The motors that came in the deans marine kit were 28mm diameter, and looking at a YouTube clip, appeared much too high revving for the boat. In the YouTube clip it was nearly on the plane, so I decided new motors were required. Looking on mfa como site, I found some motors 22mm diameter and just under half the revs that the motors I had for the boat produced. I purchased 4 of these, then the fun started!
Mfa combo didn’t have any mounts for these motors so I had to fabricate my own. I had some 380 motor mounts but these had a 10mm hole in the centre, so a 14mm drill was ordered from eBay. The mounts were drilled on my myford lathe, then the screw mounting holes were widened with a small file. So far so good.
When these newly mounted motors were positioned in the boat it came apparent that the prop shafts came through too low to get a straight run to the motors, so I had to use double universal couplings to keep them as straight as possible. It also came apparent that 4 motors wouldn’t fit alongside each other, so the rear 2 had to be mounted behind the middle motors. That would have been much worse if I had used the original motors which were 6mm wider.
This left me another problem. The outside propshafts flexed far to much, so a little pillar was made with some brass tubing passing through to act as a bearing. The supporting column was filled with 2 part epoxy to secure it and that appears to have made everything rigid.