Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 9 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 4 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (19)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Non-Hobby Chat > weed problem on lake
weed problem on lake
(797 views)
david41
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
16th Aug 2018 19:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45116

apart from making model sailing yachts i do fly fishing and the weed problem on a few lakes that was mentioned can be reduced
by putting a few hay bales in the lake and tied together and weighted to keep in place.the enzyme in the hay kills the weed it does not hurt or kill the wildlife this method has been in place a long time. Bewle water in kent. Lakedown trout fishery and more have used this method to help control the weed
david41 😊

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 423
16th Aug 2018 21:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45120

Sorry, but it should be Barley Straw, I've been using it for the last 50 years for my fish breeding pools. Cheers Colin.

Fair winds and calm waters,
COLIN.
ads90
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 38
17th Aug 2018 21:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45147

Many years ago the council used barley straw bales on our model boat pond, no major improvement but a year or two later the bales started to break up and we had continual problems of straw being wrapped around our propellers. We prefer to put up with the green algae and let nature take its course.

Alan

david41
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
22nd Aug 2018 20:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45346

sorry Colin my mistake as you said Barley straw it has worked at lakedown trout fishery and Bewl water that i still fish as for having it in a lake with model boats and the barley breaking down did not think of that so sorry Alan .

David

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

22nd Aug 2018 20:43  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45347

Hi David, the Barley Straw is usually in fine mesh nets so it's easy to replace every month. Therefore wouldn't be a problem. Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
kinmel
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 9
23rd Aug 2018 14:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45368

Colwyn Bay MBC has had great success using Dyofix to control weeds.

It is actually a food dye and there are no restrictions on it's use in the UK

www.dyofix.co.uk

smiggy
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 23
24th Aug 2018 08:58  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45388

This is our problem. A good wind in the right direction can clear a patch but as soon as it drops the water is covered. It is quite dense and it takes a powerful boat to get through. The other problem is you can't see and debris floating under the weed.
Is been getting worse over the past few years and at the moment e are mostly a social club.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

24th Aug 2018 19:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45395

Hi Smiggy, where is the lake located, it looks like Abbey Park in Leicester.

COLIN.
smiggy
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Aug 2018 14:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45439

That's because it is Colin👍

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Aug 2018 16:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45443

Well Smiggy, I last used that lake in 1966, then it was used as a general boating lake, including Inc rowing boats for hire as well as model boats. It was also used as a carp breeding pool, with lots of ducks as well. The carp and ducks used to keep it weed free. I also used the river in the park below the waterfall where the steps go down to the water, it was good for launching my models. Do you use this site for your boats. I am interested in knowing what it's like nowadays, was thinking of visiting my sister in Melton soon and thought I could bring a couple boats. Cheers Colin.

COLIN.
smiggy
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Aug 2018 23:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45462

The lake isn't used as a breeding pool any more. There is a boat hire business but its just pedalos now. I'm sure you'd be made most welcome but the weed really is a problem at the moment. Where are you based now?

Colin H.
(Fleet Admiral!)

27th Aug 2018 09:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45471

Hi Smiggy, I'm on the Wales/England border near Hereford. Here is my practice water.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

COLIN.
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 795
27th Aug 2018 10:36  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45472

Practice water??? Practice makes perfect and that looks pretty darned perfect to me! And such a lovely part of the country.

Martin

onetenor
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 451
29th Aug 2018 22:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45561

I think oat straw does the trick too and yes net bags .👍