• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    Inga IV sails
    13 Posts ยท 8 Followers ยท 9 Photos ยท 59 Likes
    Began 8 months ago by
    Commander
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 8 months ago by
    Lieutenant
    Canada
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    RossM
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    ๐Ÿ“ Inga IV sails
    30 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 1 hour ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    If you go for the terrylene/dacron, the eyelet holes can be formed with a pointed soldering pencil. I felt this didn't weaken the fabric as much. The melted material somewhat reinforces the edge of the hole. I am going with white nylon eyelets
    Force nothing, waste nothing, leave nothing undone
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Ronald
    Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    ๐Ÿ“ Inga IV sails
    52 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 10 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    For my schooner I used the guidance from Gary Webb he designed and sails several sailing boats and has a world wide following. His videos are on YouTube and is approachable via email.

My wife made my cotton poplin sails for the schooner after following Garyโ€™s tutorial.

Last two photos are one of Garyโ€™s builds.
    roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Inga IV sails
    42 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 49 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Flaxybuck, agree entirely, I also favour the jackline closely held against the back of the mast. I found an easy way to do this, also using 1mm carbon fibre rod.
    I used some very small split pins about 1cm long. Pre-drill mast for a tight fit and use a glue to keep them in place. When drilling try and keep them in line but it is not critical.

I use dress maker hooks spread open to less than 1cm. Sew them in place evenly up the sail making sure they do not clash with the split pins position on the mast. If using Mylar film or some man made fbres then superglue works well.

The rod should slide easily through the heads of the split pins, and hook the dressmaker connectors through the rod. Retrieving the rod completely releases the sails.

For the older prototype sailing boats, you may need mast hoops.
    Mast hoops are easy to make from brass hard wire but anneal it first, ie run a length of it through the flame to red hot and quench in water. Wind the wire around appropriate dowel as many times you need hoops and the wire will stay in place and not spring to a larger diameter.

The diameter of the hoop should be 25% greater than the mast diameter. After some time the wire will regain its' hardness.

Use some Xuron cutters to cut into loops, these give a clean cut and then solder the joints and when cleaned up paint or spray mid brown.
    Each loop needs to be sewn to the sail.

I have done this a few times now.

Regards
    Roy
    Rogal118
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Inga IV sails
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi flaxbybuck, the last sentence seems to fit with my way of thinking.
    Roger
    jumpugly
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ Inga IV sails
    47 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 20 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Roy nailed it! ๐Ÿ˜Š
    But, must admit that I've been known to butcher an old cotton dress shirt from time to time for a couple of pond yachts. ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚
    flaxbybuck
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Inga IV sails
    44 Views ยท 8 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 19 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Sail making is not so difficult, but first you need to decide what you want to achieve.
    If you are looking for total replication of the real thing then you need to study plans and photographs to determine the features you wish to replicate. Some will be too small to bother with whilst others might be a notable feature that you feel should be done.
    On the other hand you may choose to dispense with complete realism for a more practical solution that will enable you to sail the yacht without undue difficulty. This approach might involve just a single sail servo that operates all the sails.
    You might opt for an 'in-between' solution that couples the most important features with ease of operation.
    The bottom line is - who do you want to satisfy ? If it is yourself then you have free reign to do whatever works for you, and whatever you feel is OK. ๐Ÿ˜‰
    roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Inga IV sails
    45 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 49 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Chris I went to Nylet some 30+ years ago now for advice and was treated very well. Whilst listening to what must be oft repeated info, I watched a set of panelled sails being made at amazing speed.

I bought a lot of bits and still have some left in small packets. If you buy the eyelets these look neat if fitted onto matching washers.
    You can also get a suitable size punch to form the rivet / eyelet through the sail onto the washer.

Not cheap as you have to pay for quality.
    Roy
    AlessandroSPQR
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฎ๐Ÿ‡น Italy
    ๐Ÿ“ Inga IV sails
    48 Views ยท 6 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 4 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hello Roy and hello Rogal, greetings to all modelers.

Well Roy wrote a great post.
    If I had been able to read it a few years ago, your information would have been invaluable to me and I would have also asked you other specific questions.

I also had to deal with the sail problem. I will talk about it shortly while continuing to illustrate the model. Your opinion on the matter, even a critical one, would still be appreciated.

I asked many model sites on YouTube what type of material they used. My need was twofold: I had to use a fabric that was not too modern to respect the historicity of the model but, at the same time, functional for real sailing.
    For a previous RC model I didn't have too many problems because the sails were there but they didn't have a real function, only aesthetic.
    Rogal118
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Inga IV sails
    50 Views ยท 7 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks for that Roycv, had to do a bit of surfing though!. Bowsie??see photo1
    Also the photo I used, was as I bought her, she has new bow and stern railings plus Iโ€™ve rubbed down and re sprayed the hull and revarnished the main cabin.
    Photo 2 as she is now
    Roger
    ChrisG
    Commander
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ Inga IV sails
    46 Views ยท 4 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 6 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello Rogal18,
    I would agree roycv, is a fount of so much relevant knowledge it is amazing and pointing you in the direction of Nylet is to be commended. I would like to know half of what Frank Parsons has forgotten about sails and rigs.
    I spoke to him recently about my Inga and sails and was astounded at the lead times which drift into months, they are so busy so put your order in early.
    Like you I am going to enlist the "boss" for help on this bit of the project but unlike you I have a long way to go yet to worry about sails and rig.
    I will be following your progress with interest, we might be able to start a fleet of Inga`s on this site soon.
    Best regards ChrisG
    Show 3 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy