Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info
Login Below
Join Us On Social Media!

Get The Model Boats App!
Apple App Store
Android app on Google Play

Help Support This Website
£
or enter custom amount

(Non Contributor)

Help support this free
website and donate.

£285 a year is needed to keep the website and apps online. Please consider donating £5 or more to help towards these fees.
All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support.

Model Boats Website Team

Donation History
November 2018: 8 people
October 2018: 9 people
September 2018: 13 people
August 2018: 5 people
July 2018: 8 people
June 2018: 8 people
May 2018: 7 people
April 2018: 24 people
March 2018: 13 people
February 2018: 5 people

Unique Visitors This Month

Website Members

Terms and Conditions
Privacy Policy
Advertising
Contact

Model Boats Website
Active Users (20)
Login or Register
To Remove This Ad

Login or Register
To Remove This Ad
>> Home > Forum > General Resources > PS Waverley
PS Waverley
(952 views)
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 792
18th Oct 2018 16:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47213

Hi all, my chum has bought a very large hull of the above ship, but it has no details whatever and absolutely nothing above gunnel level. Can anyone recommend trustworthy plans for the vessel, Please?

Cheers,
Martin

Attached Files - Click To View Large

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 2403
18th Oct 2018 20:44  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47214

Hi martin,
Didn't Marky build a Waverley paddler a little while ago?
Maybe he has plans.
Here's some info and pics anyway.
https://www.wikiwand.com/en/PS_Waverley
Cheers, Doug 😎

Young at heart - slightly older in other places 😉 Cheers Doug
Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
and the Wisdom to know the difference!
RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

18th Oct 2018 20:49  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47215

Nope, sorry, it was davidhgreatbatch.
Have a look in his Harbour.
Cheers, Doug 😎
PS Lots of info and good photos here
https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/photos/of/ships/shipid:1826...
Selection attached.

Grant me the Serenity to accept things I can't change, - the Courage to change things that I can,
Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Oct 2018 00:01  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47220

Interesting selection, Doug, thanks.

I'll try to find the harbour you mentioned.
I'd have loved it myself, but I just can't fit a 5 footer in my shed! And I have too many other things to do. Just finished the Vincent pattern though. After a year!

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Oct 2018 07:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47225

Hi Martin,
Just follow this link, and you'll see the Boat Harbour with PS Waverley on the left.
https://model-boats.com/user/davidhgreatbatch
Know what you mean, I've got 3 five footers and several 3plus footers already, gettin' a bit cramped!!
Looking forward to seeing the Vincent👍 If something's worth having .....!
Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Oct 2018 09:12  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47228

Thanks for the link, Doug. Nice job and lots of people on it.
I think my mate is going to do the finish as it is now with grained wood effect superstructure and shit brown vents. He'll probably want me to do a bras pattern for the stanchions and get them cast by my chap round the corner. I wonder how many half mil. drills he'll break!

Cheers,
Martin

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 273
19th Oct 2018 09:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47229

Hi Martin,
Doug was right I built, am still building a paddle tug Aid , I have some drawings of the Strongbow if you are interested it may take a day or two to rake them out.

Cheers Marky

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Oct 2018 09:25  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47230

Yes, that's what I liked; well populated and 'Alive'. Makes all the difference, especially for an excursion ship. 😉
If he uses a Dremel or similar he'll probably break lots 😡
I use a small pin chuck for my 0.3 - 1.0mm drills, gives more control and 'feel'.
@ Marky; thought I remembered you paddlin' about somewhere😉 just got the ship wrong 🤔 How's it goin' matey?

Now back to prepping terrace and garden for winter 😡
me poor ol' back!
Cheers All, Doug 😎

marky
(Fleet Admiral!)

Forum Posts: 273
19th Oct 2018 10:22  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47238

Hi Doug ,
Radio therapy for the next 40 days at least i get the weekends off ,not much time for anything else ,up get ready -go to hospital -treatment - home again its pretty tiring but needs must 👍 at least the eyebrows have grown back 😁

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Oct 2018 11:20  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47239

Hi Marky,
Radio Therapy huh!
Eight hours a day of old Terry Wogan shows eh!?😡
Guess that'd drive out anything! 😁
Hang in there shipmate 👍
All the best, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Oct 2018 11:46  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47240

Thanks for the offer, Marky, but it's specifically the Waverley we need drawings for, or rather the superstructure. Sarik have a set, but hardly exhaustive. I suppose general dimensions and all the hundreds of photos will have to do, unless any of you guys know differently. I was going to ask on Paddleducks but they are talking closing down for lack of use and age of the membership, so no point asking there.

Doug, can you imagine the repetitive stress problems of twiddling a pin chuck that many times? I have a lovely old fine feed pillar drill, but it's in bits being cleaned and repainted.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

19th Oct 2018 11:55  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47241

Don't have to imagine it Martin, I know it, from all the stanchions on my H class destroyer 😉 Couldn't get the ship under a pillar drill. Free-handing a Dremel type drill is more likely to bend the bit.
Did my destroyer in batches and amused meself with summat else in between . Each to his own, Happy pillaring (never tried drilling a pillar meself 😁)
Have you tried PMing david greatbatch to see what he's got plan-wise?
Cheers, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Oct 2018 00:19  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47267

Doug I will PM David. Been busy all day dealing with casting problems on the wheels of the Vincent and making dozens of dummy nuts'n'bolts.
I would have thought you'd have used Modelling Timbers for pre-drilled stanchions. His prices were so low, but now, alas, he's gone. I would probably make a little jig to drill the cast stanchions. I think boredom would set in before I broke a drill, but you're bang on about hand held minidrills. They go too fast and cannot be held really firmly. I use mine for cutting and grinding, shaping and polishing. I have a very small pillar drill with a buggy motor adapted to hold a small Jacobs chuck and run off a variable transformer. Today I drilled 40 1mm holes in the pattern for the Vincent rear wheel to assist the mould maker. All went very well.

Cheers,
Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Oct 2018 01:14  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47270

Hi Martin, My stanchions were pre-drilled, from Graupner ca 30 Years ago.
Never 'eard of Modelling Timbers. Timber stanchions!!!😲
I "only" had to drill the holes in the decks (thought that was what you meant), there were enough of them. Much worse though was fitting all the two part portholes 😡 Since fibre glassing the the hull I have to do that all over again😭
Frankly I think anyone who gets so many stanchions made as castings without pre-drilled rail holes need his bumps feeling.
I thoroughly agree ref mini drills, too easy to snap fine drill bits. 👍
For precision / repetitive drilling I use my Proxxon mini milling machine as a drill press. If I need more than one of something I knock up a simple jig (usually from hardwood taken from demolished old furniture) to hold the work piece in the machine vice attached to the milling machine cross bed.
I took the irritating collet fixing off the mill and fitted a real 3 jaw chuck 😉
Happy 'Vincenting', All the best, Doug 😎

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Oct 2018 09:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47275

real gentleman who started selling timbers for modelmakers, but had to stop that as he got a sensitivity to the dust of woods, but he also had a range of amazingly good stuff for amazingly low prices, including various stanchions. I bought all the remaining portholes from him because I hate glazing portholes! I have tiny working compasses, rigging scissors, tiny woodscrews, rigging cord, bottle screws, all sorts from him and all cost me very little. Alas, health issues have caused him to cease trading and he has been flogging of his stock on ebay. A great loss.

Martin

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

20th Oct 2018 09:17  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47276

What happened there? You get the gist.

Martin

Richard7
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 28
22nd Oct 2018 10:45  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47363

Hello Martin, I haven't got any plans but we did take a day trip on the Waverley this September from Tower Pier to Whitstable, "Fantastic"....I have some photos if you need them, just let me know...…
Kind Regards
Richard

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Nov 2018 22:15  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47873

Thanks, Richard, sorry missed this post. I will let my chum know. Currently the basement where he does his models is flooded thanks to the water company's broken main!

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

7th Nov 2018 23:30  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47876

Ooops! 😲
"NOW HEAR THIS: Damage Control Party to Basement flat, Man the pumps, Off-duty watch form bucket chains. THIS IS NOT A DRILL".
Trust he'll get suitable compensation from the water company!?

Wingcoax
(Sub-Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 21
7th Nov 2018 23:59  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47877

The local water company were responsible for my cellar flooding and "drowning" my "Sea Queen", they said to claim off my home insurance. Along with loss of all my dark room equipment and my radio control gear and sundry other kit it came to over a thousand pound. It took over three months to sort out.

petercbrown
(Lieutenant)

Forum Posts: 5
9th Nov 2018 11:48  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47916

I hope you get properly compensated. What a nightmare😱!!

Westquay
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Nov 2018 11:52  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47918

Doug, I think if I passed on your suggestion he'd seek you out and attack you!

Martin

RNinMunich
(Fleet Admiral!)

9th Nov 2018 23:16  
>> Permalink
mdlbt.com/47922

Justifiably perhaps. I'll keep my head down.
Just trying to "look on the bright side."
Dumb suggestion deleted.
Ciao, Doug