• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Lead strip alternatives?
    13 Posts ยท 6 Followers ยท 1 Photo ยท 44 Likes
    Began 2 years ago by
    Warrant Officer
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 2 years ago by
    Lieutenant
    United States
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Len1
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ Lead strip alternatives?
    38 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 13 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    As Nickthesteam has suggested using shotgun shot is a way to adjust the ballast you need. I put the dry shot into individual socks that I place in the boat and move them around until I find an optimum weight and location for them. Mark the locations for each sock in the boat and then you can remove them and add in an adhesive to the shot to make it into a brick if you want. If you do add an adhesive into the sock be sure to place it back into the boat in the locations you have marked so it can dry/cure to the shape of the hull. Be sure to put a layer of waxed paper between the sock and the hull to prevent the sock from gluing itself to the hull while it is curing.
    Another nice thing about using socks/bricks is that you can remove them to lighten the boat for transport and then put them back in place when you use the boat. I do this as my tug weights 55 pounds in running trim. If you are concerned with them moving around while under way you can hold them in place with a piece of Velcro.
    I also use Neo magnets and lactating/sealing lips around the removable superstructure. LEN1
    LEN1
    Login To
    Remove Ads

dave976
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    44 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Scott
    In answer to your model digging in at speed this suggests the balance is a bit to far aft. If you can't move items internally then you could try moving ballast at the stern a bit forward or possibly adding a small amount near the keel at the front. If you imagine a see-saw a small amount furthest from the pivot point can lift a much larger weight nearest the opposite side. It can be a fiddly process but if you only sail in calm conditions it is achievable. I assume there is some form of lip on the rear hatch and if not you need to make one. I have used neodymium magnets with several models and they can work well. I agree they are exceptionally strong so you do need to use a fixing method that is strong enough to allow removal without damage. The force is at its maximum in a vertical plane but not as strong in the horizontal plane. I usually try to devise a sliding mechanism that removes the magnet away from the fixing. Or you could have the magnet(s) in a deck fitting that was removeable with a metal plate (not stainless) in the deck surround. I am sure other have devised similar methods. In any case some form of seal will also be required and for plastic vaseline works well. Colin has advised fitting bilge keels which I agree will help stabilise roll and is one of the names I believe you were asking about. Fast planing craft use strakes along the hull to deflect water and warships have a sloped coaming forrard of a hatch to deflect water.
    Please do post how you progress as water ingress is a concern for all sailing modellers.
    dave976
    Nickthesteam
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    49 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Re fridge magnets, they would be ok but those small rare magnets can be a bit too strong and cause damage when trying to get them apart.
    If it don't fit, use a hammer to make it fit....
    figtree7nts
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    60 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 year ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Scott,

Give a look on Amazon or your local pound shop or maybe even a local hobby shop too!

Also, when you add the Ballast place it as close to the center Of the Model as possible!

Add Ballast torwards the Aft end of the Model!

Bring her down till the Black is barely touching the water!

See if that helps!

Cheers,

Ed-
    "Fair winds calm Seas" 73
    figtree7nts
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    60 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Scott,

Peejay's recommendation is right!

I would use these:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnets-Refrigerator-Cylinder-Whiteboard-Miniature/dp/B09
    "Fair winds calm Seas" 73
    Peejay
    Sub-Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    57 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 5 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    For the rear of the hatch, you can use small magnets. Do an internet search to find suppliers. They are strong enough these days that even airplane modelers use them.

The force of the magnet will be strong enough that you can use a strip of rubber at the bottom of the hatch to seal out water intrusion.
    So many ships . . . and so little time . . .
    HappyHaggis
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    63 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi John

Yes she's kept away from open water and used on a small boating pond. She's fairly stable as is though it's only when pushing through a headwind that the stern is a little low. Bow is fine though just trying to work out a way to keep the stern area higher. I might re do the ballast again. Possibly have over done it there. When going slow all is well it's when throttle is increased she wants to dig the stern down. Might try pushing the ballast forward a little more and see how she sits then. Thank you for you're words as it helps with getting this perfect

Regards
    Scott
    Scott (Haggis) Scotland
    johnf
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    62 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Scott,

In addition to the various responses already posted, I must add that your "plastic magic" Revell display model conversion is in all probability a little small for open-water sailing.

I have completed a number of such models which being small are really great for steering completions around the harbour - or on small pools in the park.

However, on larger lakes or on open water, they can definitely be over-powered by any notable wind and\or waves. Thus with a 12-18 inch long converted plastic model even a 5-knot wind may well be too much.

In short, please keep your model for calm conditions and leave the blowy conditions to model yachts or to those with larger powerboats.

If not, please at least ensure you have plenty of build on buoyancy such as cork or polystyrene - - it could well save your carefully built model from a watery grave!!

With best wishes. John๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š
    Colin H
    Fleet Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    75 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Scott, reading this blog my thoughts on reducing roll and giving better stability would be to fit a pair of bilge keels, this will also save having to add extra ballast. Many fishing boats are fitted this way allowing for hauling the catch over the side.
    I hope you find this useful, cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    Nickthesteam
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    78 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Lead free shot from a fishing tackle shop is good, you can mix it with adhesive and make a sort of 'concrete', it makes it nice and easy to apply to awkward to get at areas inside the hull. Re hatch securing, a small hole drilled either side through superstructure and coaming allows pins to be inserted to stop it blowing off.
    If it don't fit, use a hammer to make it fit....
    Show 3 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy