I intend to start a build blog for my Southampton Tug ESC upgrade, which is progressing well.
So this will be my last entry here regarding this project.
I realised that I had not included anything for low battery detect. However, no info was available regarding anything already on the provided PCB.
So I took the tug to my local pond in Norwich UK and sailed it in windy conditions until the battery went flat.
As a Newby I found this an informative experience.
The deckhouse acts as a wonderful windsail and even in forward, steering was a bit chancy.
The tug seems to lean to port, even though the battery is well to starboard.
The tyres need to be above the waterline and drain holes may be an idea...
The motor ESC mod specs for the upgrade look about right, and the chosen compromises look sensible.
When the battery went flattish, the existing controller detected this and the boat entered a "burp" mode. Demanding any throttle resulted in a couple of seconds on and a couple of seconds off. That was very sensible indeed. It meant the boat could be returned to shore and it was obvious that something had to be done.
My scratch build dual ESC has been tested and looks good to go.
So its time to take the deck off.