• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Hobby Engine Factory Tug Motors
    by PittsfieldPete πŸ‡ΊπŸ‡Έ ( Petty Officer 1st Class)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    4 Posts 3 Replies 0 Photos 1 Like
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    jelley_baby
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    πŸ“ Hobby Engine Factory Tug Motors
    Flag
    Online: 11 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi I have just read your post about your tug, I am one of those who modified mine to two new motors:-
    A. Because the original gear box nylon pinion gears split and there was no way that one could get them to fix securely back on to the motor shaft, plus the fact that when initially refitted they would no longer mesh and if the motors stopped at the wrong point they would not restart they just jammed.
    B. I wanted to make the tug more manoeuvrable so fitted separate speed controllers to each motor enabling me to run one motor forward and one in reverse this with suitable rudder positioning allows the tug to rotate on its axis with very little forward or reverse motion.
    C. I was able to use a 6v 4Ah Gel type battery which gives a much greater runtime.

As to the old gearbox I think that because the gears were split it was disposed of. Somewhere in my harbour here there should be some photo’s of the conversion. I am now using speed 300 motors with a 2.5:1 reduction position much further forward in the hull an I made extension shafts to the original fitted ones, and it all works.

Hope this helps and perhaps explained the need to change the original setup. Graham
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 9 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi, Doug.

I’ve been plugging away at some of the work that doesn’t call for really good eyesight, such as stripping off the β€œRichardson” name & repainting here & there. I still can’t see well enough to work on the microscopic circuit board modifications. The last of the parts that I ordered arrived last Thursday so everything is finally on hand. I hope the infection goes away for good soon & stays away. it’s really discouraging.

Fingers crossed for better days.

Pete
    β€œWork & play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions”. Mark Twain American Humorist & Author 1835 - 1910
    RNinMunich
    Fleet Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 8 hours ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Pete, How's the rest of the of upgrade going?
    Cheers, Doug 😎
    Young at heart - slightly older in other places πŸ˜‰ Cheers Doug
    PittsfieldPete
    Petty Officer 1st Class
    Flag
    Online: 9 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hello:

I have a Hobby Engine β€œpremium” 2.4GHz β€œRichardson” tug. This boat is identical mechanically to the β€œSouthampton” tug. I’ve read many posts on the forum having to do with replacing the factory-installed motor/gearbox unit with two separate motors mounted side by side. Personally I’m happy with the factory drive setup; it’s quite powerful & it runs smoothly. The reduction gearing is a bit noisy, but my boat is new & will likely quiet down with use.

I have two requests for those who have removed the factory drive unit & replaced it with separate motors:

1. If you’ve still got your factory drive unit & have taken it apart out of curiosity, if possible will you please post photos of the internal parts? I’m interested in seeing what’s inside the housing & how the gearing is set up.

2. Along the same vein, I’d like to acquire a spare factory drive to have on hand, just in case. If you have a complete, working drive unit that you’d consider offering for sale, please send a PM to me & let me know what you would want for a price.

Thanks very much.
    Pete
    β€œWork & play are words used to describe the same thing under differing conditions”. Mark Twain American Humorist & Author 1835 - 1910

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info