• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Mclaren Clockwork Submarines U50
    by mactin ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    7 Posts 6 Replies 6 Photos 11 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ“ Mclaren Clockwork Submarines U50
    Flag
    Online: 18 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "...
    I dare say that with the necessary computer skills it probably would be easier,however it would be quite difficult for me to hold cardboard templates against a monitor screen. The whole ethos of what I do is somewhat Luddite in nature,to use basic tools,free materials and as little technology as possible...."

I'm not sure where the cardboard template comes in? if you want to put it into a computer you use a scanner - if you want to take it out you use a printer. They are usually the same machine...

I'm not dissimilar to a Luddite - the KK EeZeBilt sites are all about making things from raw materials and using household detritus to create fittings. But computers are just another tool - and can be as basic as you like. I still lament the passing of DOS, because I felt that you should understand how tools work before you use them, and Windows made it impossible to know where all the bits were going...

One advantage of computing technology is communication. You are illustrating this at the moment. All I was thinking was that your skills, experience and work could reach a much wider group of people. There are, for instance, kids in Australia building EeZeBilts because the data to do so is on the web: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAHJbJieV0o
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aAHJbJieV0o
    ๐Ÿ”—
    Riley's Cresta Boat.mov
    โ–ถ๏ธ
    Colin H
    Lieutenant Commander
    Flag
    Online: 49 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Well said sir, I wholeheartedly agree, I always try to use free stuff or at least recycle into my models. I only wish I had your talent so that I could do away with the technology I use, especially when it keeps failing because the world expects the latest updates which causes my old tech to fail.
    Still no excuse, I just don't have your superb skill set.
    Keep it up shipmate.
    Cheers Colin.
    Fair winds and calm waters, COLIN.
    mactin
    Chief Petty Officer 2nd Class
    Flag
    Online: 2 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I dare say that with the necessary computer skills it probably would be easier,however it would be quite difficult for me to hold cardboard templates against a monitor screen. The whole ethos of what I do is somewhat Luddite in nature,to use basic tools,free materials and as little technology as possible. As we spiral towards a total reliability on technology and computers I want to demonstrate what can be achieved with basic inexpensive stuff that most people throw away. Am I living in the past? dreaming of days when things were simpler? absolutely,I exhibited at Makers Fair in Newcastle in 2018, of over 300 other stalls there was only a hand full of us that actually made anything, everything else was technology based and made in China.
    Cheers.
    DodgyGeezer
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 18 minutes ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    "..yes, drawings are much easier to work with as opposed to cad.."

I can't see that. I haven't got the draftsmanship skill to create the drawings we see in the pictures - but I could easily reproduce them with a CAD package (though it would take a bit of time!).

And the nice thing about the CAD drawing is that it is infinitely reproducible, and easy to publish on the Web, so that the information in the drawings I make are not lost when I disappear. Have you thought of publishing your plans on a web site? I'm sure that a lot of people would be interested, and there are so few resources for would-be tinsmiths available....
    mactin
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    yes, drawings are much easier to work with as opposed to cad they are not formal engineering drawings in the traditional sense but more like a" Kiel Kraft plans" type shorthand showing all the bits on one page.
    ukengineman
    Able Seaman
    Flag
    Online: 2 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I always enjoy your clockwork submarine projects, they are so different from the usual surface boats constructed from wood most often seen. Do you also prepare your own working drawings?
    mactin
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Ahoy Mateys, U50 under construction. its got twin contra rotating props. I made the chassis for the gearbox and motor from an old gas fire that some kind person dumped at the end of my street.I don't mind anything metal but I can do without the mattresses! Cheers.

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info