Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
January 2019: 13 people
December 2018: 6 people
November 2018: 11 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 20 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (19)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Boat Specific Chit Chat! > de Mist Naval Tug
de Mist Naval Tug
(613 views)
Joburg-sailor
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 11
29th Dec 2018 10:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49201

Another one of those "What is it?" posts!
"de Mist" was a Naval Tug in Simonstown naval dockyard. Decommissioned about 2 years ago and awaiting "disposal" when she sank at her mooring 2 months ago. Salvaged by the SA Navy a week or two ago. Does anybody have any information on if she was locally built (South Africa) or an import. In the absence of any specific info would there be a plan available for a similar looking boat somewhere?
Appreciate any advice.

Attached Files - Click To View Large

Glyn
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
30th Dec 2018 13:53  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49214

Hi Joburg-sailor! De Mist was built by Dorbyl, Durban, in 1978. Powered by two 8-cylinder Mirrlees Blackstone diesel engines with twin Voith-Schneider propulsion units. No idea if plans are available of this specific tug, but I do have some of similar vessels that were built by the same company for SAR&H in 1980 that are still in service (but probably nearing their service lives by now). Regards, Glyn

Joburg-sailor
(Sub-Lieutenant)

31st Dec 2018 15:05  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49232

Hi Glynn
Thanks for your response. I was hoping that the dreaded words "Voith Schneider" would not come up as I have no way to engineer or buy a VSP (even looked in "Graupner" site but no info on buying units and I think it will break the pensioners bank anyway!
This is my first contemplated tug build so would be interested if the model tug Guys would perhaps advise what they do when the dreaded 2 words come up...do they cheat a little below the surface and substitute other propulsion sources when a VSP would be "true scale"?
Glynn, what Dorbyl built SA tugs do you have knowledge off that are not VSP equipped? I think the other older Simonstown Naval tug is the "de Nuys" but I presume she will also be Voith Schneider Propeller driven.
Regards and Happy New Year to you and all on MB's.

Joburg-sailor
(Sub-Lieutenant)

7th Jan 2019 10:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49428

As I have made no progress on finding any drawings of the De Mist naval harbour tug ex Simonstown, and as kindly advised by Glyn as having been built by Dorbyl in Durban with VS propulsion, I am now switching my attention to the old steam tugs of the the late 50's and 60's...particularly the JR More (built 1961) that is currently decaying in the Durban Maritime Museum. Again I am on the hunt for drawings that must be more easily available judging by the number of models build of this vessel. She had twin props (rather than Voith Schneider or Schottel) which is something that I can handle!
Any help or advice gratefully accepted.

Glyn
(Seaman)

Forum Posts: 2
7th Jan 2019 10:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49429

Hi again! Have you tried contacting the Durban Model Boat Club? On their Facebook page they appear to have at least one model of an old SAR&H steam tug (not sure which one). They'd probably be able to assist with sourcing plans. Regards, Glyn

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2531
7th Jan 2019 11:33  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49430

Hi Tertius,
Looks like the closest you're gonna get is one of her sister ships; the FC Sturrock.
https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Model-Marine-P...
There was a build article of using these plans to build the JR More in Model Boats in 2012.
https://www.modelboats.co.uk/albums/member_photo.asp?a=16223...
Another possible source
https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/f-c-sturrock-plan-mm148...

The guy who built it (Ralph Wilmot) also described it on this site back then.
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2531
7th Jan 2019 11:42  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49431

Here's the link to Ralph's posts on this site about the JR More.
https://model-boats.com/tags/durban-museum

No posts from him since Oct 2017, hope he's OK 😲
Doug 😎
Photos of original here
https://www.google.com/search?q=J.R.+More&client=firefox-b&t...

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Joburg-sailor
(Sub-Lieutenant)

9th Jan 2019 07:29  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49506

Thanks for info Doug. Unfortunately several of the websites get error messages or have dropped access to the address.
I think the Sturrock plans route seems to be the way to go (a pricey plan though for our horrendous currency exchange rate!) and was the source of the Ralph Wilmot model. Looking at some of the pics of the rudder layout when she was on the hard pending being put into the Maritime Museum, she had twin props and twin rudders...Sturrock didn't have twin rudders so obviously was built to the Sturrock plan. I have sent off a few emails and await any further guidance/info before I make any decisions.
Thanks Glyn re Durban Club. I have mailed a member too.

Joburg-sailor
(Sub-Lieutenant)

16th Jan 2019 17:18  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/49669

Hurray!! Located and received some plan scans for the "JR More" tug from an ex South African now living in the UK! Delighted! Apart from a few misaligned scans that loose some pretty important info for the stern, I have a lot to work from.
The "JR" was built by Ferguson Brothers, Glasgow in 1961. 176.3ft LOA, displacement 1654.94 tonnes. She was the last oil fired steam tug in service in any South African port. Decommissioned in 1982. Now a poorly maintained (no money!) exhibit in the Durban Maritime Museum.

Attached Files - Click To View Large