Yes you right, I built one many moons ago It was my first model boat, cost me something like 30 to 35 shillings (£1.50 to £1.75), from the now long gone Ashton Model Shop back In the late '50s, not radio control, could only afford to run on a 4.5 volt cycle, but my pride and joy all the same. Looks like It had a slight conversion, or hatch Is missing behind pilots seats.
Yes, those models look to be reasonably original. Interestingly, there was only one hatch - the one at the stern. When I complete my long-mothballed Sea Hornet, I'll probably make up a second hatch to cover the engine compartment. How's your progress? Tim.
Yes you'd be right to put a hatch behind first row of seats, that's where motor access hatch was originally, not second row seats as In your model. It original only had two set of bench seats, each behind their own window screens.
Cannot remember what happened to my "Hornet", maybe It went the same way as my CorgI and Dingy toy car, kindly given away by my Mother In my teens, whilst I was In the RAF, thought I finished with them, women they don't understand us fellows :-)
I've just launched my latest model a RAF Fire Launch pictures on this site, still some way to go, fire monitors etc, turned out to be very responsive and quick, once fitted 50amp controller and tweaked blades. Peter47
The wheel chair motor was no good at all. very low revs and negligable thrust. Fitted a replacement Johnson motor from a 14v battery drill, ......success!......reasonable pace semI planing for about 15 mins when the motor gave up In a cloud of smoke.
I have been given a motor stamped Johnson 970 with a label 'Marlin MK2'. The motor has 1/4 shaft and runs at considerable revs on 12V and has been used In a model cabin cruiser on 14V.
My prop Is a 3 bladed brass 50mm. I think this prop was too much for the original motor and caused the burnout. Would the bigger Johnson handle the 50mm prop or should I fit a smaller prop?
A 50mm prop Is a sizeable Item, for a setup requiring "speed". I would either suggest you use a gearbox and drop It to a 3:1 setup, thus offloading the motor, but tripling the torque out. Why not simply fit a medium size brushless motor, which will give you the revs you need and drop to a smaller prop. this then allows you to use a smaller/lighter battery pack [Lipo].
I dare say that If you check the spec on the "johnson" motors, you wont be getting much more than 16 - 18,000 tops at Its top rating. dont forget, this Is In "unloaded" test.
Coupling It to a 50mm prop, you would be lucky to see any more than about 400 rpm, BUT a current draw In excess of the motor rating, thats why It did not last long.
Well fellas, Sucess the boat performed pretty well, similar performance to the motor which burnt out, but without any drama. Checked the temperature of the motor occasionally, and It seemed warm but not excessive. The battery Is a 7amp lead acid (Motorbike type) and gave well over an hour running time. Unusual feature of the boat, Is that being big (46") the wash Is considerable.
Not Strictly Aerokits!!! Bought this and a Sea Breeze at the Warwick Show. Sea Breeze Is In the cupboard for Xmas. Sea Nymph Is Ivory and Brunswick Green. It has a JP 400 motor with an Mtroniks 15 amp esc powered by a 7.2v nicad. Currently It has a 35mm S prop. Haven't had a chance to try It out on the water yet. Maybe this weekend. Its the first wooden boat I've ever built so am quite pleased with the outcome. Looking forward to the Sea Breeze as that's going to be my first brushless model.
Attached Photos - Click To View Large
Aerokits Fast Patrol Boat - Posted: 5 years ago by jelley_baby
HI Two Pictures Before and After, As Purchased on Ebay and Now ready to sail. First sail 16-12-2012 Cwmbran. First fitted a too powerful Outrunner with a small rudder no good would not steer or go straight. so changed outrunner to a lower rated one about 1200 kVA and fitted a larger rudder (medium size as opposed to a small one). The result was very good and she ran all morning on a 2 x 4.8 Volt 3800 MAh Nimh In series 9.6V total, for about 2 hours.
Hi, I'm currently in the process of building my first model. It's one of my fathers that has been sat in the loft, kit form for 30 odd years. I have the decals to turn it into a fire boat but I'm struggling to find a suitable monitor to place on the coach house roof. Can you remember where yours came from?
Hi, it's not a proper monitor on the cabin roof, but the spray nozzle from an air freshener the type that are battery powered and spray one burst every 15 minutes. I suppose that you could attach a small pipe to it and make it into a working monitor if you wanted too. Hope that this helps Graham.👍
Assuming Its about 36" long a nice speed 600 should give a good turn of speed. Prop about 35-45mm. You will need to have room for the batteries, probably NiMh's, plus the radio and ESC (25 amps?). If you are Into brushless and LiPo's you will really motor, but there Is a cost to set this up Initially. You will also need to carefully check the propshaft and bearing for wear - IC engines are not kind to the running gear. Good luck with the restoration 😀
1959 kit built, restored two years ago,removed the ganette 15cc 4 stroke and replaced It with a bruhless motor which Is a EMP 5065 410kv with a 100amp ESC and 4cell 5000 lipo turning a x70 two bladed prop, runs times up to 20 minutes, and a very good but over scale speed, will take a video of her next time a I take her out.
I'm really looking forward to your video. I have decided to start my Sea Queen kit this autumn and am Interested In your setup. Your boat looks very good and I have been hankering after one of these since I was fourteen- so only about forty seven years! It could be time.