clear resin on the Inside after lightly fixing the glazing, that way I had a flush and flat looking plastic port on the outside of the hull and waterproofed on the Inside. Using just resin tended to be concave. A lot depends how easy It Is to get to the Inside of the port I guess.

Ralph Wilmot
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

6th Apr 2013 11:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/9773

HI Ralph
I was using 3mm white LEDS In the lower Portholes on the Olympic. Ended up having to seal all the lower portholes with resin dropped over each Led In situ. At 100 scale the effect looked ok but for larger scales you would need to provide a solid waxed seal on the outer (flanged) side and pour the resin In from the back of the porthole - I'm assuming a flanged tubed porthole. I guess your clear plastic discs performed this function In your case.
Cheers 😀

Live long and prosper

Dave