It was around this time that I started to really look at electronics and motion requirements. One of he vendors I regularly visit is ServoCity. They do a lot with robotics, especially combat robots. I few years ago they started to carry a line of servos by GoBilda. The line has since expanded and it fit my needs perfectly. GoBilda will also sell direct retail I have since found out. The servos I bought, to animate my turrets and torpedo tubes, rotae 180 degrees, out of the box, and with a servo expander, also available fro GoBilda, they will give 300 degree rotation. An added plus is that they are programable servos that can be made to give 360 degree continuous/reversible rotation with proportional control. I know this sound like an advertisement, but they work. They have expanded their line to include a Torque version of their servo which, while slower is much more powerful. I originally ordered Speed versions of their servos, but have changed them out to the Torque version when I found that some of my turrets dragged and loaded the servos down.
So with my "drives" purchased, I set about making mounts for the servos which drive the five turrets, the MK 37 gun director and the torpedo tubes. It was somewhere around this time that I also discovered the FrSky X9E tray radio. I have talked about these before, but it was a leap for me because I had always used 75mhz analog radios. The learning curve was very steep, even with numerous videos and threads on different forums discussing these units. The is an Englishman who has posted wonderful videos about FrSky and I owe him my understanding.
Going back to my servos and drives for a moment; the hardware for connecting the servos, to the shafts of all the items I wanted to animate, are also available fro the two vendors I have mentioned. Especially nice is a servo adapter that screws into place of the servo arm. It has a clap like shape that tightens around a 1/4" shaft. perfect for my needs and very simple to adjust, not the mention allowing easy removal of the turret, ect.
General planning now entailed smoker placement that would clear the deck houses. On my last destroyer I used one large smoker and piped it to two stacks. It worked very well, but is cumbersome. I also tried to plan out my electronics bay to be neat and accessible, but as usual, neat did not work and accessible is a matter of interpretation. In the end a stacked two level electronics bay fit everything in, so far. I do not have pictures of this part of the build so I'll move on the detailing the houses.
For fittings I used two primary sources, Distefan on Shapeways and Robert Thomas who makes Quartermaster fittings. Robert makes perhaps the finest resin fittings I have come across. I decided to show a number of house doors open and to make functional the house vents.I did this to supply air to the smokers and allow heat from the motors to vent out.
In the first photo, the entire bridge above the 01 level is 3D printed, including the gun director and it's base. Moving aft, the stacks, torpedo tubes, all turrets, the side 20mm shields,and the aft superstructure, again above the 01 level are also all 3D. The time and effort this saves is amazing. All doors are Quartermaster.
I made the house events and started to add hand rails. Many were later removed when I found that I had neglected equipment that interfered with them. Deck access hatches were added, house braces and quarter round house extensions were started. I lined the house portholes with brass tubing and drilled the holes for the future house lights and lined them with brass tubing as well. Valve wheels went in and various reels mounted. The objects alongside the after house are spart K-gun arbors.
Till next time