• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Datan D132F Servo
    13 Posts ยท 4 Followers ยท 11 Photos ยท 24 Likes
    Began 2 years ago by
    Lieutenant
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 1 year ago by
    Admiral
    Canada
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Ronald
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    ๐Ÿ“ Datan D132F Servo
    39 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Greg
    I use two push/pull rods on my rudder control, a left and right. You can see this in the photos I posted earlier. This is particularly important for a sailboat where a rudder servo is being constantly used. This method will have less strain on motor and gears inside the servo.

Ron ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ
    Login To
    Remove Ads

firefighter
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Datan D132F Servo
    42 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 6 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hello Colin,

Thanks for the encouragement. The thing I like about model making in general is the coming across problems and using the brain to work out how overcome them. At my age I consider problem solving is a great way to stave off any dementia that may be lurking on the horizon. Heaven knows I find it difficult to remember what day of the week it is now. I have to ask my wife!

Greg ๐Ÿ‘
    Best regards, Greg
    Colin H
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Datan D132F Servo
    48 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Greg there's no such word as can't in modelling. Difficult or perplexing maybe, but there's always a way to overcome such problems.
    Wish we lived closer as seeing pictures isn't as good as being with the item.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    firefighter
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Datan D132F Servo
    42 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Thank you everyone for your advice. Unfortunately I have mislead you with my photograph of my servo (far right picture). The picture just shows the servo positioned next to the rudder arm and not fixed. The reason it is too close to the rudder is because of the slight tension on the joining rod. What I was trying to show was that with the servo position as far over and away from the rudder arm as in the instruction drawing (far left picture) the black arm on the servo will hit the framework when operated towards the starboard side an not have full movement As mentioned at the beginning of this post apart from the arm that I have installed on the servo spindle I have two others. Would either of them be better to operate the rudder (see servo picture)? Alternatively, as I have not positioned and fitted any of the other electrics yet can I position the servo elsewhere? With no experience of installing servos my logic tells me I can't.

Greg ๐Ÿ‘
    Best regards, Greg
    Ronald
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    ๐Ÿ“ Datan D132F Servo
    49 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Is this your model?

Are those long strips to hold a battery? Is there room near the aft once the battery is (inserted)? Please send me a photo of the battery as it sits here.

What I am thinking since seeing this, and my last response, is to install the rudder servo just aft of the battery. You have room to slide the battery forward to rest just above your universal linkage.

Let's work with this and get the problem solved, but first post a picture with the battery sitting as it should.
    HappyHaggis
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Datan D132F Servo
    61 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 1 year ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    From the angle of the photo it looks like you'll have full left turn but limited right. I'd definitely relocate that servo as there's ample room there to allow that ๐Ÿ™‚
    Scott (Haggis) Scotland
    Ronald
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    ๐Ÿ“ Datan D132F Servo
    51 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Oh my, Oh my! You do not need to install the servo right next to the rudder control arm as seen in your picture.

Please see the photos I sent earlier of various servo mounts.

Do you have any 1/8โ€ or 3/16โ€ ply material?

Do you have a coping saw? A scroll saw? Or Jewelers saw? Any of these will work.

Take your servo and place it on the plywood bottom side down. Using a pencil trace around the servo onto the plywood.

Do you have a 1/8 or 3/16 drill bit? Do you have a drill powered or hand powered?

Remove the servo so you see the pattern, using your drill make a hole on the inside of the corner where the servo pattern was made.

Using your saw, loosen the blade and slip the blade into the hole you just drilled. Then reattach the saw to itโ€™s proper location and tighten the tension of the blade. Cut along the lines you made of the servo pattern.

When done, loosen blade, remove blade from the cut-out. Use a file and sandpaper to remove any wood shavings.

Finally insert your servo to see if it fits snugly. Wires go in first then servo.

If all is well, then use the drill with a 1/16โ€ bit. And make four holes where those half-circles are found on the ends of your servo. (See my photos) Attach your servo.

Once this is done, let me know and where to secure your new servo within the plywood can be determined. Further cutting of the plywood maybe needed or making a base to set the plywood on might be needed. But, do the first part. Then we can go forward.

Oh, one more thing, leave about an Inch on all sides of the plywood from your area you cut out.
    Graham93
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Datan D132F Servo
    66 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 9 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Greg,

Looking at the first picture, the servo is positioned further away from the rudder shaft than you have it shown in your fourth picture. Is there any reason why you canโ€™t move the servo to the left in picture 4 so that the link is then the right length?

While I can see that you have followed the instructions in picture 2 with regard to fixing the servo, I donโ€™t like the idea of gluing the servo in position. You will need to use a glue that holds well. The problem will then be that you will have a serious problem if you ever have to replace the servo.

Graham93
    firefighter
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Datan D132F Servo
    57 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    After yesterday's advice I have been trying to fit the rudder servo in my Aeronaut Diva but I seem to have a problem. I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong as there does not seem to be enough room in the hull to fit the device as shown in the instruction's picture drawing of the hull with the servo fitted. The servo sits on the support okay after having removed the lugs on each side. But when I connect the rod that came with the kit to the servo arm and the rudder it seems that the rod is too long resulting in the position of the servo being pushed up against the hull side and frame which reduces the travel distance of the servo arm to the right when looking from the stern by hitting the hull framework in that location so the rudder would not be able to be completely turned to it's full extent on the starboard side but would have full travel on the port side.

Please can anyone help me out.

Greg ๐Ÿ‘
    Best regards, Greg
    firefighter
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Datan D132F Servo
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Thank you Scott and Graham for the information.

See the requested picture of the location for the servo on the Diva.

(Not a good photo. My phone is rubbish!)

Greg ๐Ÿ‘
    Best regards, Greg
    Show 3 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy