• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Please help identifying old model ships
    by Floyer92 πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§ ( Recruit)
    πŸ“£

Click To
    Follow
    4 Posts 3 Replies 13 Photos 13 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Nerys
    Admiral
    πŸ“ Please help identifying old model ships
    Flag
    Online: 13 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi Adam, I know far more about real ships than models, but my guess is that they are most probably scratch built. However, all the kit manufacturers have made kits of tugs, so these may well be from kits. Somebody else on here may well recognise them. 'Cervia' was the last tug built for Ship Towage in 1946 and I think there is a kit still being made.
    On a personal note. with a degree of name dropping, the MD of Ship Towage, was the commodore of our local yacht club and I sometimes sailed with him, racing his Dragon class yacht, 'Hai Lung', that would have been in the 1950's. About twenty years later, I found 'Hai Lung' abandoned in a boatyard in Faversham. I bought her and gave her a complete restoration.

Cheers, Nerys
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Floyer92
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 28 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Thankyou very much Nerys, spot on! I knew id come to the right place. In terms of the model, would there have been a particular maker or was it make it up yourself at home sort of thing? These will be for sale in the near future i am just trying to get them appraised properly and hopefuly find a good
    Home for them. Stunning things to look at.
    Regards Adam
    Nerys
    Admiral
    Flag
    Online: 13 seconds ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    The photographs are mainly of a steam tug called 'Dragon' and a couple of photos of 'Giant'. The funnel markings of both tugs are that of William Watkins, who were major tug operators on the Thames. In 1950, they amalgamated with two other companies to form Ship Towage London Ltd. Their tugs would always be based at Gravesend ready to assist shipping going to any of the docks. I talk of a time past when London was a major port and The Royal Group, The Surrey Commercial, The India group and Tilbury were all huge groups of docks swarming in ships loading and unloading. One of their former tugs, the 'Cervia' is undergoing restoration in Ramsgate.
    When the winds before the rain, soon you may make sail again, but when the rain's before the wind, tops'l sheets and halyards mind
    Floyer92
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 28 days ago
    😊 View Profile
    πŸ’¬ Send PM
    Hi guys, only my second post on this site, i pop on now and then when i come across boats. I have just acquired these 2 models and im just after some advice on what they might be, how old they are and what their value could be.

The pictures aren't the best and i can provide more if needed.

The red one is like solid wood build up and shaped and has some electrics inside.

The green one had a stuart turner twin 10v live steam engine (still have it just removed). It is fibreglass hull. Pringles tube is there for size reference.

Any help is much appreciated.
    Many thanks Adam

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info