All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.
Many thanks for your kind support.
Model Boats Website Team
December 2017: 5 people November 2017: 13 people October 2017: 9 people September 2017: 15 people August 2017: 10 people July 2017: 16 people June 2017: 8 people May 2017: 8 people April 2017: 16 people
This is what she looked like in August I have ordered a new suit of cotton sails but I am also making a pair myself which are nearly finished and then it's time for a sail.I think the original suit in the picture are really too delicate to use The braine gear has been set aside and she now has radio control with seperate winches for the job and main The deck has been removed and she is glass lined as some of the planks were a little fragile She is obviously now a bit heavier than she was but a bit more user friendly I will post some pictures of her on the water
Had a word with my local coffee shop about the used stirrers, they must think i am barmy!!!! but over a couple of days the sorted me with thousands of the damn things, on another site a tip for staining the planks was cold tea, soaked for a few hours the planks take on the tannin colour and just need drying ready for use. Mark
A big shout out to the generous staff in my local NAAFI/Costa shop who where able to supply me with what seemed like a lifetimes supply of coffee stirrers! Let planking commence! I did see on another build forum that possibly the Vosper had planks running the lenght of the deck, however ive decided to go 16cm lengths of Costa stirers instead of cutting full length planks from another wood source. This model is nowhere near acurate in scale, therfore I am happy to do staggered planks.
I usually use coffee stirring sticks. But at this scale far to wide. I cut 3/32" strips off a 7/8" plank. Stuck them back together with a mixture of P.V.A. & acrylic black paint. Clamping over the whole length. Next day cut down the opposite way to about 1/16 & sand to a finish. Mark in the joints & nails with a pen. The planks could be any width required, & the black joints aren't to big.
Came home today to what looked like a disaster but after a few well chosen words it wasn't as bad as first thought for some reason known only to the glue one side of the hull timbers had come off the ribs, the same glue was used on all the planks working from the keel up, alternating sides ,anyway a liberal application of gorilla glue at the effected area and some ratchet straps seem to have done the trick will leave the straps on for 24 hours and hope for the best.👍
Cut off most of the excess foam with a knife. Then into the garden standing up wind, removed the rest with a blacksmith's rasp. Took about 5 minuets. Started on the deck will be making my own ply, consisting of 1/16" balsa with hard wood veneer on the bottom & deck planks on top.
[Score: 9/10] 60"/7600g Schooner - Comments: Scratch built with mahogany planks on the club's mould. Glass cloth and fibreglass inside and protected with G4 polyurethane resin all over. Uses a sail winch (Hitec) and travelling dolly for the two main sails and a separate arm servo for the foresails. Standard servo for the rudder. Power is from a 6.6v 1000mA LiFe battery. Taranis Tx using two sticks with the sail servos connected via an internal mixer to one stick. Ballast is fixed to the keel with two studs which extend into the hull where a steel bar is attached between both and acts as a carrying handle.
Thanks Dave, yes the old lady is now stable and solid enough to work on. Have a few new bits to make, two cabin roof's and may even re-deck her as the balsa deck has lots of damage and filler would not look good so get family to grab a few handfuls of coffee stirers as they make great deck planks. I am going to put dads 27mhz radio system back in. Then decide which motor is best suited. By the way I still DON'T HAVE A PC. The shop said it has gone past repair so I'll have to save up for a replacement. Unless I find one on free cycle.
Hi AllenA The planks are veneer and a bit of soft bending in the hand works well. A few more stringers to glue to would have made it easier, mainly in the stern section, but, we live and learn !!! Canabus