• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Do we want to talk about propellers?
    57 Posts ยท 13 Followers ยท 22 Photos ยท 291 Likes
    Began 6 months ago by
    Rear Admiral
    Italy
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 4 months ago by
    Rear Admiral
    Italy
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    ๐Ÿ“ Do we want to talk about propellers?
    25 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Nice model, though.
    Do you have a video or YouTube link?
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Rudy-M
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ South Africa
    30 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 17 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Allesandro yes, sticking to the OEM is first prize. However, when it's a kit build it doesn't really matter to me. This particular kit is old and was damaged a few times in its life.
    Rudy
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    26 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi CTSMBC.

You must excuse me if I couldn't understand everything completely, due to the translation, my fault.
    I'm glad you agree with my method on how to attach the propellers.
    It was just a suggestion to help those who have never done it and have no other ideas, but there are equally valid methods.
    For the moment, after reading all the opinions, my method still convinces me (at least for a certain type of RC models).
    As regards propellers in general, a lot has been written in this and other topics, so I understand that not everyone wants to read everything, maybe some messages are skipped.
    However, precisely on the propellers I wrote, among other things, that the best method is to do some tests.
    I don't disdain calculations in general, but in this case I didn't do any.
    I did them when I talked about the immersed volume but that was another matter.
    However, I believe that before doing any tests, it is better to have a minimum of basic knowledge about propellers and start from the clearest ideas possible. This was the purpose of this and my other three threads on the subject.
    In the last part of your message, I really appreciate your resourcefulness, but I have a completely different philosophy. If I understand correctly, to solve the problem you replaced the double propeller system with a single propeller.
    If you have achieved your goal, good for you, but I prefer to solve the problem respecting the original plan.
    Rudy-M
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ South Africa
    31 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 17 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    After scrolling all the way back to the original post to find the answer, I realised...YES. All the comments following the questions tells me we want to talk about propellers. But there's another thread on the topic that I'm following.
    One thing I do agree with is ASPQR's method of fixing the propellers. While I normally buy the whole drive set from Raboesch, some models I picked up is what I call "butcher built". It's a scratch built where you scratch in dustbins for items you can butcher and use as parts.
    I have a Chriscraft that was butcher built. It has 3mm shafts and props with 4mm holes. Now one prop lost a blade in the shallows and I have to replace it. The shaft is smooth ended. It cannot be removed without removing the motor first. And, it has to be counter rotating which means I need to find the exact prop in with the exact same pitch in a CW configuration to match the CCW one that is still in tact.
    The solution?
    Total rebuilt.
    Cheapest option - convert from twin to single
    Rudy
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    43 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Mike, I totally agree with you.
    I had already written it in the thirty-first message and in the fortieth message regarding Boatshed and Len's practical tests.
    Practice tests are the best thing to do.
    With my latest model I did not test various propellers.
    I did some evaluations, chose one and pinned it. The tests went well and the result is what I expected.
    But if I were to build a motorboat or if I were to give advice I would prefer to follow your method, also because trying different propellers is fun. Your propeller tests and experience may be useful to other modelers.
    Your Sylvie is inserted in the following link.
    This means that anyone who wants to build a model that is the same or very similar to yours could avoid (if they don't want to) buy a lot of propellers to do the necessary tests.
    Looking at your model it already has a very valid starting point.

forum/135991
    Mike Stoney
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ญ Switzerland
    44 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello all!
    When I read everything like this, the propeller problem really is a closed book!
    For me, it's important that the speed and the wave pattern match the model.
    I had this problem with the "Sylvie" (ex lotse), but solved it after several attempts with different types of propeller.
    Patience, test and test again . . eventually it's right!
    Bb Michel-C.
    if you don't ask, you won't get an answer!
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    53 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    I thought that on this topic other impressions, information, anecdotes and problems relating to the world of propellers could be collected but to summarize data that can be useful to everyone it would be better to create a new topic.
    In fact, in my opinion, searching for the message of interest among hundreds is very difficult and one can easily give up.
    Len1
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    64 Views ยท 7 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 19 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    using thread lock is a good idea but just be careful on the type you use. They come is various strength from mild that you can easily break the joint all the way up to high strength which is almost impossible to break the joint without damaging the joined parts. There are also other products like vibra-tite but are usually used on threads that are 1/4inch or larger and I have not used them on smaller sizes so I do not know how well they will work.Len
    LEN1
    BOATSHED
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    65 Views ยท 8 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Wolle,
    That's the method that I use when experimenting with different size propellors. Once I have the one I want I then use just a dab of thread lock and tighten the two nuts together.
    I have never had a problem if I have ever wanted to remove a propellor at a later date even when using the thread lock. But then I hasten to add I just use a dab just enough to secure not a lot of the stuff.
    BOATSHED
    Len1
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    78 Views ยท 7 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 19 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    another problem with just using a locknut if you go from full forward to full reverse this puts a tremendous load on the nut and can cause it to loosen if there is not something to prevent the nut from turning. You can install a small set screw (grub screw) into the side of the nut, use a low strength locktite than can be loosened, use a cotter pin thru the nut as Alessandro mentioned, use a double nut.
    I prefer not to use lock nuts because the way they look and too easy for them to loosen. I like to secure the prop to the shaft by installing a set screw into a tapped hole in the side of the prop and create a flat along the prop shaft. The flat serves a number of purpose such as preventing the prop from spinning. keeps the set screw for scoring the shaft and making removing the prop very difficult and also allows you to reposition the prop in and out along the shaft Len
    LEN1
    Show 47 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy