Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
December 2017: 2 people
November 2017: 13 people
October 2017: 9 people
September 2017: 15 people
August 2017: 10 people
July 2017: 16 people
June 2017: 8 people
May 2017: 8 people
April 2017: 19 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (10)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > Electrical Related > Tank Steering
Tank Steering
(923 views)
canabus
(Admiral)

Forum Posts: 70
11th Aug 2017 13:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31949

Hi All
The Turnigy/Flysky IA6 both mode 1 and 2 have the non centering IC throttle on the left or right.
If you require both gimbals to be spring centering the kits are available from Banggood.
The link to the mayhem site will give an idea for the install with pics and all the part numbers.
: http://www.modelboatmayhem.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=58658...
Enjoy Canabus

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1122
11th Aug 2017 14:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31953

Don't quite know what started this but here goes
The Turnigy HT-6 has the non-centering throttle stick on the left. If you want it on the right there are clear instructions, with photos, in the 68 page (!) manual to show you how. 👍 Guess you can get a spare part if you want two non-centering. Will have a look tonight to see if it's 'modable'.
I spent the evening on Wednesday programming one, disguised as a Conrad REELY HT-6 at twice the price 😡😆 of a Turnigy on Hobby King!
I now have it doing what I want in mode 2 and not what it thinks an aircraft should be doing 😉 Can recommend the set 6Ch with RX for ca $ 46 at Hobby King. €80 at Conrad 😭😭😭 Thinking of putting a Product Review together. Nothing else to do!! 😉
Cheers Doug 😎

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Midlife306
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 144
11th Aug 2017 15:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31954

Tank steering?

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Aug 2017 15:32  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31956

Hi Wayne, Yep!
Uses two sticks instead of just one!
For independent control of two motors; port / starboard. Or more e.g. four screw carrier model; Two each side! Expensive on ESCs and the wiring can get complicated but very manoeuvrable.
Just like a tank driver has independent control of his tracks.
I think I will experiment more with mixer boards to support the rudder on my twin, triple and four screw monsters 😉
Cheers Doug 😎
PS where have you incarcerated poor Donald?? 🤔 😭

"The brain is not intended to store facts. It is for thinking, and for knowing where to find the facts !" Albert Einstein. 😉 cheers Doug
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 1427
11th Aug 2017 16:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31963

Hi Doug
Enjoying your new toy.
Not sure that Mode 2 or 1 for that matter has much relevance if you are using two sticks to control your ESCs.
The gimbal posted by Canabus looks like the Taranis stick with an additional rotary control at the tip. Most gimbals use a spring to effect self centering and removing said spring disables this feature.
One of the reasons I use the Taranis is to allow me to mix at the tx avoiding lots of complicated wiring and expensive mixer boards on the vessel.
I did find the Conrad Reely HT-6 but not on the Hobbyking site. Can you post a pic please?
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Midlife306
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Aug 2017 17:37  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31964

Donald has gone on holiday to St Tropez with some young floozy he picked up in the local tobacconists 👀

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

11th Aug 2017 21:35  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31969

Hi Dave, you won't find a Conrad anything anywhere else but on the Conrad (or Amazon/Ebay) sites! But if you look for the Turnigy HT-6 you will find it on HobbyKing, it's the same damn thing for nearly half the Conrad price. See pics. Pure badge 'engineering'!
Also just bought some Absima LiPos 2s 4000mAh from Conrad, €40 each. Today I found out that Absima is in Nürnberg (Nuremberg) just up the road from here, same batt €25 😡😭
Conrad will shortly be getting an appropriate mail from me!
NO more Reely stuff for me!!
I found the HT-6 very easy to set up, amazing what they pack into a $45 set these days. My Spektrum cost 12 times that a few years ago and doesn't do an awful lot more and is more complex to set up 🤔
Won't mess with mixer boards or two stick motor control just yet. Can use the mixer functions in the TX 😊
Have tested the HT-6 with various ESCs; e.g. Graupner Navy VR30 and Mtroniks Viper Micro10, no problems. When the new 2s LiPos are charged the next test will be with a Turnigy brushless ESCs and the BL I want to put in the Sea Scout. Progress is slow but sure. Why do I get on faster with electronics than with shipbuilding!!?? 😉

You're right; Mode 1 or 2 (3 and 4 are also available!) don't matter much. With this set you can assign any control element stick, switch, or pot to any channel (i.e. RX output) you want, and very simply - not like the Spektrum🤔. Like it.👍 I also like having the two pots available for proportional control; gun turrets, cranes, monitors .... 👍 And still switches left over for lights, sound .... Very versatile 👍👍
Only irritation is it won't go into operational mode until all switches are forward and the throttle (left stick) is pulled right back - motor off for an aircraft - safety feature. Minor irritation for a boater but pull the stick back and all is OK and you can then operate normally.
Used the spring removal method on my old Graupner 40Meg MC-10. That box was a pain to set up as well🤔 I could programme the radio ATE for the old Home Office Type Approval lab faster, but then - I wrote the software 😉
Cheers Doug 😎

Midlife306
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 02:31  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31979

Have you tested the range on it yet Doug?
Cheers
Wayne

canabus
(Admiral)

12th Aug 2017 02:34  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31980

Hi All
This is make both gimbals spring centring in all directions !!!
MODE Boat

Canabus

canabus
(Admiral)

12th Aug 2017 02:38  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31981

The Turnigy ESCs(both Hobbyking car and marine), after you program them up just plug in and work, no messing around!!!

Canabus

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 09:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31982

Hi Doug
Though it might be the TGY-i6 but you were suggesting the Turnigy HT6.
Looks like a good set. I will have access to one later this year as the Club is buying one for the main prizes in the Christmas Raffle!
I do believe most modern servos work with all kit with perhaps a few exceptions, not like the early days when different pulse centres were quite common, not to mention the reversal of the Positive and negative leads. Then again the plugs were often type specific, not like todays standard types!
Cheers
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 09:57  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31983

Hi Canabus
Thanks for the updates.
Not quite sure what you mean by "This is make both gimbals spring centring in all directions !!!"
Isn't this the standard set up for most 4+ channel Txs?
Cheers
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 10:02  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31984

Hi Canabus
Just re-read your initial post and see that the "the Turnigy/Flysky IA6 both mode 1 and 2 have the non centering IC throttle on the left or right"
Please ignore my last post and accept my apologies, I should have realised multicopters have introduced a whole host of new types of controllers.
Cheers
dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 10:07  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31985

Hi Dave, Yep it's the HT6, see my photos above.Good choice for a raffle prize👍
During my test I found two servos which were very jumpy and twitchy, and one 'what did nowt' 🤔 most worked perfectly 😊 Will do some more tests tomorrow with other TX/RX sets to find out if it's the system or the servo itself.

Wayne: Sorry, no range check yet, it's been around 14° and peeing down for days. Likely to last until Tuesday - then we get sun and 34° !!
Must be the b....y North Koreans 😉
More soon, cheers Doug 😎
PS Re older servos; How right you are, several years ago I was given a selection of old servos, including linears. Long defunct US make I think. Most had the red lead on the outside. I modified some but many refused to work with either my Futaba, Sanwa or Graupner. So I gutted them and used the motors and gears for other things; e.g. radar drive for HMS Hotspur! PPS the linears had a peculiar 6 pin round plug like mini DIN plug!

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 12:04  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31988

Hi Doug
Twitchy servos suggest a bad connection, either bad crimp or dirty contacts. This can also apply to the small feedback servo wiper inside the case. Can be fiddlesome to clean but if you can't source a replacement you may have no option. If I have a duf servo I usually strip and keep all the bits for spares.
Your non worker could be from one of the early offerings that required negative as against positive pulses. If its that old it is likely to be very slow. The motor and gears should be ideal for a radar scanner. Sounds like a Bonner offering, possibly used a split power supply.
There is no mention of short range in the specs and as its possibly aimed at aero and drone markets I doubt if it has restricted range. Like you my scale boats are very precious and I like to keep them close to shore so range is never really a problem, just make sure the aerial(s) are above the waterline, especially if sailing a yacht!.
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 12:41  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31990

Hi Dave, It didn't twitch back and forth, it jumped (!) like it had a stepper motor !? I tried it on the Robbe servo tester and it seemed OK. T'other was still dead 🤔 Both servos are fairly recent.
The jumpy one a mini Hitec HS-81, the dead one a Conrad (🤔) 8gm micro.
If the dead one stays dead the insides will end up in my 'Useful bits' rack!
I have a reasonable servo stock so it's not really worth spending much time repairing it. BUT I do like to know how things work and above all why they don't!
Bonner: Did you mean the one with the 6 pin plug ?
Can't ask the chap who gave me them, also Dave (!) an ex RN Captain I met at the Ostpark lake, I think he died about 10 years ago - RIP. We used to go flying over the Alps at weekends in his ancient Cessna, great fun BUT LOUD. My little daughter loved it 😊 The then wife you couldn't get within a 100yds of it!
I don't expect any range problems either, 100yds to the other side of the lake to wake up the sunbathers (Whoop whoop!) is enough for me😉
Cheers Doug 😎
PS: think maybe I'll start a separate thread to continue this saga; testing and product review etc. Just like old times - designing and presenting Comms systems 😉

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 57
12th Aug 2017 12:54  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31991

Hi All
The Turnigy/Flysky iA6 are amazingly good value systems but did you know that they can be upgraded to full 10 channel operation!

You will need to buy a new 10 channel RX for about £15:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/turnigy-ia10b-receiver-10ch-2-4g...

And a cable to go from your computer USB port to the connector on the back of the TX for less than £3:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/hobby-king-2-4ghz-6ch-tx-usb-cab...

And then the firmware update from this site:
https://github.com/benb0jangles/FlySky-i6-Mod-

There are also some YouTube videos to guide you through the upgrade process.

This is one of a number of them on YouTube.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iMQMh_kgRY&t=187s

I have bought the bits but not got round to doing the upgrade yet but apparently it is a very popular mod that allows you to assign a separate auxiliary channel to each of the switches and knobs.

Robbob.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 13:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31992

Hi Robbob, Good tip! 👍
Is that the Trainer connector you mean? Will this then also work with the HT6? Since it has 2 sticks =4, two pots =2, four switches =4, Sum 10! Would be useful to have the extra switches for lights and sounds etc.
Doug 😎
Update: just looked at the cable, connector looks like the Trainer plug😊
Will investigate further and report in separate thread.

robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 14:03  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31995

Hi Doug.
Yes that's correct, the trainer socket on the back of the TX is used for the firmware update.
I found the info for the TX mod on another site and happened to need a few bits and bobs from Hobbyking so I added them to my order, so for £18 I can unlock the 10 channels that the system will support 👍😁
As I said I've not done the mod yet but when I start the new build I'll probably do the update and then use the old 6 channel RX in the new boat and store a new model preset in the TX just for 6 channels.
Robbob.

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 14:24  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31996

Sounds good to me👍 I'll do the same with my 6Ch RX.
BTW: I've continued this in another thread, we got bit off Canabus' original track! (As usual!) Doug 😎

Dave M
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 16:47  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31998

Hi Doug
Micro and mini servos are great until they break then they are a bin job. That Hitek has a broken drive to the internal pot. I have looked inside and could hardly see the components let alone repair. Had two go on my RG65 yacht. Early bad design of the rudder shaft which rusts and causes the servo to overheat, mine actually melted and the motor was welded. Now replaced with a standard size servo, plenty of room and not really a weight problem as I use a LiOn 6v battery and switch mode supply. 6V burns out the micro servos, as happened with my first servo in the RG65.
If it has a 6pin plug it probably is an early Bonner servo. Doubt it will work with modern kit. Might be a collectors item so you could try flebay
Good to hear you can upgrade the Flysky/Turnigy sets to 10 channel. Does it support s-bus as this will allow even more channels?
Dave

Live long and prosper

Dave
robbob
(Fleet Admiral!)

12th Aug 2017 16:56  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/31999

Hi Dave.
The iA10B RX does support S-BUS👍.