Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2018: 4 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 11 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (21)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Non-Hobby Chat > My other hobby
My other hobby
(784 views)
Hellmut1956
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 4
25th Nov 2018 14:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48321

I used to have a current single-engine flight license. The video shows the flying with my good friend John from Emilia Reed airport south from San Jose, CA to North Las Vegas north of Las Vegas, NV. On this flight leg we had clear skies. On the second leg we fly back to san Jase, CA. It was a rainy day and the clouds and sequences of the view do still fascinate me.

https://youtu.be/0xcrbUhOkYs

The video allows me to repeat that flight, seeing and listening to the radio communication

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Best rgds
Hellmut
mturpin013
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 69
25th Nov 2018 18:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48327

Model boats ????

ChrisF
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 43
25th Nov 2018 22:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48329

Eh? This section is called Non-Hobby Chat!

Hellmut1956
(Sub-Lieutenant)

25th Nov 2018 22:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48330

That is correct ChrisF.

Best rgds
Hellmut
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 505
25th Nov 2018 22:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48331

Hi Hellmut1956,

Now that we've got this straight!
How long have you been a pilot?
And which hobby do you like best?

Cheers, Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2483
25th Nov 2018 22:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48334

Evenin' Ed,
having flown myself, many years ago 🤔, I can only say;
If you'd ever been 'up there' with the stick in your own hands you wouldn't need to ask the question 😉
Somewhere I must still have some Video 8 films of flying low along the Alps, south of Munich, in an aged Cessna shortly after I arrived here 33 years ago. An experience you don't forget too quick 😊
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Nov 2018 22:51  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48335

Morning Doug,

Sounds like a lot of fun!👍
The closes I'll ever get to flying by stick.
Is a model Plane.....😜

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Nov 2018 23:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48339

It was Ed 👍
we took off from an ex Luftwaffe field just north of Munich, flew SSW down to the Alps then East along the Alps, roughly following the Austrian border, to Salzburg and then north back to Munich. Great views 😊
My daughter was just 5 years old and absolutely loved it, the (then) wife refused to go!! Probably just as well, nobody needs a 'back seat pilot' 😁

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Nov 2018 23:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48341

I've gotten a chance to fly a few times.
And loved every time!
But it's been on big jumbo jets!

Never had the opportunity to fly on a small aircraft!
Now that sounds like great fun...….

"Fair winds calm Seas"
Rookysailor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 112
25th Nov 2018 23:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48342

Greetings Hellmut1956. Missed my PPL by two hours in 1978. Was asked by the service engineer name Bob at Blackpool Aerodrome if I fancied having a lesson two or three times a week, as he wanted to teach but needed to collect the hours required. I had a band at Pontins holiday camp, and Bob used to come in the bar nearly every night, and asked If I liked the idea of learning to fly👍
The question was 'How much', no charge just sign my teaching sheet, so 30hrs in a Cessna 150, very nice , but the season ended Oct 30th 1978, and I needed two more hours, but without an aircraft! why bother.....
Wished I could have had a video recorder to keep the memories.

Peter😊

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Nov 2018 23:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48344

Go for it if you get a chance Ed 👍
I spent 40 years or so flying round the world on business.
After a while Jumbos and co just become 'busses with wings' 🤔
Although I did have a few pleasant experiences as well like
- being invited to the cockpit of a brand new Lufthansa 747-400 during a flight from Sao Paulo to Santiago de Chile. Sitting right behind the Captain I had a great view of the crossing of the Andes, as well as of the then novel digital flight displays. I those days we could still swap smokes while drinking coffee and watching the plane fly itself 😲
After take off no one touched the column until the wheels were almost on the ground at Santiago! The First Officer had a clip board on his right knee and now and again said something like 'About here we turn left', and sure enough the plane banked gently left to line up with the Santiago approach. No 1 made a tick on his clip board 😊
- The now defunct Lan Chile airline used to upgrade me to 1st class on flights from Madrid to Santiago de Chile.
Not so pleasant was having to run across the pan to bag a seat on an overbooked plane at Entebbe Airport in Uganda!
I made it, was younger and fitter back then 😁
Or arriving at the airport in Rio de Janeiro 4 days before Christmas to be told 'I'm sorry but you're not in the system'!😡
Oh well - Christmas on the Copacabana 😁😉
Nowadays I can't stand all the crap at the airports caused by the terrorists, so I'm not particularly sad that my globetrotting days are over. 😉

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

25th Nov 2018 23:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48345

Shucks Peter, having got that far ........!? 😭
I've never owned my own plane - the owner of the aged Cessna was an ex RN Captain and fellow modeller who I met at the lake here at the Ostpark while I was sailing my WW2 RN destroyer.
I learned at Blackwater field not far from Sandhurst where I lived.
My instructor was ex RAF fighter pilot.
When he heard I was about to move to Germany he gave me a free hour after the normal lesson and 'showed me what the trainer (a Grumman P something) could really do - 'See that hole in the clouds up there?'
Yes ---- Whoosh, and we were through it and hanging on the prop!
Hang on to yer breakfast chaps!! Exhilarating 😊

Rookysailor
(Commander)

25th Nov 2018 23:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48346

Yeah! Doug, I think about it now and wished I had continued. In
1979 my wife (at that time my fiance) and I, went to Doncaster light aviation club to see a Piper Cherokee that was for sale.(very cheap), when I saw it, I realised why the price was so low....all the interior had been fitted out in.............PINK FUR!!!! it was Cr**. Then a friend of mine asked if I wanted a 1/4 share in a Grumman Traveller stored at Barton in Manchester, it sounded good, but only getting the aircraft on days the other's didn't want was not good with me, so I bought an E type, with kept me amused for a while😊

Cheers Peter

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 00:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48347

I'm sure you had a lotta fun in the 'bum scraper'.😁
Lovely engine but a bind to keep 'on song' 😉

Rookysailor
(Commander)

26th Nov 2018 00:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48348

Rubbish steering,Rubbish braking, no comfort...but boy could it pull the girls, of course, no good when the wife is in the passenger seat😆

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 00:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48349

The epitome of the 'Crumpet hunter' 😁😉

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 00:10  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48350

He he! Schau mal was du los getreten hast Helmut 😁👍
Ich freue mich auf deinen nächsten Beitrag!

Rookysailor
(Commander)

26th Nov 2018 00:13  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48351

So einfach, wegzukommen Doug.😲

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 00:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48352

I'm so glad I can Translate...….😁😁😁

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 00:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48353

Na Ja Peter, von nix kommt nix! 🤔 As they say around here.
You get so embroiled in just working and surviving the fun things like that seem to drift away before you've realised it.
At least we have some happy memories!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 00:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48354

You're full of surprises Ed 👍
Voll Überraschungen!😉

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 00:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48355

Doug,

Ja ich habe viele Überraschungen!
Hope I got that right.....😜

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 00:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48356

Nicht schlecht 'Sagte der Specht'!👍
How did you come to learn German?
I have a wonderful book, written by Mark Twain during his first tour of Germany, which brilliantly describes why it is not only impossible but also highly undesirable and unnecessary to learn German😉
I'll dig it out and send you some of my favourite quotes, which exactly mirror my experiences! Schön Grüß, Doug

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 01:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48357

Doug,

Ich weiß wirklich nicht, wie man Deutsch spricht. Ich benutze einen Übersetzer.
Ich spreche auf deutsch!

Cheers, Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 01:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48358

Just recalled one of my weirder experiences on a commercial flight!
Was also on the memorable trip to Uganda end of the 80ies, just after Idi Amin had left the stage!
Was on a hop from Nairobi to Kampala (Entebbe).
Aircraft was a venerable Boeing 727of Kenya Airways.
Had a funny feeling climbing aboard as I saw the oil streaks over the wings and underside of the fuselage. The smell inside and state of the floor was more like a public toilet than a commercial aircraft.😡
After taking my window seat I was joined by a large 'native' Momma, who took up the remaining two seats in the row, and then I realised why the floor was as it was.😲
She plumped herself down with a big grin all round and carefully settled a large wooden crate with slats on her expansive lap!
The crate was full of LIVE CHICKENS!!!!!!!!!!!!
At first my ghast was absolutely flabbered😲 I expected that next someone would start building a fire to roast one, but it turned out to be quite funny and even useful!
When the 'In flight meal' arrived it looked to me like old British Rail sandwiches (banana shaped) that they had sold on around 1960! I spent the rest of the flight feeding them to the chickens to the delight of 'Momma' and others around us, not to mention the chickens 😁
If you fly around long enough, and to off beat places, all sorts of odd things can happen! 😉 Priceless memories 😊 Cheers all, Doug 😎

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 01:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48359

Your translator is pretty good Ed, much better than the gibberish I have seen from the Google translator 👍 Gar nicht so schlecht, alles gute, Doug 😎

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 01:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48360

Morning Doug,

OK, ich muss der Besitzer sein. Ich benutze den Google Übersetzer. Jetzt sofort!
Ich denke es ist, wie du in die Sache sprichst ....

OK, back to english.....

Cheers, Ed

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 01:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48361

OK, what did you say about gibberish.
Think I'll stick to english....

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 01:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48362

Think you're right Ed, that last one came out a bit weird😲

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 01:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48363

I know, I translated one thing.
Then went to translate back to English.
But, what I said wasn't what it said!

Never mind I'll stick to English!....

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 02:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48364

Why do I have a feeling.
We hyjacked this thread!😱😲

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 02:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48365

Don't worry Ed 👍
It's all non hobby and related to flying, which was how Helmut started it, and I think it's raised a few laughs here and there so what's wrong with that? 👍😉

figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 02:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48366

Good as long as no one gets bent out of shape!
It's all laughs, especially my German!😁😊

"Fair winds calm Seas"
figtree7nts
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 02:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48367

Good night Doug,
Good night all!

"Fair winds calm Seas"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

26th Nov 2018 02:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48368

G'night Ed

G'night John Boy! 😁

Hellmut1956
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Nov 2018 09:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48370

I am surprised and not surprised at the same time. Surprised to see how many have jumped onto the wagon. Flying is something special, that is why I am also not surprised.
For those of you from Munich, Germany. I did the instruction at the Jesenwang airport, WNW of Munich. As I was very often in the USA from very early during my instruction I did fly Cessnas 172. For some time at the Jesenwang airport, a Piper Arrow could be chartered. This "real plane", has its wing below the cabin, the Cessnas have them above, was a great plane to fly. I chartered a Cessna Cutlass in San Jose, CA, for 3 weeks shortly after getting my so-called PPA pilot license. My longest non-stop flight was from the San Jose airport to Sky Harbor, Phoenix Arizona. I remember the landing in Sky Harbor. It was night and it was my first solo night landing. In those days landing did take place at the main runway. So tower had to find a slot between all those jets on approach. But I can tell you, sitting as the pilot in command by night and landing at a great international airport is an experience you remember for the rest of your life.

Best rgds
Hellmut
Rookysailor
(Commander)

26th Nov 2018 14:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48387

Hi Hellmut, You are a very lucky chap to have experienced all the flying you have done, and in such beautiful places. With a UK ppl,
(private pilots license), you cannot fly at night until you have passed a 'night rating', which I never got to🤔

cheers, Peter😎

Hellmut1956
(Sub-Lieutenant)

26th Nov 2018 19:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48389

Hi. Mi private pilots license also does not include night flying. But interesting is to consider when they define what is included. When having a certain number of instructed night flights you are entitled to fly in the vicinity of an airport. Vicinity of an airport German definition is that you have to be able to see the traffic in the pattern of an airport.
When I did my flight from San Jose, CA to Phoenix SkyHarbour, I was able to see the traffic being about 1.5 hours from the airport. The night definition is that the night begins 30 minutes after sunset. So was entitled to do this night approaches as you can see the traffic in the pattern, on a large airport like Sky Harbour, and in the Southwest of the USA from very far.
But when doing these landing operations at a large international airport, shortly before touch-down you are flying into a black hole. Due to this on my first landing in Sky Harbour, I made an awful 3-point-landing making the plane jump 2 or 3 times. Fortunately, I was aware of how to react properly when this happens.
The second special experience is when you are taxiing on the runway to get to its exit and report "runway vacated" in a small plane like a Cessna Cutlass the lights lose their structure. So I went to search for the yellow line on the left side of the runway until it curved into the exit. But this yellow line and the blue runway lights are hugely distant from each other so I had to focus my efforts to stay to the right of the blue lights but still being able to see the yellow line. Once I crossed the lines that mark that you are leaving the runway I could report back to the tower "runway vacated".
My second-night landing was when I did try to fly to an airport next to the "Grand Canyon". As the report of the airport said expect gain or lose 40 knots of speed on final I decided not to land and flew back To Phoenix.
What a wonderful experience. The landscape was already impressive on my flight to the Grand Canyon, but it was topped when I flew by night. First I was in contact with one center in charge while being above a certain altitude. Then this center passes you to one in charge below that altitude. Makes you feel like a professional pilot. Finally, this center did pass me to the tower of Sky Harbor. I was approaching from the north. Then, what controllers of large airports like they make you cross the airport midfield what ensures you stay away from the other traffic of the airport. You cannot imagine what a sight it is when you approach a large city like Phoenix by night. After he gave me its clear to land I was remembering my awful night landing earlier. When I did have the feeling that I was about to touch-down I did control the airplane so that all you felt on touch-down was the vibration of the wheels turning. A Geman friend of mine that was on the plane with me was so impressed that he said he would fly again with me at any time.

One other fact I want to share is the importance to really dominate the phraseology of radio communication and what Americans call to know the system. On my first approach by night to Phoenix, I did confuse the last VOR with the ILS beacon.
So when switching to what I thought to be the last VOR the needle got full to the right and stayed there. So I did a report I was not able to tune in the VOR and so tower did give me instructions for the further approach. When you fly in from the west you fly over a mountain full of antennas and the red lights on top of it. I felt very good being routed by the tower. Those of you familiar with night-flight and how to find the location of the airport know the rule of the black spot within the lights of the city is where the airport is. Well, Sky Harbor has the terminal building between its 2 runways and so Sky Harbor does not look like a black spot. So when the tower asked me if I had field in sight I did respond negative a couple of times until he reported that I was on the 45 for the runway. Then I finally saw the airport. Here is something that is the consequence of good radio training. My instructor always said to report negative until you are really enabled to say affirm. So Tower knows when you are really able to report affirm. Do not be shy, it is your and others life!
The second time on that approach was when tower gave me the instruction: 3-60 to the right until further advice! My teacher played the role of the tower and one of the things he said to teach us the right behavior was to stay silent and fly as instructed until tower contacts you again. I do confess I had never done 3-60s neither by night nor during the day! So I put the plane into a standard curve, kept it there, watched my altitude and speed. Being so familiar with this instruction from the tower I felt "at home" and this being relaxed was very useful!

Best rgds
Hellmut
jacko
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 7
26th Nov 2018 22:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48391

my bike Fumper

Attached Files - Click To View Large

boaty
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 63
27th Nov 2018 11:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48394

Good to see other PPLs and former PPLs on the Model Boats website. I took mine at Liverpool Airport known now as JLA (John Lennon Airport) in June 1984 and completed it in January 85. Trained with Liverpool Flying School aka Keenair in Cherokee 140s and a PA 38 Tomahawk. Later I moved into Air Nova which was also a Liverpool club and the actor Lewis Collins was also a member of that Club. At the time I was a member of Merseyside IVC (Inter Varsity Club) thus had plenty of passengers. One of them was Victoria Field, my former psychology lecturer who later became famous as a psychologist and writer.
Eventually Air Nova moved to Hawarden Airport near Chester but the Club folded shortly after. I then joined the in house Club based at the field and I ceased flying in November 2016.

Best flights were going over Snowdon VFR and down the Dee Valley. I also flew over Colwyn Bay to have a look at the boating lake though I haven't sailed there. I also saw the lakes at Llandudno West Shore and LLanfairfechan. The latter I am considering for sailing my fast electrics. Downside to PPL flying was the crosswind component of the aircraft being 17 knots , At Hawarden there is only one runway the 04/22 and Liverpool the 09/27. I did have to cancel many times due to this. Thankfully sailing model boats is much more enjoyable as we don't have that many snags to deal with and if the motor stops we don't have to do an emergency landing.😎😁😁

Boaty

Dave Keech
P-741
(Apprentice)

Forum Posts: 1
27th Nov 2018 11:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48395

Hello Hellmut, I can only imagine the thrill of flying a plane! In my business career I travelled many many times by air and every single take-off and landing was something to look forward to. These days I'm happy enough building modelboats, a somewhat sedate but satisfying hobby :)
BR, Remko