All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.
Many thanks for your kind support.
Model Boats Website Team
February 2019: 8 people January 2019: 16 people December 2018: 6 people November 2018: 11 people October 2018: 9 people September 2018: 13 people August 2018: 5 people July 2018: 8 people June 2018: 8 people May 2018: 7 people April 2018: 9 people
Nerys I original tried in-hull only but I could not get enough weight in a form that I could use with the RC related items I needed. Another build blog on this website showed theirs using the extension and the bulb so I changed tack.
These plans were most likely downloaded from this website. I'll email you what I have in the best resolution that I have. I'll keep an eye out for photos of the original kit box, the kit, original plans but I don't recall ever taking any. The box itself made it through several moves but was apparently culled out when we downsized.
Thanx steve-d and nerys. You've confirmed my suspicion. Do you think that the width of the weight (bb container) is contributing? Would it be enough if I round off one end of the weight and bevel the lead edge of the vertical extension?
I need some help. I've successfully refurbished my static display Emma C. Berry model and added remote control. I have the sails on a winch loop, I have the rudder on a servo, I even managed to add a motor, and an extended keel with weight. The one issue that I have not been able to resolve is maneuvering under sail. Primarily, I cannot get it to move through the irons when coming about. She responds and the sails will luft, she might even catch some wind but she never makes enough of a turn to change direction. I've already changed out the rudder for the larger size on the plans. I've also tried extending the depth of the rudder. Bottom line, she is mainly being driven by the current. In this situation, by current I mean whichever way the wind is blowing the small lake. It is a local park lake and doesn't really have any inherent current. My one suspicion is the keel I added. It is doing its job to keep her upright and providing some resistance but in the end, the underwater current is overpowering her response to the rudder and/or trimming the sails. See Photo. I had originally wanted to incorporate a more rounded profile on the ends of the weight and the shafts but I remember reading somewhere that it isn't that critical Sails are per the plans and made from the material that came with the kit (25+ years ago). I even added a couple of sailor figures but we still can't establish control. 😭
I've been trying different configurations for controlling the sails. Finally settled on the winch circular method and managed to get it installed and calibrated. My tether broke the other day. Fortunately, a kayaker came along and graciously retrieved her for me. So I decided it was time to go ahead and add a motor. The drag of the tether was affecting my ability to get control of her. After a few failed attempts, I was able to come up with a configuration that works. Probably way overpowered but I had a spare motor from a defunk helicopter sitting around. AND finally, the beauty of her markings are back. I found a source for new labels (much easier to apply than the original ones that were water based).
I took my Emma out for a second "real" water voyage, tethered of course. Overall I am pleased with my progress. I need a more powerful servo to manage the sails and my rudder mechanism needs to be reworked so that it doesn't bind-up short when tacking starboard. https://youtu.be/_IXdwBZyCqE
I'm dealing with a similar situation. What I cannot see or figure out in any of these setups is how sheeting out the line(s) is handled. In my "real" sailboat, I'm in a constant tug-of-war with the wind trying to pull the sail and line out. When I sail my RC, the wind does not always have the force necessarily pull the line out leaving the line bunched up in and around the winch below deck.
Decided to sail her maiden voyage in a more controlled environment -- our condo pool. Rudder worked fine. Lines for sails got fouled up in the winch quickly. Wind was very light. A lot of sideways movement so I will have to increase the keel. I expected that but was hoping that it would be okay for pleasure cruising but there is clearly not enough underwater resistance to gain much control. With the lines fouled, a sudden 30 foot wave took her over and she turtled. BUT she didn't sink and she was a beauty while it lasted. Funny thing is my maiden cruise in my 14' Cyclone ended with capsizing for a similar reason. Only difference is it had been awhile since I had sailed and I forgot to let off the throttle when the wind picked up and a 100' wave took me over. Recovery with my Emma was much less challenging than with my Cyclone. 😀😉⛵️
I purchased this kit 30 years ago. I finally finished it 8 years ago as a static model. Recently, I decided to convert it to a remote control model. We displayed it for a few years but when we moved and downsized, it had to go to storage. Overall it survived but the hull had some damage. Also, since I didn't build it with the intent of ever putting it into the water, I had to patch, seal, rethink, etc.