• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    How do I bend plywood
    15 Posts ยท 10 Followers ยท 2 Photos ยท 71 Likes
    Began 2 months ago by
    Able Seaman
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 2 months ago by
    Lieutenant Commander
    United Kingdom
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    BOATSHED
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ How do I bend plywood
    30 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 16 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Roy
    Thanks for your reply, glad I didn't offend you.
    As far as cleaning brass goes I use this on my classic Rover car on the chrome and it works wonders on all types of metals like brass, copper, aluminium and even stainless steel.
    The price on this box is a bit out of date now I think as when I buy it I usually buy two at a time.
    You can get it at Halfords and most good car accessory shops.
    BOATSHED
    Login To
    Remove Ads

roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    37 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Boatshed no offence taken and I agree it is dodgy stuff. We used to have a club member who used it regularly and we were amazed how pliable the wood became.

Now with H & S being at the forefront,๐Ÿ’ก nobody gets to handle even relatively harmless chemicals, but most man made compounds and liquids harm the environment so just as well. The nastiest thing we have in the house is the oven cleaning kit and I am very careful handling that, gloves on all the time.

I wish I had an effective way of cleaning brass. Tamarind as found in sauces works a bit but is slow and vinegar and lemon juice hardly get going.

regards
    Roy
    BOATSHED
    Lieutenant Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    34 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 16 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi RoyCV,
    Yes I did see your comment on the window cleaner solution. But not everyone would take that into consideration. I was not criticising your comment intentionally, I was just try to make a friendly warning to those who may not have ever handled this liquid before. If they could get hold of Ammonia they may just try using it as it is. It is also not a good liquid to keep in the house if there is children in the house and as you know it's an evil substance if NOT handled properly. I spent 26 years working in dry cleaning using this product in a solution of 70% neat along with Peroxide and several other acids for removing stains on clothing and knowing just how lethal they can be. It was a job I enjoyed and the pressing of the clothing once I had cleaned it. I was saddened when I had to pack the job in. Then a follow up of 17 yeas of bus driving was an awful job, it was heaven when it came to retirement day.

I do apologise if it came over if I was being critical of your post. I wasn't.
    BOATSHED
    Razor1955
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    54 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    The quality of the plywood is also important.
    Back in the day the British Standard was BS1088 WBP - the latter initials standing for "Water and Boil Proof." With this stuff, there should be no delamination using water or normal steam.
    The modern European standard is now EN 636-3, EN 314-2, Class 3. although I don't see it used as often in the thinner sections used by modellers. However, my advice would be to avoid most "Construction plywood" as the surface timbers are often coarse grained and the adhesive is not always water resistant.
    Plywood has had a resurgence thanks to it being used as a substrate in some decorative veneer timber floors and in caravan/RV furniture - but wow hasn't the price gone up!
    Commodore-H
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    66 Views ยท 7 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 18 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Here are some easy suggestions, it shouldn't be a problem at all.

First, plywood generally bends easier in one direction than another, choose the easier one.

For difficult small radius bends, bend it gradually. Wrap plywood around a form and let it stay for a day, You can use straps and/or clamps to help. Start with a larger diameter and each day make it smaller. Keep going till you get it smaller than the final shape. Then it will easily yield to the shape you need.

For thicker material laminate several thin sheets.

Hot water can help, you don't need anything special hot tap water is fine.

For my last build I needed a round gun tub. It is made from three layers of 1/32" plywood wrapped gradually around a tuna can and then let out to final sizes. Stagger the joints for added strength.
    The sure way to succeed is, just try one more time
    roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    64 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Boatshed you are right about the danger of ammonia. If you read my post you will see that I said what it did, not recommending using it. And as I said it is weakly in solution in window cleaner fluid.

To another post, the hot water applied just enough to soak it does not delaminate the ply.
    regards
    Roy
    IanL1
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ New Zealand
    65 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi, I suppose it all depends on the radius. I suggest you build a former that simulate the deck and lay up a few thinner sections and laminate. That way it will fit well on the boat once glue is dried. Hope this helps. Cheers Ian๐Ÿ‘
    Razor1955
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    69 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    What depth of bend are you trying to achieve?

In the past I have always steamed or dampened the ply but on very tight bends I have had to resort to scoring the underside to remove some of the material or using double layers of thinner material with epoxy glues and laminating.

NB Plywood has an odd number of layers and hence has a "grain" and is easier to bend in one direction. Also beware that if it is building grade ply it may have some internal voids that can ruin your bend.
    RonH
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    71 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    I would be careful on using steam or any solution with the plywood as it may warp the outer layer or affect the glue. It also depends on the type of plywood as there is a softwood type and an aircraft type that is hard. I had a springer tug where there is plywood on the bottom of the keel. I used a water proof wood glue that I picked up at a hardware store and used a lot of 1inch rubber bands tho hold it in place. I picked up the rubber bands in a store called Staples๐Ÿ‘
    RonH
    Rowen
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    76 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 6 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    On thin ply, such as hull skins. Have found using a heat gun quite adequate. Heat bend, clamp then reheat๐Ÿ˜Œ l
    Show 5 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy