• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Transporting the boat
    4 Posts ยท 3 Followers ยท 13 Photos ยท 28 Likes
    Began 5 months ago by
    Lieutenant
    United States
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 5 months ago by
    Lieutenant
    United States
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Commodore-H
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ Transporting the boat
    32 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    You are right, LewZ, my "boat totes" take up space. Storing them at home is not a problem for me and so far, there is plenty of room in the cars. When I get to the pond the boxes go under the table, out of way. They are much more protective of the models and it makes it possible to carry a boat with a single hand which makes it really easy to put them down pick them up again to take out keys, open doors and so on. Years ago I did have some "boat totes" with extra arrangements to hold transmitters, tools, lunch, etc. Eventually I built a custom "field box", with compartments and drawers to hold batteries, transmitter, launching sling, and so on. One nice feature is that I can leave a bunch of stuff like tools, rinse bottle, launch sling in it ready to go. It also easily carried with one hand. So to for a quick sail, I only need to drop the transmitter and batteries in the field box, and I can carry the boat in one hand and the field box in the other.๐Ÿ˜œ
    The sure way to succeed is, just try one more time
    Login To
    Remove Ads

LewZ
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    43 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 12 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Looks very nice. Good workmanship. However the carriers look like they would take up some space.

I made simple stands (see photo) for all of my boats. The base is about 1/2 to 1 inch longer and wider than the extremes of the boat. This way when the are on a flat surface (like in my SUV) the hulls do not contact each other. The boats remain on these stands while on display on my shelves, in the auto, and on the benches at the park. As for tool storage, I have a "salesman's case" that has rollers and an extending handle. I holds my tools, battery spares, signs, water pumps, and even space for a few transmitters. I use the same case for both model boat and model tank meets.

The other type carrier I use is for my armor. Same basic idea, the base is larger than the perimeter of the vehicle so they can all sit next to each other without damage, but in this case the carrier also carries the transmitter and accessories for the vehicles. The vehicles stay on these carriers from display at home to the table at the tanks meets.

I guess we all have our favorite designs. I needed to keep my ideas on saving space and weight.

Thanks for sharing your photos!

Lew
    Florida, USA
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats.org)
    Len1
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    48 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    some very good ideas. The models look great. Len
    LEN1
    Commodore-H
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    83 Views ยท 20 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Transporting models can be a difficult thing. Typically they need to held with two hands which means the boat needs to be put down to open doors etc. Sometimes they can be damaged going through doors, up and down stairs, around corners, in and out of the car, etc. To make boats much easier to carry I build a custom carry box for each boat. They are easy to make, built basically like a crate/toolbox to save weight. It makes it possible to handle a reasonable size boat with one hand, and prevents accidental bumping and scratching. I feel anyone with the skills to build a model boat can make one of these.

Typically I make my box 1-2 inches longer and wider than the boat. If you decide to make one, make sure you allow extra height to easily wrap your hand comfortably around the handle. I use the thinnest cheapest plywood from the local store. I prefer cedar for the framework to save weight. Plywood is anchored to frame with staples and glue Start with the bottom that will determine overall size. Cut the plywood and begin the framing, then figure then out and build the ends and sides. Now is the time to drill the holes for the handle, I've used an old broom stick for this or piece of pvc pipe, any dowel will do usually around an inch thick. The front is attached with hinges to open easily and you need to work out something of your own choosing to keep the door shut.

Note in some cases I've made my mast removeable for easy transport and created a fixture to hold it separately. The Orca needed and extra fixture to keep the bow pulpit from bumping the end.
    The sure way to succeed is, just try one more time

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy