• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login To
    Remove Ads
    Login To
    Remove Ads

Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links
    XT60 CONNECTORS
    21 Posts ยท 15 Followers ยท 8 Photos ยท 103 Likes
    Began 1 year ago by
    Warrant Officer
    United Kingdom
    Follow This Thread
    Not currently following
    > Click to follow
    Latest Post 6 months ago by
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Spain
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    ARL58
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ‡ช๐Ÿ‡ธ Spain
    ๐Ÿ“ XT60 CONNECTORS
    34 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 11 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Although this thread is a bit old, well, I may have a small contribution to it.
    Long time ago, I came to the same conclusion tan most mates, and I settled on XT-60. I use them whenever supply voltage is between 6 and 24 V, including my radio gear (Iโ€™m also a ham radio operator and tinkerer)
    However, soldering them was not easy at first. After spoiling some of them, I came to the same procedure recommended by jonhnf and others:
    1.- Always solder connectors mated. I've found pretty convenient to hold them in a mini vise.
    2.- I always use 60Pb/40Sn solder, with 3-3.5% core rosin flux. I do a lot of electronics tinkering, including SMD hand soldering, and I never use Pb-free solder.
    3.- I first tin the wire, and check that the tinned end fits in the pocket.
    4.-Then I tin the pocket. When solder is melted, I quickly insert the tinned end of the wire while keeping the soldering iron in in good contact with wire and pocket. If you feel that there is not enough solder, add more.
    5.- Apply some traction to the wire when the joint is cool. Sometimes you get a โ€œdry jointโ€ if not enough heat was applied.
    6.- Repeat the same procedure with the other wire.
    A closing note: Currently, I settled on subtype XT60-H. No need to deal with heath-shrink tube, resulting in a neater job!
    Good luck!
    รngel RODRรGUEZ, EA4HCN
    Login To
    Remove Ads

RodC
    Lieutenant
    ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ Canada
    ๐Ÿ“ XT60 CONNECTORS
    46 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    the XT60 bullet connectors are rated 60AMP however I no longer run fast electrics so am content with DEANS which are rated 25AMPS (50A burst). There is also a mini-Deans suitable for water pump, audio & lighting wiring inside.
    I hav been a devotee of WELLER soldering irons since age 18(now 75yo). I recently bought a WELLER iron on Amazon which has an adjustable power knob & with the correct solder it handles large joints just fine. The identical iron aimed at the Canadian market the model # ends in CUL which is certified for use in Canada & its 3x the price of the USA/MEX unit
    NickD
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ XT60 CONNECTORS
    53 Views ยท 1 Like
    Flag
    Online: 16 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Thanks for all the answer/suggestions. I have a decent soldering station, therefore first step is to purchase some decent 60/40 solder lower temp like 183ยฐc and try again........๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
    LewZ
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ XT60 CONNECTORS
    50 Views ยท 2 Likes
    Flag
    Online: Today!
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    The XT60 connectors are a giant step forward in improvement over the Tamiya connectors. I came across them when my new RC 1/16 scale tank had an XT60 connector on the tank, battery, and charger. Unfortunately, I have a lot of RC tanks/armor, boats, and chargers with the Tamiya connectors installed. Too many to change now, o I made some Tamiya to XT60 adapters.

About the soldering irons, the more expensive ones seems to have a higher quality metal tip on the iron. I see no deterioration at all. The "cheap-O's" tips don't last long and seem to build up a coating that does not transfer heat well unless scraped or cleaned. This possibly could be the problem with melting the insulators on connectors. Food for thought.

Lew
    Florida , USA

The attached link is the soldering station I had purchased on Amazon. It is no longer available, but this will give you an idea of what I found to be a great soldering problem solver.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08DXHQXW8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?i
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats.org)
    roycv
    Rear Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ XT60 CONNECTORS
    52 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 26 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    I nearly bought some of these connectors as the usual white ones can be unreliable, but the number of batteries i have made it impractical.

Last year I bought a similar soldering iron with a temp. read out, excellent soldering iron. I wanted one like my son has and I had tried it and liked it. There were many for sale and so I found one on ebay that also included 'make me an offer'. So I took 10% off and that is what I got it for . I think about ยฃ28 used it ever since.

However for large items like soldering battery contacts I have a large 75 watt one which has a large mass soldering head.
    I never throw away my duff Nicads, I put them to one side and when there are enough I take them apart and find the still working cells, test for discharge rate and then solder them together as a new battery.

Roy
    LewZ
    Commodore
    ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ United States
    ๐Ÿ“ XT60 CONNECTORS
    62 Views ยท 7 Likes
    Flag
    Online: Today!
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    In addition to the other excellent suggestions, I feel a good quality soldering iron is a partner to good soldering. After many years of using the cheap soldering irons, about two years ago I bought one of the nicer temperature controlled iron for about $50 U. S. Worth the cost.

Lew
    Florida, USA ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
    Lew Zee (LewsModelBoats.org)
    MouldBuilder
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ญ๐Ÿ‡บ Hungary
    ๐Ÿ“ XT60 CONNECTORS
    64 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 21 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I am with you Bill and agree with most of the posts regarding these connectors. There is one suggestion though that I would never do and that is solder a connector whilst connected to the battery unless it was the battery terminal that I was soldering.๐Ÿ˜ƒ
    I cannot promise to finish one project before starting another. I know, I tried.
    Scratchbuilder
    Vice Admiral
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ XT60 CONNECTORS
    66 Views ยท 3 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I agree with most of the posting,especially regarding a good flux.
    I use what is shown in the attached photo. BAKERS paste.
    Very old but great stuff.
    Take care all.
    Regards
    Bill.
    Never give up.It will come right in the end.
    dave976
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ XT60 CONNECTORS
    70 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    Hi Nick
    I agree with most of the previous replies. I have made many such connections over the years and always use a good flux paste and NOT lead free solder as that requires too high a temperature. I flux and tin the connector and flux and tin or re-tin any leads that are already tinned to ensure any lead free solder is reduced (you can buy low melt solder to do the job but it costs). I use a temperature controlled iron set to 400+deg and hold the connector and wire with wooden clothes pegs ( or any similar mounting). Heat the wire and put with the iron to the connector until the solder flows ( you may need to add more solder) then remove the iron and leave to cool. As others have said finish off by cleaning (IPA) and push the heat shrink cover over the joint and seal.
    The most important part in the process is the flux as this helps the solder flow quickly and as a result reduces the time required to apply the heat
    Most batteries are supplied with the connector pre attached. Should it be of a different type to your requirements I would either make up your own conversion lead or buy an adapter. Soldering live wires connected to a battery (especially a LiPo or similar) is high risk and is best left to the experts.
    dave976
    flaxbybuck
    Captain
    ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง United Kingdom
    ๐Ÿ“ XT60 CONNECTORS
    68 Views ยท 5 Likes
    Flag
    Online: 18 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ๐Ÿ’ต Gift a Membership
    From what has been said the most important things are:
    1. Ensure all surfaces are chemically clean
    2. Join the XT male and female connectors together
    3. Pre-tin the wire end and the connector
    4. Use a 100Amp soldering iron when making the final soldered connection.
    Good luck
    ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Show 11 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy