• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Slec Fairey Huntress
    by DorsetSteve ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Recruit)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    15 Posts 14 Replies 1 Photo 26 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    Derek 151
    Petty Officer 2nd Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Slec Fairey Huntress
    Flag
    Online: 1 day ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I built the larger Huntress before SLEC brought it out as a kit. I fitted a brushless motor and used Lipos as nothing else would have given scale performance. I sold it on some time ago. Some of the full size boats were used for offshore racing and if you do a search for Fairey boats you will get lots of useful information.
    Another site that I have used quite a lot is hobbyking.com who are mainly aircraft orientated but I have found their brushless motors etc., pretty good.๐Ÿ‘
    ChrisF
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    Online: 7 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    One of the reasons I like brushless is because they are so well engineered!

If you haven't got one already get a decent balance charger for the Lipos. It will charge your NiMh etc. as well.

Will watch your build with interest.

Chris
    Building 6 Faireys at a scale of 1:12 and another in the pipeline!
    DorsetSteve
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Mine are Nimh I just call them all nicads! ๐Ÿ˜€
    But only 7.2vโ€ฆ.so Iโ€™ve decided to bite the bullet and go 3s Lipo and brushlessโ€ฆ Iโ€™ll go to Slec and get the motor and controller they have for it.
    Will make a start on it in next few days, looks a very good kit. Thanks all.
    dave976
    Lieutenant
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    ChrisF
    I disposed of my NiCads some years ago when they expired.
    NiMhs provide a viable alternative and are more readily available and are more environmentally friendly.
    Yes you probably can find suppliers but I suspect the cost would discourage most.

Steve
    If you are set on using Brushed and NiMh then the 600 should work but in my experience they run hot and will flatten a NiMh in a short period if run at speed and in a weedy lake.
    There are many examples of similar sized models on this site and the Harbour section sometimes contains details of the motor/battery/ESC and prop set up. I suggest you look and see what you can find. If you need more details send a PM to the member and ask.
    Good hunting
    Dave
    ChrisF
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    If you've already got them and they still work then why not?

Not that you'd want to but someone on another thread said you could still get them!

Edit: Yep, just looked on EBay and plenty there. I see that the legislation does allow for certain exemptions but I'm surprised they are available on the open market.
    Philip C
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 5 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Did not realise people still used nicads?
    ๐Ÿ‘Ž
    ChrisF
    Warrant Officer
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi Steve

I was going to suggest as per the others i.e. use your batteries with a brushless motor but if you want to go brushed then something like the MFA 540 should fit the bill. Attached is from the Component Shop. I always reckon you need around 10k. RPM to get decent planing performance.

That's the 34" kit isn't it and if so the extra weight of batteries other than LiPos shouldn't be too much of an issue.

I don't know of any other builders of that kit on the forums and so it is unlikely that you will find anyone who has gone brushed so there is an element of suck it and see.

Chris
    Madwelshman
    Midshipman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    It wasn't taken that you were questioning the designers judgement etc.

Like I say, if it was me and i already had some batteries, I would go for a brushless motor and suitable speed controller, that if you found that your batteries didn't give the performance or duration you wanted, you could upgrade to lipos at a later date if you wanted to, plus the cost would be spread out then too.

Will
    Precedent Perkasa MTB 49 1/2" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 46" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 42" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 36" Aerokits Sea Commander 34" Aerokits Sea Rover 29 1/2" SLEC Fairey Huntress 23"
    DorsetSteve
    Recruit
    Flag
    Online: 3 months ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Yes I appreciate that, I wasnโ€™t questioning the knowledge of the builder/designer in any way, just wondered if anyone had used a brushed motor and nicads instead of the suggested brushless and lipos.
    Iโ€™ll probably price up the brushless and brushed alternatives and go from there. I have nicads from my car and truck rc days. I guess the weight of the nicad/nimh could be an issue compared to the lipos. Thanks.
    Madwelshman
    Midshipman
    Flag
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    If you have the batteries, then personally, I'd be seriously tempted to go the brushless route, but not running lipos.
    As I said before, you would still have to buy an ESC, but if you got them both from eBay or Banggood, they'd probably cost you ยฃ50 or less for both items.
    That would also give you the option of changing to lipos in the future if you decided to.

Will
    Precedent Perkasa MTB 49 1/2" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 46" Veron Fairey Huntsman 28 42" Precedent Fairey Huntsman 36" Aerokits Sea Commander 34" Aerokits Sea Rover 29 1/2" SLEC Fairey Huntress 23"
    Show 5 More Posts

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info