• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    A suitable glue?????????????
    13 Posts ยท 11 Followers ยท 3 Photos ยท 76 Likes
    Began 2 months ago by
    Captain
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 2 months ago by
    Captain
    United States
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jumpugly
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ A suitable glue?????????????
    30 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 51 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Gary. I use the Medium CA for quick general work and the Extra ThickCA to have a bit of time to move a part and then dab a bit of Insta-Set on the joint when the plank location is just where you want it. The Medium is great as well, but will set pretty fast on itโ€™s own. I avoid the Thin CA as it runs like water and takes patience to get the feel for it. I donโ€™t feel that itโ€™s right for any kind of planking unless you want to run a bead down a bulkhead behind the planking where you wonโ€™t see it to further reinforce what youโ€™ve already done.

It NEVER hurts to do some test strips on scrap whenever possible to get a feel for it.
    I always keep a bottle of Medium and Extra Thick handy with the Insta-Set close at hand.
    Login To
    Remove Ads

GaryLC
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    31 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 16 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    A big thank you for all the helpful posts I received, and very much appreciated. Thinking back and checking out my open launch and avatar, I realised I didn't actually use planks I used sheet veneer, and I think I used evostik. In checking out evostik on amazon I was some what amused to find on the advertising label evostik sticks like sh*t. (As in to the preverbal blanket?) I also managed to find numerous Bob Smith Industries BSI CA glue, numerous sorts which is a little confusing when you are getting on a bit. So please could I have a little more help on that one. Regards, Gary.
    Gary Steam Marine, the only way to go.
    BobbyN
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ‡ฆ๐Ÿ‡บ Australia
    27 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 7 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Gary

Recently my Association has been conducting tests on the glue shown in the link shown below. It has proven to be surprisingly good for the cost and whilst I cannot give it my full seal of approval
    it is performing well. It is supposed to glue anything to anything and so far it has successfully glued plastic glasses frames leather straps on sandals as well as plastics and wood. Its EBay description is "3PCS Powerful Solder Multi-Material Repair Adhesive Welding High-Strength Oily"
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/335063293670?_trkparms=amclksrc%3DITM%26aid%3D111000
    Len1
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    42 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    As jumpugly has suggested it is a good idea to apply the CA accelerator to the joint with a applicator instead of spraying because you get localized control and prevent spraying the accelerator all over and may premature setting up of the next joint next to the existing one. Also the fumes are nasty to breath and smell. I use pointed steel rod or tooth pick to apply the accelerator. Len
    LEN1
    jumpugly
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    37 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I am with Greg too. Could never have planked anything without CA and a bit of accelerator. However, I prefer to dab accelerator on specific points of the build with a super cheap brush instead of a wide spray. Youโ€™ll go through a bunch of crappy brushes, but the control is worth it.
    GregHiltz
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    36 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 8 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    I can only speak for myself, but I would definitely use a good medium set (10 - 15 sec.)
    CA glue, and probably use a quick squirt of Accelerator on the fibreglass side.
    If you are on the North American side of the world, I recommend Bob Smith Industries(BSI)
    Brand.
    I have been using and selling it for 20 years.
    Commodore-H
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    46 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 15 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I admit I never heard of that product. Did it live up to it's name?

Glueing things to fiberglass can be a difficult thing. Let me make offer a few suggestions.

Try fiberglass resin, it can be thickened with a number of things if you like, such as fine sawdust.

Construction adhesive, that generally comes in caulking gun type tube, but is very thick.

Epoxy putty, the brands I know are JB Weld and PC7 I know these work because I have used them. They also quite thick and messy to use.
    The sure way to succeed is, just try one more time
    Fred
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    41 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 20 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I also go along with the roughing up the hull surface, I have used a product called "stick like shit" it's made by Evo-Stik, you can get in the likes of B&Q - Scerwfix and others.
    I have used it to fix the wood deck frame of the Lady "T"
    Fred
    That's all right, Mr Ryan. My Morse is so rusty, I could be sending him dimensions on Playmate of the Month.
    jumpugly
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    44 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Gary: I'm with Lew on the rough up the current surface a bit. I would also clean it with a common dish detergent and water.
    I then trial fit each plank and use a thick CA glue (thick CAโ€™s set a bit slower) to seat each plank. Then seal with a good spar varnish.
    Keep us in the loop on this one! It sounds like a fun challenge!
    LewZ
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    61 Views ยท 9 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    There are basically two types of fiberglass resins, polyester and epoxy. They polyester usually has a waxy finish that has problems with cementing objects to. If it is polyester you might need to use a solvent to clean off the waxy feel and perhaps even rough up the surface for better adhesion. Surface preparation is going to be important here. As there is always a possibility of getting water in the hull use a waterproof adhesive and seal the wood. Like different brands of cars, everyone has their favorite adhesive, cement, or epoxy so you will probably get a lot of opinions.
    Lew
    Florida ๐Ÿ˜Ž, USAโค๏ธ
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats.org)
    Show 3 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy