|||
Not Registered
Go AD FREE & get your membership medal
BRONZE
Less Ads
SILVER
GOLD
Ad Free
Cancel
Anytime
ยฃ2.50
ยฃ4.50
ยฃ6.50
Subscribe
Go AD FREE & get your membership medal
BRONZE
Less Ads
SILVER
GOLD
Ad Free
For A Whole Year!
ยฃ25
ยฃ45
ยฃ65
Donate
You Will Be Helping Towards:

  • Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

    Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

    Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

    Read more

    All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

    Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

    Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Kathryn - a Thames Bawley - 8
    1 Post ยท 2 Followers ยท 7 Photos ยท 12 Likes
    Began 21 days ago by
    Captain
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 21 days ago by
    Captain
    United Kingdom
    Most recent posts shown first   (Show Oldest First) (Print Booklet)
    ๐Ÿ“ Kathryn - a Thames Bawley - 8
    21 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง flaxbybuck ( Captain)
    โœง 49 Views ยท 12 Likes ยท 2 Comments
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Add Comment
    You will have gathered that I spent a lot of time planning how everything should be; where it should go; its size; the sequence of work to be done; how I wanted it to look; the compromises made; how it should operate; the convenience etc etc. That's not to say I was happy with things first time around. On the contrary, some items were made and re made several times before I was satisfied.

    Working to the sail plan (see photo 1) I decided which sails I would like, and which would not be needed. Throughout this build I was mindful that this was to be a sailing model rather than an accurate and detailed model. I wanted to be able to attach sails or remove them easily at the pondside, and to accommodate different wind speeds opted for two sizes of mainsail and headsail; a staysail, one jib and a flying jib, also a large staysail that would take the place of the last three sails.

    The mast is made from 18mm dowel; the topmast, boom, bowsprit, and gaff from 12mm dowel and the spreader from 6mm dowel. Dowels were first shaped and smoothed, then stained and varnished. (photo 2)

    The foot of the mast was shaped (photo 4) and in the bottom of the hull a 'mound' of car body filler created with a matching socket. This prevents the mast from turning or swivelling whilst in use.

    A wooden ring was made and slid down the mast where it was glued into place. Beneath this and reaching down to the deck I glued vertical timbers encircling the mast with brackets supporting the ring. This ring supports the jaws of the boom. (Photos 5 and 6).

    In photo 7 can be seen the cleats and mouldings below the ring for tying off various sheets and ropes. The cleats are made by shaping a long piece of wood to create a shallow 'C' section, then sawing off each cleat to the desired thickness, and finally sanding to shape. They are attached to the mast with both glue (PVA), and screw eyes. I use these because they are available in very small sizes, are simpler to screw into place than normal screws, and also provide an additional eye to which things can be attached. Hidden from view is an 'O' ring on the mast that prevents water getting into the hull.

    Photo 3 shows some of the sails laid out. Sails are made of cotton (old bed sheets I believe). The material was first dyed, the light colour using tea, the dark brown using Dylon fabric dye. Full size patterns for all sails were drawn up. From these drawings patterns were made of stiff paper, the actual size of the finished sail. After marking out the material was cut using a steel straight edge and sharp knife. These 'proofs' were then checked against the drawings before proceeding.

    The first operation on the sewing machine was to cut out and sew on the corner reinforcing patches. Narrow bias binding (5/8" I believe) was sewn onto all sides and the corners trimmed off. Small eyelets were then put into each corner.

    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Re: Kathryn - a Thames Bawley - 8
    21 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น AlessandroSPQR ( Commodore)
    โœง 50 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Flaxbybuck you truly are a master.
    Exceptional and thorough work.
    A guide for all of us.
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Re: Kathryn - a Thames Bawley - 8
    21 days ago by ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช RNinMunich ( Fleet Admiral)
    โœง 46 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Very nicely done FB๐Ÿ‘
    But rather you than me Gungadin! Hat off๐Ÿค“
    Cheers, Doug๐Ÿ˜Ž


    About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy