• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    What Radio do you use?
    26 Posts ยท 17 Followers ยท 9 Photos ยท 89 Likes
    Began 1 year ago by
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    Canada
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 1 year ago by
    Warrant Officer
    United Kingdom
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jimdogge
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ What Radio do you use?
    38 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 month ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Chugalone lots of great advice from the chaps. I have only two transmitters now a FR SKY and a Radiomaster 16 these are all l need both do an excellent job. but do take a little time using the operating protocol.
    Most of the Chaps on our club waters like the Flysky 6 channel.
    they are simple to operate and cover all their needs.
    Good luck stay safe, Jim.
    Login To
    Remove Ads

dave976
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    36 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi chugalone
    I am sure 4 channels will be fine for your model. I would recommend a set with a screen as this will give you lots of useful information. We all have our personal preferences but most of my Club members use FlySky sets as others on this site have already mentioned. They are reasonably priced as are spare receivers. The Tx batteries are dry cells and mine last for at least 2 months with 2 weekly sails. They are simple to set up and you can bind several receivers for your different models. There are some basic advanced features including mixing facilities should you need.
    I have never had a problem with loss of signal provided the batteries are charged and the aerial is above the waterline.
    I appreciate you are over the pond in the USA so hope the FlySky or equivalent sets are available.
    Good hunting
    dave976
    Cashrc
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    43 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I use a Radiomaster 16S for my scale and sail boats, being that itโ€™s multi-protocol and can use recievers from many different manufacturers..so far Iโ€™ve bound and used FrSky, Radiomaster, FlySky and Spektrum recievers with no issues. My transmitter for cars and go fast boats is a Spektrum DX4C. I also have my first computer radio, a Multiplex Cockpit MM, with a 2.4 conversion and a FrSky Taranis QX7 with a multi-protocol module in the module bay. I kept it as a backup when I purchased the Radiomaster, but I might sell it as the Radiomaster has been stellar. I also have another 2.4 โ€œhackโ€ module waiting for a victim.๐Ÿ˜€
    Cash
    chugalone100
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    48 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 14 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thank You dave976:
    The way you explains it it is very understandable.
    Thank You for the advise.
    So, do you think that I will be fine with 4 channels?
    dave976
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    45 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi chugalone100
    You are sailing an Imara tug. It has two motors, so two ESC's required and a rudder servo. It's a diesel tug so no smoke unit required. Sound unit can be wired to come on when the motors are engaged. Navigation lights etc can be switched on when dark on launching.
    I make that three channels required for your radio.
    The Spectrum is designed for advanced flying models for which it has many and varied settings. The specs show few or any that may be of benefit to a land or water based vessel.
    For most hobbyists the standard batteries suggested are more than adequate and Lipo's should be avoided unless you are entering an endurance event.
    You only need one antenna, many 2.4Ghz rx have two mainly to help flying models which can rotate 360deg. Model boats remain in the same horizontal plane. Just keep the aerial above the waterline.
    If you can I suggest you visit a local model Boat club and talk to the members about their radio sets before you make your purchase. There are several manufacturers and whilst all work well some are not the easiest to use for novice users.
    Dave976
    chugalone100
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    56 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Iโ€™m amazed with all the responds and informations you guys have provided.
    On my Imara I would like to have control over combined motors, rudder, smoke unit, sound unit, navigation lights and lights throughout the model. That been said I think that a good choice will be a Spektrum DX8e 8-Channel DSMX Transmitter with an Spektrum 4000mAh LiPo Transmitter DX8 Battery.
    My question is: ?Does the battery comes with a charger, or what will be the best charger I should get? And also: ?Should I have two antennas for safety, and how do I do this?
    Thanks a million for all of your inputs.
    Proverbs 11:14 โ€œ When there is no skillful direction, the people fall, But there is success through many advisers.โ€
    You guys are the many advisers.
    dave976
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    52 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Interesting video showing how to use the FrSky receivers S-bus system to provide redundancy rx control. Looks like he used a Radiomaster TX16 Transmitter using Open Source which is identical to the FrSky system and works with their receivers.
    I have used this system to expand the number of channels up to 16 but in all honesty I struggle to remember what more than five or six control.
    Certainly bound two receivers to the Tx but I would have liked to see the system actually work should the signal be lost from the main Rx.
    As an ex flyer I am well aware of issues with loss of control but in my opinion the main causes are power related, either through operator error (not switch on or uncharged battery), or poor maintenance and failure to properly ground check the model before launching.
    My main concern with this system is the fact that all controls are via the main receiver so any problem with that may prevent the slave receiver from communication via the bus.
    Might be good for model flight where distances are much greater than model boats but not for the novice modeller.
    dave976
    Scratchbuilder
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    56 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Gents.
    I attach some pictures of a few of my sets in regular use.
    The older 27mhz sets languish in the shed gathering dust apart from the Futaba TX I use for the submarine.
    The Digiace set is very old but still functioning as new on the original internal rechargeable batteries,although I will replace them when time allows.
    The Microzone and Planet were relatively cheap but really do a sterling job for my needs are light to handle and have very good range.
    The Trasped-16C was as interesting purchase.
    I took a punt on it and it paid off.
    Saw it on Amazon for ยฃ12.00 NEW including RX.Took 4weeks to arrive from China but itโ€™s brilliant and works a treat.
    I am a great believer in keeping it simple,but effective in practical terms.

Regards Bill.
    Never give up.It will come right in the end.
    mturpin013
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    72 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have 4 sets of Flysky FS-i6x using the extended number of channels (10) and they have been without fault and they are reasonably priced
    Westwind
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    67 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Chugalone100 I use the FrSky radio systems. with this system you can attach two RX8R receivers to each other in such a way as to share there channels giving a maximum of 16 and if one receiver has an issue the second will take over. FrSky calls it redundancy and I think a lot of there receivers have this capability

https://www.frsky-rc.com/product/rx8r-pro/
    Show 16 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy