• Domain Fees
  • Security Certificates
  • iOS & Android App Fees
  • Website Hosting
  • Fast Servers
  • Data Backups
  • Upkeep & Maintenance
  • Administration Costs

Without your support the website wouldn't be what it is today.

Please consider donating towards these fees to help keep us afloat.

Read more

All donations are securely managed through PayPal. Amounts donated are not published online.

Many thanks for your kind support
  • Join Us On Social Media!
    Download The App!

Login to Remove Ads
    Model Boats Website
    Model Boats Website
    Home
    Forum
    Build Blogs
    Media Gallery
    Boat Clubs & Lakes
    Events
    Boat Harbour
    How-To Articles
    Plans & Docs
    Useful Links

Followers
    Motors
    by Maverick ๐Ÿ‡ฌ๐Ÿ‡ง ( Master Seaman)
    ๐Ÿ“ฃ

Click To
    Follow
    5 Posts 4 Replies 0 Photos 3 Likes
    ( Newest Posts Shown First )
    ChrisF
    Warrant Officer
    ๐Ÿ“ Motors
    Flag
    Online: 12 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I gave you an answer in your other motors thread (!) with two examples of motors I'd use, their specification and where to get them from. They both have a max. rating of 80amp. so yes 120amp ESC would fit the bill as it's good to have some head room.

If you find something better let us know.
    Building 6 Faireys at a scale of 1:12 and another in the pipeline!
    roycv
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Motors
    Flag
    Online: 1 second ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi all, if you wonder why domestic / AC mains equipment is also quoted as KVA, there is a reason. Many will know about how an electric motor works with a coil of wire moving in a magnetic field causes the build up of a magnetic field in the coil. Everything takes time to happen so it lags a bit.

Some of you will also know about capacitors charging up and of course discharging and they will be slow to discharge. So in one case the voltage is slow to build up in the coil of wire and the current is slow to discharge from a capacitor.

All circuits have a capacitive and an inductive (Inductance is the build up of the magnetic field in the coil of wire and also a measurement of an induced magnetic field) effect.
    DC circuits are mainly resistive.

If you look at many of the 'works' of domestic machines (white goods) they come with a fair number of components. So the AC waveform has to be thought of as voltage going up and down at 50 cycles per sec (or Hertz), as well as current and they are more often than not out of phase.

So maximum current (A) multiplied by maximum volts (V) is given as VA the K just multiplies it up by a thousand.

Hope it helps although a bit off piste.
    Roy
    roycv
    Chief Petty Officer 1st Class
    ๐Ÿ“ Motors
    Flag
    Online: 1 second ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Hi KV and amps are 2 different things, KV is short for rpm per volt, so a 600 KV motor is 600 revs per volt from the battery. So multiply the volts from the battery times the quoted ?KV. Usually used with brushless motors.

Amps are the rate at which the little electrons are speeding through the system.

ESC's are often quoted in amps but note the maximum voltage that they are meant for. Volts times amps equals Watts.

Watts is a measurement of power.
    A domestic fire may be 2KW (2000 watts). It is all much the same as a model electric motor which may be quoted at 50 watts max. power. If you multiply amps times volts you get an answer in Watts. That is the simple way to look at it.

You cannot 'make' a motor run at 50 watts. It all depends on the load you put on it. Probably the diameter and pitch of a propellor.

There is another set of similar letters KVA this is usually used as a substitute for Watts but only for domestic AC mains supply and other AC circuits.
    Hope this helps,
    Roy
    NigelTailyour
    Leading Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Motors
    Flag
    Online: 4 days ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    Are we going twin motors?
    Brushless perhaps or traditional?
    I'm still learning
    Maverick
    Master Seaman
    ๐Ÿ“ Motors
    Flag
    Online: 9 hours ago
    ๐Ÿ˜Š View Profile
    ๐Ÿ’ฌ Send PM
    I have alot of good advice about motors my problem is some motors are quoted in watts and KV, so what do i need for my proposed 48" Huntman and what ESC if not 120 amp please.

About This Website
    Terms of Service
    Privacy Policy
    Cookies used in this website are gluten free, wheat free and dairy free. By using this website you agree to our use of cookies. More Info