• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Do we want to talk about propellers?
    51 Posts ยท 14 Followers ยท 20 Photos ยท 263 Likes
    Began 26 days ago by
    Captain
    Italy
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 15 days ago by
    Captain
    Italy
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    AlessandroSPQR
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    ๐Ÿ“ Do we want to talk about propellers?
    27 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    I thought that on this topic other impressions, information, anecdotes and problems relating to the world of propellers could be collected but to summarize data that can be useful to everyone it would be better to create a new topic.
    In fact, in my opinion, searching for the message of interest among hundreds is very difficult and one can easily give up.
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Len1
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    37 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 22 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    using thread lock is a good idea but just be careful on the type you use. They come is various strength from mild that you can easily break the joint all the way up to high strength which is almost impossible to break the joint without damaging the joined parts. There are also other products like vibra-tite but are usually used on threads that are 1/4inch or larger and I have not used them on smaller sizes so I do not know how well they will work.Len
    LEN1
    BOATSHED
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    39 Views ยท 7 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 minute ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Wolle,
    That's the method that I use when experimenting with different size propellors. Once I have the one I want I then use just a dab of thread lock and tighten the two nuts together.
    I have never had a problem if I have ever wanted to remove a propellor at a later date even when using the thread lock. But then I hasten to add I just use a dab just enough to secure not a lot of the stuff.
    BOATSHED
    Len1
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    53 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    another problem with just using a locknut if you go from full forward to full reverse this puts a tremendous load on the nut and can cause it to loosen if there is not something to prevent the nut from turning. You can install a small set screw (grub screw) into the side of the nut, use a low strength locktite than can be loosened, use a cotter pin thru the nut as Alessandro mentioned, use a double nut.
    I prefer not to use lock nuts because the way they look and too easy for them to loosen. I like to secure the prop to the shaft by installing a set screw into a tapped hole in the side of the prop and create a flat along the prop shaft. The flat serves a number of purpose such as preventing the prop from spinning. keeps the set screw for scoring the shaft and making removing the prop very difficult and also allows you to reposition the prop in and out along the shaft Len
    LEN1
    Wolle
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช Germany
    48 Views ยท 7 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello, you can also screw a nut onto the shaft first and then the propeller. Then screw the nut and the propeller onto the shaft against each other (locking).
    AlessandroSPQR
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    52 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi JockScott.

I know that many use nuts and lock nuts. It's probably a great solution.
    I've never used it because it wasn't aesthetically coerent to show the nut.

Others use thread locking glue.
    If you think you will never have to replace the propeller it may be a good solution.
    I preferred not to, I have a plastic propeller that can break.
    I might have to replace it and I don't want to go crazy undoing the threads.

I'll tell you the method I used.
    First choose the direction of the propeller so that when moving forward it tends to tighten (and not loosen).
    In this way, when moving backwards, the propeller will tend to slip out, but you will almost always go forward.
    It is not enough.
    I also insert a cotter pin.
    This I make a hole with a small drill bit and go through the propeller pin and shaft crosswise.
    I insert a metal or alloy thread (brass or steel for example).
    The cotter pin will hold simply by bending the ends.
    Be careful, the hole must not be wider than the cotter pin otherwise the cotter pin (especially if made of steel) will start to cut by dancing in the hole.
    JockScott
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    47 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    How are propellers secured to the shaft? Is it sufficient to tighten it against the nut the shaft came with or, to be sure, does it require other means? I noticed the suggestion to invest in cheap propellers when experimenting....๐Ÿค”
    AlessandroSPQR
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    54 Views ยท 7 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Good evening everyone.

Scattered thoughts on the subject.

ChrisF's latest post is interesting and especially his rule of thumb: "the diameter of the propeller must not exceed the diameter of the brush motor if there are no reductions".
    Out of curiosity I checked and in my case I always respected this rule.

I would like to include in the next post a summary (updatable) of all your suggestions and links to manufacturers of propellers for ship modeling.

I would also like to include a summary of the proportions between the dimensions of the ship (length and weight) and the characteristics of the propeller.

Most likely, if you do not use an excessively small or excessively large propeller, the model will still sail if it is not a high-speed motorboat.
    The latter have more problems and not just propellers; I've seen many people try these cars and walk away angry and disappointed because they couldn't make them navigate at speed, they couldn't make them take turns, they couldn't make them travel a minimum distance without them tipping over.

I forgot that model propellers, unlike real ones, must have the very important indication of the thread.
    ChrisF
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    61 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Obviously prop sizing will be discussed in greater detail as we progress through the subject but I think it worth mentioning at this stage for those with less experience in sizing of props (I include myself in that as only got into the hobby around 7 years ago) that an important consideration is the type and size of motor being used which in turn is dependent on the type, size and weight of model - as mentioned earlier with regard to props, the motor type and size options can usually be obtained from other modellers who have built the same model, from the kit instructions or the plans. For brushed motors there is general information available as well. Less so for brushless.

For brushed motors the rule of thumb/best practice is to have a prop diameter no greater than the diameter of the motor, unless using a reduction system using gears or a belt etc. Brushless can turn bigger props but personally I tend to follow the same rule or maybe a little bigger as I don't use water cooling in my builds and don't want the motor working too hard and getting hot - I tend to oversize my motors anyway.

My RTR (ready to run) plastic raceboats with brushed and brushless motors are a different matter and are water cooled as they are running at constant high speeds.

It is important at an early stage to have a good idea of what motor and hence prop is going to be used so that if using a traditional prop shaft it can be positioned so that there is sufficient clearance between the largest prop that might be used and the hull and for mounting the motor.

Chris
    Building 6 Faireys at a scale of 1:12 and another in the pipeline!
    Len1
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    67 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Boatshed thanks for the info based on your experience. It is a good staring point. Len
    LEN1
    Show 41 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy