So, after watching a disappointing f1 qualifying.... I decided its time to pull out the old diesel and see if its salvageable.
Once out, a little gentle torque and it felt "gummed up" like if the fuel had been left in for a long long time rather than being seized.
Not knowing where she was stuck, i didn't want to force it and risk bending a con rod, marring the bearings or scoring the bores, so I decided to strip it down.
Was nice to see lock wire used on each end of the crank cases, compression screws came out ok(both at very different turns though) heads came off clean, as did the carb, exhaust and cylinders.
The cylinder to crankcase gaskets are intact and look in serviceable condition too.
Have yet to strip the carb.
By the look of it, the main crankshaft halves seems to be an interference fit, so as long as the centre bearing is OK with no play I will not seperate it.
I will replace the bearings in both crankcase end cases, I have a local bearing supplier that I use for work, so I'm sure the lt can source the required sizes.
All parts have been put into my cleaner, so will come back in a day or two once that has had a chance to dissolve all the organic matter and clean/inspect and reassemble.
Is it too premature to order some diesel for it😝