• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    6m Romanza
    by ChrisG ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Chief Petty Officer 1st Class)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    8 Posts 7 Replies 12 Photos 7 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    tiggy_cat
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ 6m Romanza
    Flag
    Online: 4 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    The wooden hull , currently dubbed Terra Incognito already has a part deck ready to fit. and the parts for a mast set aside. It is a work in progress with my other wooden 6 m which is a Revival design, again a refugee from Ebay
    ChrisG
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ“ 6m Romanza
    Flag
    Online: 5 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    If you get fed up with the wooden planked Hull I would be delighted to buy it.๐Ÿ‘
    All the photos help a great deal and I thank you very much.
    Regards ChrisG
    tiggy_cat
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ 6m Romanza
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I recently visited the friend who moulded my Romanza as he churns out boats like no one's business. He offered to help me with an A class boat that I had bought incomplete via Ebay. Cut a long story short, he liked the hull I had and offered to swap it for a pretty ready to fit out A class Gunboat hull. Part of the deal was that he would provide a copy of the designers plan for it, which he has done. Looking at the lines, while I know the principle of getting from them to a hull, don't think I could do it on my own. Just as an aside, I attach some pics of the wooden 6 m hull that I took pity on from Ebay recently. No idea of the design, but it is beautifully planked. It will have to wait a while but will get finished.
    ChrisG
    ๐Ÿ“ 6m Romanza
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Thanks for that, it really does help. I think it is quite a complex stern and the plan is, for a inexperienced builder basic. The first few planks fitted do tend to be crucial for the shape of the hull hence my hesitation. Seeing that photo you have sent me makes it a lot clearer.
    I might well start a build blog but I will make sure it is going along the right lines before posting. Egg on the face springs to mind.๐Ÿ˜‹
    Regards ChrisG
    tiggy_cat
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ 6m Romanza
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have a few pics of other Romanzas. This is the only one showing the stern clearly. Wood built boat that appeared on the 6m For Sale page a couple of years ago. Might be of some help? Going back to my clubmates who did the blog. there is mention of their concerns that they had got the stern right. The "cheeky twins" sailed well but the owners lost a bit of interest in the class so they got mothballed for a while. They have sailed again this year along with mine. The twosome have done some work on the original mould's stern area, but I can't see them making revised hulls. Too much work gone into the originals. The mould which mine came from is still around should the planked version not work out.
    ChrisG
    ๐Ÿ“ 6m Romanza
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hello
    Thanks for the interest and I think your 6m looks a treat and I love it in red. I have decided rightly or wrongly to build plank on frame is I find it enjoyable and I love traditional building methods. I have all of the shadows cut and fitted to the building board ready for planking but was hoping to actually see the real thing before biting the bullet and starting.
    The 6m is a weird shape when looking at the shadows and despite reading the posts on sixmetresailing website and studying the photos in the "how to plank hulls" feature I am doing lots of thinking prior to starting.
    I have built several planked hulls and during lockdown made several display `half hull` J class models for family gifts but this model has a very strange stern section.
    I will probably postpone the planking until Santa has been and things return to normal, what`s normal these days?
    Regards ChrisG
    tiggy_cat
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ 6m Romanza
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Have you had a look on the 6 metre web site? There is a blog of two of my club mates making a plug and ultimately 2 carbon hulls for a Romanza. I believe there is also a generic " how too plank hulls" feature of there. My Romanza, bought last year ( see pics), is carbon fibre moulded by a friend of mine and built by a friend of his!

http://sixmetresailing.weebly.com/
    http://sixmetresailing.weebly.com/
    ๐Ÿ”—
    ChrisG
    ๐Ÿ“ 6m Romanza
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I live near Nottingham and wonder if anybody near me has built or owns a Romanza 6m I could look at. I have the plan and have cut and fitted the frames to the building board. I also have some lovely cedar planks from the cedar strip co. but I am hesitant about starting the build before actually seeing one up close.
    After checking the weather yesterday for reasonable sailing conditions I drove to Bournville model boat club in Birmingham who had announced 6m racing on Sunday morning, I had not factored in ice and was dissapointed to see ducks walking around on the ice when I got there, needless to say no sailing. So I had a 130 mile drive including through central Birmingham to take the dog for a walk. Needless to say the boss was not impressed when I got home and I didn`t enjoy driving back in the blizzard.
    Any help would be appreciated Regards ChrisG

As a P.S. to this tale I received in the post yesterday 17/12/2021 a PCN from Birmingham C.C. informing me that I had infringed the Birmingham clean air zone and owed them ยฃ120 or ยฃ60 if paid quickly, bless them !!!!
    From past experience I have learned that it is not worth contesting these things, pay up and shut up.
    The annoying thing is that with the exception of London I did not know any other city in the country imposed this, and chaps watch out there are several, if you are driving anywhere it is worth checking as I believe most SatNavs don`t pick this up when route planning.
    You can of course avoid this fine by paying ยฃ8 in advance and then contaminate as many people as you wish. I wondered why the road was so damn quiet on a busy pre Christmas Sunday.
    I would like to take this opportunity on a lighter note to wish you all a Very Merry Christmas and a healthy 2022.

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info