Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
August 2017: 7 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 23 people
March 2017: 9 people
February 2017: 12 people
January 2017: 17 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (22)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Non-Hobby Chat > Police Launch
Police Launch
(231 views)
cormorant
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 162
4th Aug 2017 08:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31656

I know it's not a model but this boat was used for a short time by Worcester City Police in the mid 60s. It was soon found to be unfit for purpose as the freeboard was too high when used for its main task of pulling bodies out of the water.
It was replaced by a Dory. This was much more suitable as I found, when recovering a body from the river Severn at Holt Fleet near Worcester. I also found that the low freeboard allowed easy access to a male swan when we got too close to its nest. Luckily my mate had the boat hook to hand to repel boarders . I took cover under the tarpaulin with the body whilst he removed the swan. What fun we had in those days!

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1228
4th Aug 2017 09:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31660

Hi Steve
Are you going to build a model, complete with attacking Swan?
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 598
4th Aug 2017 11:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31666

Now THAT I would love to see 👍😁 think we can leave out the body though 😲

"Retirement is when you stop living at work -
and start working at living/boat modeling!" 舰队的海军上将 😉 Doug
cormorant
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 162
4th Aug 2017 18:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31675

It was not unknown for swans to 'get lost' and land on the road on Worcester river bridge. We were told that if this happened we were to grasp the neck just behind the head and put the free arm around the body to stop the wings flapping.
As I had a mortal fear of all things flapping - hence taking refuge under the sheet with the body - I prayed I would never come across such an incident.

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1228
5th Aug 2017 10:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31708

Hi Steve
The owner of our lake, Alan, is regularly called upon by the local police to collect swans that have strayed onto the local roads. They usually end up sat in the middle of a road junction causing all kinds of mayhem. Unless they are protecting their young they are quite docile and remain calm once you have captured and secured the wings. We have a resident nesting couple and feed them in the winter when the lake is iced over, so they know us and cause no trouble.
We used to have a big problem with Canada Geese but not any more. If they appear the cob is after them very quickly and will attack any that don't flee quickly enough. It is quite a sight to see his low level attack with wings beating the surface.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
onetenor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 121
13th Aug 2017 21:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/32035

What was the original boat .An MGB?