• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Smoke spaghetti
    37 Posts ยท 8 Followers ยท 17 Photos ยท 117 Likes
    Began 4 months ago by
    Fleet Admiral
    New Zealand
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 3 months ago by
    Fleet Admiral
    New Zealand
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ New Zealand
    ๐Ÿ“ Smoke spaghetti
    30 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    A further improvement using a timer to switch the element on and off as I mentioned it my last post. Experimenting with times to get the balance right. This timer is- on 8 secs off 5. Now have it on 10 secs, off 5 which is better. Battery drops .25v when on, but recovers mostly when off.

JB

Login To
    Remove Ads

Fred
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Smoke spaghetti
    39 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi One & All
    Thank you Doug for the links, I am using one from Component shop to power the LED's on one of my boats.
    The item in the photo's is a unit that works on 3.7 - 12 volts, in photo 2 are my attempts to bypass the jack plug and the on/off switch, some how I have burnt out a few,
    Product Introduction:
    1.Diameter:20mm
    2.Operating Voltage:3.7-12V
    3.Frequency:113+/-3KHz
    4.Quiescent Capacitor:3000+/-15%PF
    5.Rated Voltage:70V (max)
    6.Rated Power:2.5W (normal use 1.5W)
    if any one can see just were I have gone wrong, could you please point me in the right direction.
    Thank you
    Fred
    That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
    DWBrinkman
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ Smoke spaghetti
    43 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Doug,

Sorry for interrupting, I'm sure the component you referenced is a great product.

But ...
    Your comment "But if you want good solid reliable British engineering" made me chuckle.

I have been an auto enthusiast for many years, and this quote pretty much reflects my gut reaction to British electronics ... "Lucas - earned a reputation as the โ€œPrince of Darknessโ€ in not only Jaguars but in all manner of vehicles produced in Great Britain. Rovers, MGโ€™s, Triumphsโ€ฆ anything that had Lucas in them.. Austinโ€™s you name it if it had Lucas Electrics in it.. you would be most fortunate if the switch you flicked on - actually worked.."

I am aware that times change, and you were making reference to entirely different components. It just struck me as funny, and I thought I'd share my reaction.

Now, "Back to regular programming".

Dave B

PS I very much appreciate the info shared here. I appreciate the experience and expertise of the members on this site, and have learned a lot!
    So far my collection resembles "The Island of Misfit Toys". I've picked up several boats that are old builds and have been neglected. I'm giving them the TLC they need, hoping to bring them back to their former glory. Once I get enough practice/ experience I intend to take on a full build.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช Germany
    ๐Ÿ“ Smoke spaghetti
    43 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Fred,
    Here's a couple of links to some of the cheaper (Asian) alternative BECs.
    and what's on Ebay UK. The Hobbywing job for 2,81 looks good.
    Other members will no doubt also have their favourites and Go-To's.
    Happy hunting๐Ÿคž
    Cheers, Doug๐Ÿ˜Ž

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-d&q=5V+BEC
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?campid=5338192028&kw=5V%20BEC&mkcid=1&mkrid=71
    Young at heart ๐Ÿ˜‰ Slightly older in other places.๐Ÿ˜Š Cheers Doug
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช Germany
    ๐Ÿ“ Smoke spaghetti
    43 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Fred,
    Thanks for the info๐Ÿ‘
    So, all you need is a simple 5V regulator; Input 7.4V upwards, Output 5.0V.
    Minimum current capability 500mA.
    Available all over the Weird Wobbly Web for p-nuts.
    Many cheap Ch... options available.
    But if you want good solid reliable British engineering this one from Action Electronics, sold through Component Shop. See link below.
    Simple to make (I just use an L7805 regulator, same 3 legged form as the L7806 in pdf description, but 5V output) but if your not too happy with a soldering iron ...๐Ÿค”
    This little job for 9 quid provides 5V at up to 1A (1000mA).
    Out of stock at the moment so they've gotta cook up a new batch๐Ÿ˜‰
    Many similar items from other suppliers around.
    Just look for Voltage Regulator or BEC. (Battery Eliminator Circuit).
    The ESC you are using may already have a BEC built in. Check the ESC specs.
    Cheers, Doug๐Ÿ˜Ž

https://www.componentshop.co.uk/p19-bec-1a-battery-eliminator-2264.html.html
    Fred
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Smoke spaghetti
    48 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Doug
    I have taken this from the details that are on eBay, I hope that it is of some help.
    Circuit board product voltage: DV 5V
    Current: 300mA
    Power: 2W
    Frequency 108KHz, fixed frequency single-chip microcomputer
    Driver board size: 35*20*17mm (L*W*H) (there will be slight errors)
    Strong versatility, large amount of fog, stable performance, the chip has an automatic timing shutdown function (4 hours of continuous work will automatically shut down protection, if you need to turn on again, press the power on again). 5V USB power supply mode, can be powered by MICRO charging cable.
    Atomizing film parameters:
    The net diameter of the atomized steel sheet is 16mm, the outer diameter of the silicone ring is 20mm, and the wire length is 8cm.
    Product voltage DV 5V, current 300mA, power 2W, frequency 108KHz, hole number 740, hole diameter 5um
    The microporous atomized sheet produced by us is coated with a special glaze protective layer on the surface of the ceramic sheet, which is resistant to acid and alkali and prevents the silver layer from being corroded and oxidized by the liquid.
    That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช Germany
    ๐Ÿ“ Smoke spaghetti
    45 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Fred,
    What is the normal operating voltage and current consumption of the humidifier?
    Cheers, Doug๐Ÿ˜Ž
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฉ๐Ÿ‡ช Germany
    ๐Ÿ“ Smoke spaghetti
    45 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi All,
    When trying to open/run Fred's Media File (video) you may get the Error message shown in attached pic.๐Ÿค”
    Reason: The file is in .AVI format which our website doesn't seem to like!
    Solution:-
    Hit the 'Download' button (Tiny White arrow at top left of the media window) and run the file from your device drive; e.g. using Media Player on a Windows device.
    Cheers, Doug๐Ÿ˜Ž
    Fred
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Smoke spaghetti
    50 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi One & All
    If I may put my two penne's worth in, I have been using the tank smoke units in my boats for the last few years, the one in item 26 is the old style of smoke unit, the new ones are more compact, with care the fan unit can be removed and placed some were different in the boat, so far I have stayed away from the "E" cig this is only due to my lack of knowledge, I have tried to go down the route of the water Mini Ultrasonic Mist Maker Fogger Water Air Humidifier, but so far I must have burnt out some 10 control boards, I have tried the 5v doughnut Ultrasonic Mist Maker, this has work but take up a lot of room in the boat.
    If any of you electronic wizards can work out how to get these humidifiers to work on say 7.4v could you please put up a list of parts and some form of drawing.
    Fred
    jbkiwi
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ New Zealand
    ๐Ÿ“ Smoke spaghetti
    54 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Lew, looks like he might have picked a different one (that one uses a diaphragm air pump like most of my experiments) . I see the one you were talking about with the fan on the side, but the same thing applies (I've done that 3 yrs ago as you can see in the previous pic) The latest experiment also uses a diaphragm air pump, and we have found them to be better than a bulky fan, as they can be fitted anywhere in the boat.

The one you've shown could be a reasonable unit if the element was replaceable. The problem with the HengLong piston versions was that the element (wire wound in some, tiny resistor in others, was ) they were not easy to repair. They were cheap but worked on low voltage, (from memory about 7V max) which made them easy to burn out if you made a mistake. I bought 4 when they were cheap from Ali Exp, but I don't think any are still working.

I found the vape coils were much more robust (Graham 93 and Mike T use them) and easy to replace,- also have various wattages available. The latest experiment cost me around NZ $25, - the tank being the most expensive item, (they didn't have a smaller one in stock) but any small metal or aluminium tank would have done. Probably took me about 1 hr to make.

I'm going to see if I can find a constant on/off timer to pulse the element and test the battery/smoker run times.

JB
    Show 27 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy