📝 Adding the wheelhouse details....
First day back at it after a few shifts at work, gotta earn those pennies to fund this hobby!
Today has been productive in that I’ve managed to cut out all the holes ready to install the various side bins the are on the wheelhouse. These include a port and starboard fuel filler box, fire fighting housing, fore life-raft housing and the radiator intake vent hole aft on the starboard side. Once all the holes had been cut using the dremel, they were tidied up with various files and then each resin part was tack glued with CA before adding epoxy on the inside. Once set, any gaps was addressed with P38 filler and sanded back once set.
I’ve also spent some time measuring all the fixing points for the various grab rails that are fitted to the wheelhouse. A few weeks ago, I emailed the RNLI asking if they had had a set of plans for the Shannon, within minutes I was sent a full set of PDF files showing all the views of the boat, top, sides, 3D view and they show every detail of every part fitted, simply superb. I was able to get the required scale up increase from a member on a Facebook Shannon model group and he put me in touch with a printer in Yorkshire who could print all 3 sheets for £15 posted, they arrived within 48 hours and will be invaluable during this build. A huge thanks to the RNLl, Dan on FB and the printers!
The various rails are made from brass wire and the fitting and soldering of the legs was done in situ on the boat for accuracy. Once all the brass had been cleaned up, I added the photo etched mounting circles with thick CA. the roof rails have been primed, but I have still to complete the side grab rails and the front rails.
Also added was the large photo etched roof detail sheet which was a superb fit along with a couple of resin parts on the side which are painted orange when the wheel house gets painted. There is an abundance of detail parts still to add but these will be prepared and painted off the wheel house and added once the main wheelhouse painting has been done.
I’ve got a nice large compartment box to put completed detail parts in so that I can add them at a later date 👌