• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Fundraising for clubs
    7 Posts ยท 4 Followers ยท 2 Photos ยท 17 Likes
    Began 4 months ago by
    Midshipman
    South Africa
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 4 months ago by
    Commander
    United States
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    DWBrinkman
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ Fundraising for clubs
    27 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Rudy,
    Our club is primarily funded by Membership Dues. The dues are $40.00/yr for a "Family" membership (i.e. domestic couple). Our club has an average annual paying membership of approx. 50 paying members. With the exception of the club funded Spring breakfast, and Fall "Dry Dock" meal, we have never turned away somebody from events for non-payment of dues.

We also have had boats and gear donated to the club, mostly from the estates of deceased members but sometimes from people who have simply heard of us. These donations are sold to club members at several events per year, and the funds go into our treasury.

As mentioned, club funds are used for the Spring breakfast meeting, and the Dry Dock year end party. We also use the funds for equipment such as an LCD projector, a tent canopy which is used when we have displays at non club events, funding the club website, and this year to buy and build 2 vac-u-tugs which we intend to make available for youth to use during club events.

We are fortunate to have a good relationship with the City of Edina who let us use a storage cage in the city's park maintenance garage, as well as use of a room for meetings, and also the use of the Hughes Pavilion at the park ponds for our 4 major events each year.

We do have a Commodore, and board members, monthly meetings (the last two had 21 & 29 persons in attendance) where we briefly discuss club business and then open the meeting up to anybody who wants to show a boat or project they are working on, or ask for advice from more seasoned modelers. This part of the meeting has also had members give presentations on battery types and care, soldering techniques, planking process, etc.

Although we are structured to the point that we have a Commodore and board members, monthly scheduled meetings, and events we display at ... It is a pretty laid back club.

I hope this gives you some ideas for your club.

Link to our club website: www.emyc.org

I have attached last months newsletter, and the 2024 Calendar of Events .pdfs

Dave B
    So far my collection resembles "The Island of Misfit Toys". I've picked up several boats that are old builds and have been neglected. I'm giving them the TLC they need, hoping to bring them back to their former glory. Once I get enough practice/ experience I intend to take on a full build.
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Len1
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    24 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Lew, great website. Congratulations to you for all your hard work. I wish I was closer to you but LI is were I am with my family and will not be moving.
    I would like to join your club if you will have me.
    Len
    LEN1
    LewZ
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    29 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 45 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Thanks' for the positive reply! I made that web site many year ago. I am not a Facebook fan. Its like a bucket of spiders. I use once or twice a month to check in on some friends. Much easier and quicker to have a web site and make the related choices, not all that gobbledygook in Facebook. KISMIF. That's me.

Made my first web page back in the mid 1990's written completely in html. Learned about the internet ell before that when the company I worked for was one of about 6-8 sites in the world that had access to it. No pictures or anything fancy, pretty much text only. They were working on "mosaic" for the next step in graphics. Fantastic to see it grow from a simple monochrome screen with a few sentences on it to vivid moving displays we have today.

Lew
    Florida, USA
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats.org)
    hermank
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช Belgium
    29 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Lew z
    what a fantastic website you have made. Definetly there some good ideas for our website.
    I like the list with the participants- scale -sort of boat.
    Are you also on facebook with your club. This is at the moment an hot item. Should we be on facebook or not to try to attract new people who are interested in modelboats.
    Do you have any experience with this matter?
    great to hear from you
    LewZ
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    32 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 45 seconds ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Recently I mentioned the downfall of the previous club (BAEB) here in Seminole, Florida. The BEAB was mostly self funded by membership fees ($US 25 yr).

The park shelter fees per meet, rain or shine, was identical. So that required six months of the club's income.

The rest of the income came from the bank account balance when the club previously had many more members and from regattas which also had entry fees, hobby shop (gift certificates), and mail order suppliers (Loyalhanna donated some radio sets).

There were some club "officers" which many can understand were ๐Ÿ˜”"cheepo's" (not CPO's). As a new member I was drafted to become "Commodore ". After that club sunk on its own "officers" greed and individual goals.

I brought back the SSMBC (in 2012) after about being absent 35 years. Back to no dues but now we had the internet. No one cared about being the leader, so I became the defacto "Coordinator".

So how's the SSMBC funded? We cut one expense by using a different "free" unreserved shelter (no fees). No volunteers killed the regattas, so that income ceased. I pay the internet fees, server, domains, emails, etc. I do all the website work and updates and email, as well as YouTube videos.

I'm not looking for any pats on the back, just happy faces at boat meets. So far this has worked well for the last 10+ years. I'm sure you can extrapolate some funding tips herein.

Sorry Model-Boats.com, this is why I stopped with my financial support. At 80, I hope to continue to keep postings.

Lew
    Florida โ›ฑ๏ธ, USA
    http://ssmbc-fl.org
    http://ssmbc-fl.org
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats.org)
    hermank
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ช Belgium
    42 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Indeed we did in earlier times. We had one of the remaining hobbyshops but due to covid they stopped. We edit every month a clubmagazine and the printer is not charging us the full cost. Our PR service is calling people or companies but it is not very rewarding. When we need wood or something else we try to get the best price and sometimes it helps sometimes not
    Rudy-M
    Midshipman
    ๐Ÿ‡ฟ๐Ÿ‡ฆ South Africa
    42 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Have you ever embarked on fundraisers for your model boat club? If so, what was the result? We are looking to do the same and hope to gain some insight in how to go about it. The funds we intend to raise will be used to improve our local municipal dam.
    Rudy

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy