Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
February 2019: 8 people
January 2019: 16 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 9 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (13)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Plans! > SS HUNAN drawings
SS HUNAN drawings
(330 views)
Toby
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 66
27th Aug 2018 03:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45468

I am wanting photos and drawings of SS Hunan, a cargo ship built in 1932. Can anyone one oblige?

Toby

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2554
27th Aug 2018 12:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/45478

Try here Toby-
https://www.google.com/search?q=SS+Hunan&client=firefox-b&tb...
Happy Hunting 😎
http://www.modelbouwtekeningen.nl/nvm-1010086-vrachtschip-ss...

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Toby
(Lieutenant)

28th Jan 2019 01:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50000

Very good so far.
The hull has been tested and the prop and rudder tested and now am creating ballast by making lead blocks to suit.

The Glasgow archives had plans and photos and the staff was very obliging. Also I have found that the Swires ship business archive is held in London and they have a plan showing the changes which were made in 1953 or 1958. I cannot determine yet which because the image in the email reply was not of high definition. The staff there to date have been helpful.
Then I will have to decide on whether to proceed with the later fitting out ore finish the superstructure in its original as fitted.
Built in 1932 and scrapped in 1962 clearly it remained in its original fitting twice longer than the time from re- fitting to being scrapped.

Likely this would account for the lack of photos in its second fitting.

Don't have all the details but it largely appears to be an addition of poop deck superstructure and to such on the rear main deck. Needless there will be details lost or added in the area where these rooms were added. So will have to compare and decide and finish the build.
If I can see a copy of the drawing for the revised fitting I will likely make a list and images for the benefit of others in treated in building this vessel.

Toby

Toby
(Lieutenant)

30th Jan 2019 23:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/50055

Just received a very helpful file transfer from the SOAS Archive in London showing a plan with the changes made to the SS Hunan. Just go to the local copy shop to print the 800mb file.

So the plan issued in the 1990s was that for this later version. Interesting considering that the ship was built 1932 and then re- fitted in 1958 and then scrapped 4 years later in 1962. So, unusual that a plan for the short lived version was considered for a model rather than that of its appearance for 26 years.
Toby