• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Electronize speed controllers
    by kevinsharpe πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    49 Posts 48 Replies 4 Photos 78 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Newby7
    Sub-Lieutenant
    πŸ“ Electronize speed controllers
    Flag
    Online: 30 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The more you write here or in a blog I will be reading to see if I can learn more on electronics .Rick
    SeamanCook
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    This forum started with a specific problem on Electronize controllers and kind of got diverted. Kevin, did you fix it??
    Julio, just keep an eye on Build blogs where I will be recording and sharing the Southampton tug upgrade and maybe extend it to more general electronics on a How it works basis. I want to photograph the install process and maybe some of the test waveforms as well. This is the first time I've done this so its a case of learn as I go. I'm watching the Arduino thread with interest as this is processor equivalent of what I do.
    Julio
    Leading Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hello SeamanCook:
    This topic is exciting ...
    I don't know what to do: do I stay here and follow this post from "Electronize speed controllers" or do I go to the post you want to open about the Southampton Tug?
    What doubts do I have !! ... please help me !!
    Julio😭😭
    SeamanCook
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I intend to start a build blog for my Southampton Tug ESC upgrade, which is progressing well.
    So this will be my last entry here regarding this project.
    I realised that I had not included anything for low battery detect. However, no info was available regarding anything already on the provided PCB.
    So I took the tug to my local pond in Norwich UK and sailed it in windy conditions until the battery went flat.
    As a Newby I found this an informative experience.
    The deckhouse acts as a wonderful windsail and even in forward, steering was a bit chancy.
    The tug seems to lean to port, even though the battery is well to starboard.
    The tyres need to be above the waterline and drain holes may be an idea...
    The motor ESC mod specs for the upgrade look about right, and the chosen compromises look sensible.
    When the battery went flattish, the existing controller detected this and the boat entered a "burp" mode. Demanding any throttle resulted in a couple of seconds on and a couple of seconds off. That was very sensible indeed. It meant the boat could be returned to shore and it was obvious that something had to be done.
    My scratch build dual ESC has been tested and looks good to go.
    So its time to take the deck off.
    SeamanCook
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I caught the allergy from my Uncle.....Seriously, one can buy any common simple ESC, as thenFlet Admiral pointed out to me . I built my first ESC as a learning exercise. However, the new device I am making now for the Southampton Tug simply cannot be bought. The reason is that the Tug does not make the Servo output for the motors available. It's deeply buried in a bit of plastic called a microprocessor. So if one wants separate motor control there are three practical options, as a purchased mixer cannot work.
    1. Fiddle with the various switched devices, free up one line and use that to operate a switching relay to reverse one motor. That gives turning on the spot.
    2. Partly gut the unit. Fit a supplementary receiver and 2 ESC devices. You end up with 2 controllers to handle and a big bill. See the YouTube video on that option. If you throw away all the fitted electronics and rewire you could get back to one controller.
    3. DIY. My approach will give me decent and adjustable motor control in forward and reverse to aid turning and also turning on the spot. Parts cost about a fiver. And if it goes wrong, I can fix it. But I will still only be using the original controller and I do not even have to touch the installed PCB.
    That's a nice simple affordable operating option. I am taking photos as I go and as this is a popular boat there may even be demand for a PCB so others can copy the work.
    You pays your money and takes your choice as to how you spend your time and cash.
    Newby7
    Sub-Lieutenant
    Flag
    Online: 30 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I'm not allergic to spending money.Spending it is easy finding it is the harder part.
    Rick
    hecrowell
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 3 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    I have uploaded information for an ESC for a brushed motor on my NAXOS build blog. I would be happy to move or have it moved by moderator to an ESC blog if it deserves a place within that blog.
    SeamanCook
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thanks, I needed to look at this end of this when he starts to reassemble. He's doing similar to me but spending real money. I'm allergic to that sort of thing.
    I've been asked to post photos of my progress. Apologies for quality. I've started the scratch build and have put this on a copy of the block diagram. If anyone wants a higher quality copy that can be done.
    Martin555
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 19 minutes ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi,
    From what i can remember the Southampton's deck is a push fit and has a Vaseline seal.
    After all screws have been removed just gently pull apart.

It would be nice if you could show us photos as you go along.

I don't know if this will help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEUKIjci-Os

Martin555.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IEUKIjci-Os
    πŸ”—
    ▢️
    If it looks right it probably is.
    SeamanCook
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Oh, an extra detail I'd like to check. Comments welcome. It seems that its usual that if a boat is turning clockwise with R rudder applied, and it is then reversed but the Captain still wants a clockwise turn to continue, the rudder is reversed. In practice, a 2 motor system can do all the work and rudder has only a small effect but in the interests of realism.....I have found that windage on the Tug has much more effect than the rudder can correct in reverse. That is one reason for doing this mod.
    Checking my design it works out that to be realistic needs less bits in my design as I actually save parts needed for this reversal of the rudder.
    Show 39 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info