• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    suitable brushless motor for a tug ?
    14 Posts ยท 5 Followers ยท 0 Photos ยท 35 Likes
    Began 12 months ago by
    Leading Seaman
    Canada
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 12 months ago by
    Vice Admiral
    United States
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Cashrc
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ suitable brushless motor for a tug ?
    32 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 8 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Good Morning Busted Knuckles. You wont be disaapointed with the ZippKits 650 outrunner. I have 4, 3 in boats, and they all perform wonderfully. My Taucher Wulf 6 is 32 inches long and weighs between 15-16 pounds ballasted. I use a 2 cell lipo and a HobbyWing 30 amp esc, and shes been rock solid.
    Cash

Heres a vid of her running

Login To
    Remove Ads

roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    42 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 49 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi i would check on this forum for experience in and opinions on RC these days. I would not know what to choose either but I believe some are much better than others.

I know when I first used brushless motors i had problems setting up. A well known one refused to accept the cheap 2 channel sets but worked if set up from an FM set first.

I only have 2 boats with brushless motors and have reverted to brushed motors now
    Roy.
    bustedknuckles
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    Flag
    Online: 8 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    I'll likely buy a cheap rig from amazon. I'm having a hard time finding a good value elsewhere.
    roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    42 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi again B..K, I expect you will be buying 2.4G radio. I have never moved away from 27 and 40 Mhtz as I now have nearly 2 dozen radio Tx's and even more rx's.
    When every one went to 2.4 RC the previous RC was going very cheaply. I have some very complex computer Tx's from the 35Mhtz (flying) people.

I just pop in a pair of 40Mhtz crystals and I am ready to go, although the double decoded rx's do not work . I have enough rx's to use instead. It seems that almost all the 35 Mhtz imported radio sets are all changed from 35 Mhtz sets to 40 Mhtz anyway!
    The brushed motors are getting to be in a similar plight.
    I have been using my cheap esc's for 6 or7 years now, (I used to design my own), I have been impressed with the units, all of which work and none have failed.

I have also been starting to use 9 gram servos for operating the rudder. However I think they are designed to be used with 2.4 Ghtz. As soon as a suppressed brushed motor is turned on they do not work, turn the motor off and they work fine.
    regards
    Roy
    roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    43 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi I expected something like that, I have a niece and others who live on and near Vancouver Island.

I am sure you took the right decision etc. Do you have a convenient lake to sail on? I hear there are so many in Canada, I have never been although my wife has.
    Lakes here seem to have been claimed by the fishing fraternity and the rest are municipally owned, down south they are not terribly cooperative either.
    kind regards
    Roy
    bustedknuckles
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    50 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Well, I live in the middle of nowhere, with few options other than the internet. While I do sometimes by cheap chinese, I find that the descriptions of product often vague (if there is one), and build quality is often VERY poor. Long shipping times don't help either. So I prefer to find the best quality value I can.
    roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    47 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi I think I must be a complete cheap skate!

For a similar boat I would buy a 5 pole 550 type brushed motor. About $15 max. Pitman motors are great but expensive, I have 3 or 4 but these were harvested from American computer tape decks before they were scrapped. Quality electric motors last forever!

I currently use incredibly cheap esc's from China, my last purchase cost ยฃ14 (24$) including tax and postage for 5 (five) esc's. So $5 for a speed controller.

Quoted as 10 amps which I do not trust so allow for half that and maximum voltage 8.4 volts, so would allow for 35-40 Watts power and they do not even get warm.

I know there are cries of supporting model shops but I only ever bought 2nd. hand motors from them and other sources were garden sales etc and now on-line.

Perhaps mine is a different view point, but in my early adult and married days I needed to justify the spend on my hobby against family needs. It is different now but the old habit stays embedded in me.

I have over 40 model boats and yachts at home more being built. My last and biggest ever purchase was for ยฃ150 for a complete boat kit but 2nd, hand which I have checked over and it is ยฃ200+ from model shops if you can find one that is.

Sorry it has gone a bit off thread, however it is good that you have found decent retailers, so well done for that. I think they are the ones that should survive.

My eyes were opened in the UK some 50+ years ago when I wanted some stanchions for a boat I was building. I went to Basset-lowke then in Holborn, London.
    They were prepared to sell them to me at ยฃ1 each I needed 26!

On just checking my laptop ยฃ1 then is worth ยฃ27 now. Similar stanchions are still less than a pound even now!

I went off to evening classes and did basic engineering and lathe work! Lesson learned.

Regards
    Roy
    bustedknuckles
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    53 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Thanks guys. Bought the motor, ESC, mount, and connectors for $135CDN. Can't beat that.
    All I need now is a simple 4 channel R/C rig. My preference is for a 2-stick rig rather than the car type.
    And I'll take recommendations for that too!๐Ÿ˜Ž
    LewZ
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    52 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 53 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    I bought four Zippkits Springer tug kits from them. They are a reliable company with great service. (They are also located here in Florida.) As they laser etch plywood I asked them if they had any scrap sheets, they did, and I bought a package from them at a decent price.

Lew
    Florida, USAโœช
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats.org)
    bustedknuckles
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    64 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Thank you both for the replies! Much appreciated.
    I had not heard of Zippkits. And when I went to the site the first thing that pops up is a brushless motor for tugs. AND they indicate the matching esc. Could not be easier.
    Given the price, I can hardly do better.
    Having said that, I have never tried a brushless motor, so this will be an experience.
    I have two 6v nimh which I'll use in series.
    I'd also mention that it has been about 5 years since I did a ship, and the technology seems to have changed rather dramatically in that time....
    Show 4 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy