• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Finding Somewhere To Sail?
    33 Posts ยท 10 Followers ยท 0 Photos ยท 105 Likes
    Began 1 year ago by
    Lieutenant
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 1 year ago by
    Warrant Officer
    Canada
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    cdnfurball
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    ๐Ÿ“ Finding Somewhere To Sail?
    45 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Roycv, ya sound like a wise manโ€ฆ. Perhaps years of wisdom. ๐Ÿค“๐Ÿค”
    Donโ€™t get stressed, CAUSE IT !
    Login To
    Remove Ads

roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    55 Views ยท 7 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 37 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    To Cdnfurball, Hi you have made a fundamental error! Just turn up and sail your boat, should anyone say No ask them where it says you can't.
    I agree with not using fishing lakes as there is an element of cross infection but otherwise just ask why they are saying No.
    I am a bit old now and can limp when ever needed!
    I remember on TV a group of motor car apprentices from British Leyland were invited to go to Munich to see the new owners.
    There advice was that if you wanted to do anything (in Germany, been there and know what happens) do not ask, the answer is always No. Just do it and ask back why can't I do it?
    regards
    Roy
    firefighter
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    49 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 6 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hello Peter. thank you for letting me know about the water in Paignton. That's worth a look. It is just a shame I can't find anything closer to home.

Greg ๐Ÿ‘
    Best regards, Greg
    firefighter
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    49 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hello Dave. Very interesting comments you have made. You certainly haven't discouraged me. My comments about display models and dry dock were a bit tongue in cheek. I will sail even if it means filling the bath!๐Ÿ˜

Greg ๐Ÿ‘
    Best regards, Greg
    MouldBuilder
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ Hungary
    57 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 21 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Greg.
    There is a very nice pond at Goodrington beach park in Paignton. In the summer it is used for peddle swans but they are not there until June. The Torbay RC boat club used to be there many years ago. It is quite large and perfect for your needs. I am not sure about permissions but I am sure that I have never seen the RC boat police there. Take a chance and launch. What can they say other thanโ€ hey mate, not allowed them there boats ere mateโ€
    Peter.๐Ÿ˜Š
    I cannot promise to finish one project before starting another. I know, I tried.
    dave976
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    59 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Greg
    I agree with your comments re H&S but we have allowed a culture of blame to thrive with lawyers only too happy to chase any claim. My Club has to prove for our Insurance to be valid, that we have evaluated the risks and record half yearly inspections and any action taken.
    As an ex flyer I agree with you and Colin most scale (non fast racing) models are unlikely to cause injury but if an individual (say a child) trips/falls and lands on your model and it has sharp points (mast, rigging etc) then injury could occur. You could be in a roped off area but still be held liable for the lack of control by the parent or guardian.
    I was not trying to discourage you from using the canal or river ( not a good idea in my opinion) but merely pointing out my own clubs experience. As a sole sailor they may well allow with certain conditions so it might be worth at least making a phone call, they were polite and helpful.
    Don't give up just yet, I'm sure there will be somewhere where you can sail.
    dave
    firefighter
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    60 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Colin I totally agree about health and safety having gone mad. As a fireman we had so many H&S rules we supposed to abide by that if applied there would have been a lot more casualties and a lot less successful rescues if we had followed them all.

Yes, flying is more dangerous than boating. Logic tells you that if you are flying and people come to use the facilities of the park then you stop flying. But I have heard that unfortunately some don't stop and have caused injury which, of course, give the hobby a bad name and contributes to the banning of flying at the park in question.

Now, what could go wrong with boating. You might bump into a duck. Apart from hurting the ducks feelings not much else can go wrong. So I fail to understand why most venues will not allow you to sail or run a boat on their waters.

Greg ๐Ÿ‘
    Best regards, Greg
    Colin H
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    69 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Greg, I used to fly, but gave up as I was crashing more than landing. But I have lived all over the country and always asked the local parks department for permission details before flying.
    So far everywhere I've been has allowed flying, some even allowed ic engined flying, but all allowed hand line flight which I really enjoyed trying to chop the trailing paper ribbon from my opponents plane as we circled side by side.
    And as far as I know planes are far more dangerous than our model boats.
    H and S gone mad.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    firefighter
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    62 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hello Dave. Licences and risk assessments. Call me old fashion but it seems that we can't do anything in case things go wrong. I found out recently that companies like BT and British Gas if called to your property the person who arrives at your residence has to do a risk assessment before they get out of the van. If I go to a canal and fall in and drown surely that is my fault for being stupid in the first place and falling in!๐Ÿ˜

So from what you have said it seems that the river near my home and the Exeter canal may be non-starters then.

I am now down to one venue to check which is, as mentioned in an earlier post on this subject, the pond in the gardens of Exeter University. If, and I'm beginning to believe it will be, not allowed because I don't have the correct bit of paper. That I am likely to commit suicide by drowning. That overhead cables are not at the correct meterage above the ground. That the ducks are not wearing protective clothing then I will be forced to remain in dry dock indefinitely. The boats I have built and yet to build will look love dotted around the house as display models. When I decided at 74 to start the hobbies of RC model boats and RC model aircraft before it was too late for me I didn't even consider the problems I would incur.

I think I will just stick to RC small glider flying in the recreation ground some couple of hundred yards from my house. At least what they call Park Flying is allowed as I have checked with my parish council and they have said that flying is an acceptable recreation. I was shocked and had to ask the man to repeat himself as I thought I had misheard. I was expecting to be told no!!!!

Greg ๐Ÿ‘
    Best regards, Greg
    dave976
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    64 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Greg
    I hear what you are saying re Clubs so understand your reluctance to join a local club.
    My own club welcome all new and prospective members and encourage them as best we can, including allowing them to sail as a visitor for three sailing sessions so they can be satisfied that the lake and company is suitable for their purpose. Club activities consist mainly of sailing our models, helping others and generally putting the world to rights, as well as meeting on a regular basis and enjoying each others company.
    Canals and Rivers are controlled by the Canal and River Trust and I suggest you make contact to see if you require a licence to use their waters. My own club did consider using a canal basin as a club but decided against as we would have had to pay to have a risk assessment before each session and pay a fee to use the water.
    Good luck with finding somewhere safe to sail your model.
    dave976
    Show 23 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy