Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
January 2019: 13 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 20 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (35)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Plans! > Sea Queen Frames
Sea Queen Frames
(1425 views)
donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 15
11th Dec 2018 11:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48779

Hi
I was lucky enough to be given a set of Sea Queen plans by a member on this forum but of course the plans dont show the frames and they need to be drawn up from the lines on the side and plan views .
Its not that I cant do it but it seems silly re inventing the wheel if someone has already done it .
So if any one has drawings of the frames for the Aerokits Sea Queen 46" I would be very grateful for a copy

Cheers
Don

canabus
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 132
12th Dec 2018 06:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48782

Hi Don
I think all of the Aerokits plans did not show the frames.
I drawn up the Sea Hornet ones.
Canabus

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

12th Dec 2018 10:26  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48784

Hi Canabus , I think you are right when you say Aerokits didnt show the frames on their plans . I suppose there was no need as the frames would already be in the kit.
I just thought that as others have probably built from a copy of the plan that they may have already drawn up the frames and its pointless drawing them up again if they are already available , but if not I will have to get around to drawing them up

Don

TOWN3810
(Chief Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 13
13th Dec 2018 09:23  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48811

Hi Ebay a chap offers nearly all of the Aerokits plans and templates for all the kit parts search under model boat . reasonable price too Cheers Ian T

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

13th Dec 2018 12:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48817

Deleted ( mistake)

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

13th Dec 2018 12:40  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48818

Hi Town3810
I read your post again , but carefully this time and saw I need to search under model boats not aerokit plans .
I found his site but he appears to have everything but a sea queen which is the one I'm after

but thanks for the heads up

Don

steve-d
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 61
13th Dec 2018 13:06  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48819

I would still ask him even if it is not on his site.

Steve

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

13th Dec 2018 13:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48820

Hi Steve
yes I sent him a msg on Ebays ask seller a question

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

13th Dec 2018 13:39  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48821

I also bought a copy of the sea commander plans while I was there

Rookysailor
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 116
13th Dec 2018 23:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48827

Hello Don, Cannot understand as to why you could not fined the plans for the Sea Queen on Ebay, here is the direct link.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEA-QUEEN-VINTAGE-MODEL-BOAT-PLAN...
Hope you get them OK👍

Cheers Peter😊

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

14th Dec 2018 11:09  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48831

Rookysailor wrote.....

Hello Don, Cannot understand as to why you could not fined the plans for the Sea Queen on Ebay, here is the direct link.....
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SEA-QUEEN-VINTAGE-MODEL-BOAT-PLAN...
Hope you get them OK👍

No I cant understand why I couldnt find them either . This seems to be happening more and more . Lets call it an age thing 😊

Anyway thanks for the link . Plans ordered now 👍

ChrisF
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 53
17th Dec 2018 11:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48884

Let us know what the quality is like. I bought some plans for a Fairey and the quality of the drawings for the templates was appalling.

Fortunately I was able to redraw them using the kit drawings for the plan and side view.

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

17th Dec 2018 13:08  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48887

Hi Chris

Yes I will let you know what they are like , but if they are as bad
as you say I will ask for a refund, I cant see why you would accept paying for them and then redraw them yourself . His listing clearly states the frames and other parts are drawn to a high standard and if they are not then they are not as described and Ebay will get you a refund

Don

ChrisF
(Lieutenant)

17th Dec 2018 22:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48899

Hi Don - unfortunately I didn't look at them in detail for some time and it was too late to do anything about it. It was useful having the kit drawings though which are drawn well. Whilst redrawing I did modify the construction etc. so not a complete waste of time.

Yes, the "drawn to a high standard" made me laugh, maybe if they had been done by a chimp! Lines were wavy and the frames weren't symmetrical and would be a nightmare to build from and someone even had the cheek to put the copyright symbol on them!

Maybe the ones you bought will be better, but I doubt it.

Chris

modelboatdevil
(Petty Officer)

Forum Posts: 6
19th Dec 2018 01:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48927

I've had same feeling on my Fairey Swordsman plan I got from this guy, since not going to re-draw the frames myself, I rather prefer to look for a kit, but still in vain.

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

19th Dec 2018 14:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48937

Well , I'm sorry to say our fears were correct because the
first of the two plans (Sea Commander) arrived this morning and
as others have found the high quality drawings are absolute
SH*T 😡

I think all curved lines were hand sketched by someone with very shaky hands 😲

I shall try and attach some pics.

The first shows his attempt at the front windows
A scan of his efforts is at the top , the correct drawing is below it

The second picture is his attempt at the rear deck . One edge is a hand drawn wiggly line that should be straight . The drawing is too high, and the two sides should taper in towards the back . His drawing has one tapering in towards the back but the other side tapers outwards

The third picture is a scan of one of the frames which is folded in two so as to check that both sides of it are mirror images . They are not even close

So I will wait for my second plan to arrive (Sea Queen) which I expect to be no better and then put in my claim for not as described

Drawn to a high standard ? what a joke

Attached Files - Click To View Large

jacko
(Commander)

Forum Posts: 19
19th Dec 2018 17:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48939

don't think i will be buying any plans from him if that's the standard ?? i did read "Printed to a high standard" (not drawn )

ChrisF
(Lieutenant)

19th Dec 2018 20:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48945

Don - Unfortunately I didn't see your post until after you had ordered, so too late to warn you and I may have been wrong as regards those particular plans. Unfortunately I wasn't.

Jacko - I see what you mean but drawn and printed are all one sentence so I read it as both were to a high standard and that is what you would reasonably expect. Even if the draughtsmanship wasn't the best (and I can draw to a very high standard on the drawing board and PC) they should at least be accurate, which they are anything but. The guy's just a chancer.

Modelboatdevil - the plans I got were for the Swordsman. There are some original Philip Connelly plans for the Swordsman on Ebay at the moment, though they are somewhat yellowed and creased! I've never seen an example of the Aerokits Swordsman or Veron Huntsman 28 kits. What size are you looking to build to?

Chris

ChrisF
(Lieutenant)

19th Dec 2018 21:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48949

Sorry a bit off the original topic but here's a picture of my Swordsman build underway, ready for skinning.

I made quite a few modifications to the drawings because I wanted the aft cockpit version at a scale of 1:12 and added a spine and "fingers" to help with construction.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

19th Dec 2018 21:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48950

As it said drawn and printed to a high standard I read that as they are both drawn to a high standard and printed to a high standard and I think Ebay will see it that way too

ChrisF
(Lieutenant)

19th Dec 2018 22:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48952

Absolutely. Why would you think anything less? If he was being honest he would say "very badly and inaccurately drawn and printed to a high standard!

TOWN3810
(Chief Petty Officer)

21st Dec 2018 15:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48995

Hi my plans for sea queen and sea commander purchased from the same guy 5 years ago were perfect in every way Ps i also use Biro for pretend deck planking Cheers Ian t

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

21st Dec 2018 18:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/48998

Well I sent him an ebay msg expressing how displeased I was
with the quality of his High Standard drawings and he said send them back for a full refund , so thats fair enough I suppose. Its just a shame that a lot more people will also fall for the same
thing . I did ask him if Stevie Wonder had drawn them

He did try the trick of saying it says printed to a high standard but I pointed out it said Hand Drawn & printed ( to a high standard ). I did suggest he changed his listing to say hand drawn to the best of my ability which is pretty poor but printed to a high standard.
It also says on the listing just transfer the drawings to the wood and cut them out. Well considering the frames are not mirror images side to side thats going to make a very twisted boat

ChrisF
(Lieutenant)

21st Dec 2018 21:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49000

Yes, I first started redrawing the frames by choosing the "best" side and then doing a mirror image but they are so poor even that didn't work as the angle and position of the stringers wasn't consistent from frame to frame.

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

22nd Dec 2018 10:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49009

I found the best way is to take height and widths from the side and plan viewsof the main plan and draw new frames from there. I will know if I got it right when I build it. I know one thing for certain, they will be a better fit than the drawings he sent me , at least they are symetric about the center line

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 83
22nd Dec 2018 11:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49014

"Well I sent him an ebay msg expressing how displeased I was
with the quality of his High Standard drawings and he said send them back for a full refund , so thats fair enough I suppose. Its just a shame that a lot more people will also fall for the same
thing ."

I do not publish plans of the Aerokits boats on my website, because they are still under copyright and being sold commercially, so I wonder if these plans are being sold legally under license or not? The fact that the bulkheads are badly drawn suggests the latter....

Providing a complete refund minimises the risk of you leaving bad feedback - which is the only thing these sellers are scared of.

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

22nd Dec 2018 13:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49015

You are correct of course in saying it stops me leaving bad feedback , but it doesn't stop me informing Ebay that its not only copyrighted material it is also not as described 😉

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

22nd Dec 2018 13:21  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49016

The seller doesn't care about that. And Ebay doesn't care about that. I have had this battle.

Ebay deals in volume sales with some simple rules. So long as the seller is willing to refund unhappy customers they can continue trading. Ebay are not competent to determine what counts as 'not well drawn' for a set of model plans, and won't get into that argument.

Ebay will go through a standard procedure if copyright breach is alleged. From their site:

"EeBay has created the VeRO program to protect intellectual property owners from trademark, patent or copyright infringement. Property right owners register with the VeRO program by sending eBay legal documentation and proof that they own the specified intellectual property.

Having registered with eBay’s VeRO program, these property right owners monitor listings on eBay, or they use third-party web monitoring agents that help warn them of infringement threats. When their rights are violated, the owner or a representative can file a complaint by filling out the NOCI (Notice of Claimed Infringement) form, complete with proof of the violation, and sending it to eBay by email or fax.

eBay then investigates the issue and notifies the seller via email that a VeRO participant requested that their listing be removed. The listing will remain suspended unless and until a settlement is reached between the seller and the property rights owner."

Unless the Aerokits copyright holder takes VeRO action there is nothing you can do to stop copyright breach. This makes me quite unhappy, because I would like to put the full set of Aerokits plans up on my Old Boat Plans website, but I will only do it with copyright holder approval.

If you want to do anything about it you would be best advised to contact Lesro and encourage them to do something about it - http://lesromodels.co.uk/contact/

ChrisF
(Lieutenant)

22nd Dec 2018 14:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49017

Don - that's basically what I did but went a stage further by tracing the top and side views on the PC and then producing the frames from them which is very accurate.

DodgyGeezer - I'm in no way condoning what that guy on Ebay is doing but the problem with the copyright owner is that they are not making drawings available for all of the boats that they produced hence why the likes of that guy on Ebay are able to keep on selling albeit illegally.

DodgyGeezer
(Lieutenant)

22nd Dec 2018 15:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49020

" I'm in no way condoning what that guy on Ebay is doing but the problem with the copyright owner is that they are not making drawings available for all of the boats that they produced hence why the likes of that guy on Ebay are able to keep on selling albeit illegally."

I'm not suggesting that you are condoning what they are doing - I'm just saying that complaining to Ebay won't help at all - giving the seller bad feedback will help a little.

There is a problem with old boat plans and copyright. The US and the EU together - under corporate lobbying - brought in a rule that copyright exists for a very long time, which was totally against the aim of the original copyright legislation.

This creates the problem of 'copyright orphans'. Old model boat plans suffer a lot from this - they were often created by a small company which eventually closed down without passing copyright ownership on. Under EU legislation the copyright still exists, but is probably owned by relatives of the original holder - who won't know anything about it.

Worse - ownership will be spread around the relatives - at a worst case there may be 50 or more of them. The EU says that you should make best efforts to trace them and obtain permission. Good luck with that! And if you were to trace them all, almost certainly one would consider that a nice little earner had fallen into their lap, engage a lawyer and ask for a stiff fee....

I run a web site aimed at gathering these old plans, addressing copyright issues and publishing them for free, so as to save them from oblivion. In most cases the copyright resides with another big hobby company who will have bought up the rights to many small ones, and in most cases they are happy to give me permission to publish their old plans. Occasionally a company employs an archivist who will provide plans for a fee - and occasionally the old kits are still available. In that case I don't publish. I have only had one company say that they would not provide prints of old plans, but that I could not publish either. That was MidWest.

I seem to do better with the USA hobbyists than I do in the UK. I have quite a large collection of Sterling plans, for instance, but very few from the old UK companies like Feltra. If anyone has any old plans that they would be happy getting onto the web, go to http://oldboats.tk and have a look around....

ChrisF
(Lieutenant)

22nd Dec 2018 16:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49022

Yes, copyright is a real hornet's nest.

I remember reading an article in Building magazine many years ago on the subject of copyright where one large housebuilder tried to take another to court because it had copied one of its designs. But because the defendant had slightly altered the design it got away with it.

So for example if I put my Swordsman drawings on Ebay, which were based on the kit drawings, I shouldn't have any problem as I have made a number of alterations. I won't be of course as I've only drawn enough for me to build my model, they are not full working drawings and I'm not interested in doing that.

Where that guy on Ebay is at fault is that he is blatantly copying the original kit drawings with Aerokits on them rather than redrawing them - not that he has the wherewithal!

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2531
22nd Dec 2018 16:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49023

Hi Chris,
If 'HE' "is blatantly copying the original kit drawings with Aerokits on them rather than redrawing them" why are they such 'freehand' rubbish?
Surely the 'original kit drawings' were not!
Interesting (and probably never ending🤔) debate.
Cheers all and Garry Chrimbo, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
TOWN3810
(Chief Petty Officer)

22nd Dec 2018 19:00  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49025

I wish I had never said anything or about Biro pretend deck planking Cheers Ian T

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

22nd Dec 2018 19:27  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49027

RNinMunich wrote
Hi Chris,
If 'HE' "is blatantly copying the original kit drawings with Aerokits on them rather than redrawing them" why are they such 'freehand' rubbish?
Surely the 'original kit drawings' were not!

No, you misunderstand , the original drawings are great, but aerokits never included frames with their plans as the frames were pre cut in the kit

"HE" blatantly copies the Aerokit plan then hand draws the frames which are Crap. The side and plan view are excellent copies , but his selling point is he is the only person who includes the frames with his plans which he says are drawn to a high standard. In fact he says just put the frame drawings on the wood and cut out . That would be fine if you want a twisted boat . You cant make a straight boat when the two sides of a frame are not mirror images of each other

Don

donrecardo
(Petty Officer)

22nd Dec 2018 19:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49028

Town3810 wrote
I wish I had never said anything or about Biro pretend deck planking Cheers Ian T

I'm lucky in as much as I have a laser cutter so by turning the power down I can burn the lines into the deck then turn it up to cut the deck outline

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2531
22nd Dec 2018 19:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49029

Whatever floats your boat Don 😉
Merry Christmas, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
ChrisF
(Lieutenant)

22nd Dec 2018 20:28  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49031

"I wish I had never said anything or about Biro pretend deck planking Cheers Ian T"

You weren't to know he was selling such crap! Are you sure it's the same guy you got yours from? I can't believe he was supplying first class drawings years ago and is now supplying rubbish. Why bother drawing (well trying to) around the frames etc. when you already have good drawings?